Sign in to follow this  

2011 450 SXF

I'm going to check this bike out tomorrow and possibly purchase... Anything in particular I should inquire about or look out for ?

I am coming off my 2005 RM 250. But its time for a change... do tell :)

I have this bike and I will tell you it is the most bulletproof bike I have ever had. It just keeps going and going and going. Any part that breaks will be your own fault and whatever you have heard you need to do as far as rebuilds in the motor just double that because the motor lasts FOREVER. I race B class in my area. Usually mid pack but its still track riding and I'm a revver. My motors don't usually last too long but I've been tearing this thing down and it looks brand new everytime I open it up and it's all right on spec. You'll love it! Just do a normal check procedure on it. No recalls to watch out for which is nice when buying used cuz the guy can't bullshit you. Radiators, subframe, check the airbox and oil glass to see how he takes care of regular maintenance. Run it. If its all on point take her home. I hope it works out for you because this is truly the best bike I've ever owned

P.S one thing I would do if you're really hard on the clutch is replace it with the 2012 clutch assembly or a good aftermarket one. It's totally fine and will last well stock but at the end of a long day where you've been hard on it it starts to fade a bit. I have a full Hinson kit since I get a good discount from them and they treat me good. Seriously the only negative I've found in 2 years and 250 track hours

I went ahead and traded my RM 250 for this bike. So far my extremely stoked. I do need to spend some time removing parts/pieces to see the best way to get to certain parts for maintenance but otherwise the power is surprisingly smooth as well as pulling hard; but not as jerky as my old rmz 450 was. Im getting to take her out later today on a small half-hour trail ride...well report back again after :)

IMG-20130419-00039.jpg

I went ahead and traded my RM 250 for this bike. So far my extremely stoked. I do need to spend some time removing parts/pieces to see the best way to get to certain parts for maintenance but otherwise the power is surprisingly smooth as well as pulling hard; but not as jerky as my old rmz 450 was. Im getting to take her out later today on a small half-hour trail ride...well report back again after :)

Congrats! The only problem I've had with mine is blowing through the mid stroke on the forks. I re-sprung for 220lbs and added about 10 cc of oil. Not great but much better! Other than that no complaints! Check my sig line to see what I comparing against. Oh yeah, keep an eye on the sprocket bolts and the right side chain adjuster bolt! The motor is rock solid!
  • Like 1

Yeah so far everything seems perfectly fine except this electric start. Are the batteries that crappy that I should have to keep a tender on it daily ?

I bought the bike Wednesday (it started first try and 2 more times that day to test run it though the gears and my neighborhood).

Parked her overnight, put here in my truck and drive 7hours for a trip. Boom no starting... I had to bump start here (which was easy) and went for a short trail ride (5-8) miles. put her away.

The next day..no starting.. I was fortunate enough to have a battery tender and hooked it up.. Once it was charged up it started like a champ. Fast forward 3 hours. I go on a 20 mile trail ride. Get to a gnarly rocky hill climb and stall her.

No problem..hit the button..she fires right up...stall her again..hit the button... click, ...nothing...

I again just pointed her downhill and bump started her and on my third try made the hill climb; but the battery seems weak. Im just curious what everyone elses experience with the electric starting is..Thanks!

And boy does this thing pull..its very very nice :)

Congrats! The only problem I've had with mine is blowing through the mid stroke on the forks. I re-sprung for 220lbs and added about 10 cc of oil. Not great but much better! Other than that no complaints! Check my sig line to see what I comparing against. Oh yeah, keep an eye on the sprocket bolts and the right side chain adjuster bolt! The motor is rock solid!

As part of my purchase i got the suspension costs rolled in. I should have that all worked out by this up coming weekend and be set to roll :)

On my 11 450SXF I was also having starting issues that appeared to be battery related. I put in a Shorai and still had the problem. After doing a Thumpertalk search I found the post (with pictures)regarding the auto decompression wear issue. I replaced my exhaust cam and cam follower and the problem was fixed. I bought this bike new in April of 2011 and other than this the bike has been the most bulletproof bike I have ever owned.

Out of intrest what weight springs did you use for 220lb rider ?

Out of intrest what weight springs did you use for 220lb rider ?

I went up one spring rate front and rear from stock. I'm a Nevada desert rider.

On my 11 450SXF I was also having starting issues that appeared to be battery related. I put in a Shorai and still had the problem. After doing a Thumpertalk search I found the post (with pictures)regarding the auto decompression wear issue. I replaced my exhaust cam and cam follower and the problem was fixed. I bought this bike new in April of 2011 and other than this the bike has been the most bulletproof bike I have ever owned.

I went through the same issues. I have an 08, but its the same motor. Super reliable once you change out that exhaust cam. Its not expensive.

to the OP, if you are trail riding, like I do, then get the flywheel weight for it. Its a noticeable difference in traction.

Edited by mauricedorris

Picked up a 2012 Factory Edition last fall and love the bike. Coming off a custom built CRF450 and YZF450 I would say the KTM handles well and the power is smooth and manageable. Stock exhaust is just a little to quiet for my liking and looking to pick up a slip on for a little more breathing.

My Honda had a Darcy built motor and pipe and that bike was very loud-as most Honda's are.

I had some leftover Yamalube 4R motor oil and dealer told me that would be fine to run.

Using No-Toil cleaner and filter oil and find that works well and easy to deal with.

Stock battery seems good-started bike and ran several times throughout the winter and no issues there.

Items on wish list;

Slip On -either Yoshi or FMF

Skid plate

Header pipe shield

Due to rainy weather in New England-our weekend races were cancelled.