Sign in to follow this  

Is the One Industries Atom helmet safe?

I just picked up a One industries Atom helmet for $170 and took it out this morning to find out it felt insanely flimsey compared to my fox V3 I'm replacing and was wondering what you guys thought of the helmet or if any of you guys were using it. The only reason I'm worried is cause my throttle got stuck and I went over the bars face first two weeks ago and broke the jaw piece off my fox V3 and that was a $400 helmet so I dont really know how the Atom helmet is going to work out. I'm going to be riding close to b class level so would it suit me well enough? So just wondering if I should return it or pick up a more expensive helmet and which one you guys would recommend for around $300, and thanks for any input ahead of time. And I've got another week till my neck and back are healed enough to ride so I'll definitely be reading these haha.

I just picked up a One industries Atom helmet for $170 and took it out this morning to find out it felt insanely flimsey compared to my fox V3 I'm replacing and was wondering what you guys thought of the helmet or if any of you guys were using it. The only reason I'm worried is cause my throttle got stuck and I went over the bars face first two weeks ago and broke the jaw piece off my fox V3 and that was a $400 helmet so I dont really know how the Atom helmet is going to work out. I'm going to be riding close to b class level so would it suit me well enough? So just wondering if I should return it or pick up a more expensive helmet and which one you guys would recommend for around $300, and thanks for any input ahead of time. And I've got another week till my neck and back are healed enough to ride so I'll definitely be reading these haha.

I can't tell you how safe it is but I've had cheap helmets that have been very unsafe. And like everyone says its better to pay a lot now than pay a whole lot more when your in the hospital with some facial reconstruction or brain surgery! So if I was you I would return it and get a more pricy helmet. Just my thoughts! Get well soon with you neck and back that's not anything to mess with. If I was you I would give it about a month. Just to make sure nothing is really messed up! Again those are my thoughts.

One of the online retailers has shoei helmets on clearance for around $350. Sorry can't remember which one but have a look around I've even seen Bell moto 9 for $250

Thanks, ya I think I'm going to send it back and pick up a shoei VF-W for about $430. Little bit of a price jump but I think it will be worth it, and I'll keep checking around for the ones for 350. I'll definitely be resting this month though, got back on my bike this morning and could barely ride it around my trail haha. Thanks for the help

I got an atom for christmas and i personally like it. It doesn't really feel cheap to me but i've never owned a high end expensive helmet. It is dot and snell 2010 approved if that means anything. The sizing is spot on for me so i feel safe with it. I've never felt unsafe in it or worried about it not protecting me in a crash.

I know the Troy Lee Air helmet is going for $330 on Motosport right now. I know Troy Lee makes good gear and most of the time their helmets are expensive because of the way the look but I think they're pretty solid. Know a few guys who wrecked pretty bad with that helmet on in the desert. But it's all up to you, go to a few local shops and see them in person if you can.

Edited by TannerCRF250

I got an atom for christmas and i personally like it. It doesn't really feel cheap to me but i've never owned a high end expensive helmet. It is dot and snell 2010 approved if that means anything. The sizing is spot on for me so i feel safe with it. I've never felt unsafe in it or worried about it not protecting me in a crash.

Ya I actually liked the helmet a lot, It's just my dads paranoid since i was in the hospital a while from this crash so I guess he just wants to make sure it's safe

Hmm I actually haven't looked at troy lee I'll go check them out tonight, thanks

The Atom is a decent helmet. One Industries helmets sometimes feel 'cheap' because they are polycarbonate, rather than fiberglass, and thus they are lighter and flex a bit more. But the liner is good quality (they have DOT ratings and some are SNELL rated. Any helmet, whether Shoei, One Industries or AFX can only protect you up to a certain point. The ferocity of your crash will dictate a lot.