Sign in to follow this  

Whats the perfect PSI power washer for washing bikes?

Opinions? Whats best psi for washing bikes. Looking to buy tomorow. Thanks

1800psi electric Karcher, works great and not so much power that you have to worry about blowing seals and stuff.

• Like 2

Does it take that thin slimy dirty layer off of hoses and stuff? If you know what i mean lol. Is it enough power to take off the thin layer of stuff left over after you hose a bike off?

2800 psi wiht adjustable knobs, a pressure washer wont blow seals unless your a DA and put the gun right on the seals and spray um, i have been using the same pressure washer on bikes since 09 and wash them atleast once a week and have never had a blown seal or anything due to washing, just took the wheels apart on both bikes and none of the nipples were sized either, people who have problems pressure washing bikes must not know the does and donts

• Like 2

Does it take that thin slimy dirty layer off of hoses and stuff? If you know what i mean lol. Is it enough power to take off the thin layer of stuff left over after you hose a bike off?

That's what Shout is for.

• Like 1

ya i know what you mean. I ride in some nasty woods and on an mx track that has a lot of clay mixed in. The Karcher with a little simple green does a nice job, even on the white graphics I have.

ya i know what you mean. I ride in some nasty woods and on an mx track that has a lot of clay mixed in. The Karcher with a little simple green does a nice job, even on the white graphics I have.

^^^100%^^^

I love simple green . Liquid magic.

Ok so back on topic guys, is 1800 psi good enough to get all the stuff off? I use simple green already so thats not a problem. I want to buy today

• Like 1

There are a lot of things to consider. Space, fuel type (gas or electric) water consumption, nozzle type, and so on.

Personally I say if you have the space I say go big, you can always stand a little farther away if it has too much power or turn the throttle down or change nozzles. I use a Honda 2800psi and love it. You need to be careful around the delicate stuff, like rubber (coolant hoses and such) and graphics but it will get all the nasty off the hard to get to areas like hubs and so on.

An 1800psi electric is nice and small and imho will work with one of those rotating nozzles but without it on the muddy days you will be there for way too long. Then of course you need a way to power it away from the house.

I bought an inexpensive Greenworks unit from Lowes and it works great. Added the $10 warranty and I use the hell out of it. Guy I ride with has the same one. After about a 18 months, his crapped out. (My Karcher crapped out in less time I think) He walked into Lowe's, told them it crapped out, and they said, OK, just go grab another new one off the shelf. Even w/o a replacement warranty, $100 for a washer that will get me 18 months to 2 years is worth it as much as I use it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55986-53393-51142_0__?productId=3606942&Ntt=pressure+washers&Ns=p_product_price|0

• Like 1

Those small ones work good enough, but I feel it's more about the GPMs than the PSI. My 1800 PSI 1.5 GPM electric works, but I have to get really close to blast the mud out when it's packed in thick. My 2800 PSI gas (4 GPM I think) throws a whole lot more water. Last week it took me over 30 minutes to wash my bike with the big pressure washer. This would have probably taken over an hour with the small one, and who knows how long it would have taken if I used just a garden hose. After a normal non-muddy race it takes less than 5 minutes to wash a bike with the big pressure washer.

Edited by emerybrian

2856psi is the calculted optimal psi. Factoring in 10 mph southeast winds and 80% relative humidity, you need 2937psi. :goofy:

I am also in the GPM camp....3.0gpm works well for me. I was shocked how expensive an electric power washer is at 2.5gpm.

Well i bought a karcher 1800psi k3.690 pressure washer. Works great! Just did the back deck no problem. Cant wait to try it on the bike this week! I was very surprised the pressure that an 1800 psi put out

I have an 1800 karcher, i love it. Just throw some simple green or purple power on it, and wash.

If you have white plastics, get some soft scrub for optimal cleaning.....

If you wash it during a solar eclipse then you need to reduce the pressure by 4 x 1.25 x centrifugal force of your garden hose or else you might damage your right side crankcase seal