What bike should I get? XR200 or yz250f

I'm 17, 5'11" 230lbs, I havent ridden a dirt bike since I was on a crf80 back in the day. I have ridden Atv's for a couple years just for fun and now want to get back into dirt bikes. I plan on riding in the woods and on tracks a little. I will ride with my buddies who have 400ex's a xr600 and a cr250 I'm looking into an xr200 a ttr/crf230 or a 250cc dirt bike, which bike do you think would be best for me?

Back in the day? You're 17, you're still in the day? An xr 200 or 230 will be small heavy trail bikes. I would go for a full size bike.

defiantly the yz250f since you have some expierce

YZ would be much more fun.

I'm going to vote for the YZ250F for sure. I was in a very similar situation when I bought my bike (2005 YZ250F) ... I had a fair amount of riding experience on quads and had ridden dirt/trail bikes as a kid. I have been riding my 250f for almost 2 years now and I still like it a lot. It has enough power that it still gives me the big grin from time to time but not so much that I feel like its riding me lol. I'm also a bigger guy 6'1" 220# and I trail ride 95% of the time.

Yeah I like the versatility of the yz and that it has plenty of power for anything you throw at it. The only thing I'm hesitant about with the 250 is that it is a bigger bike (physical size and power wise) and as you said Yamablaser I don't want the bike to ride me. I think I would adjust to the bike fast but I haven't been on one for awhile. I'll definitely consider both bikes, but if either bike comes up for sale and is a good deal I'll be sure to buy it.

Yeah I like the versatility of the yz and that it has plenty of power for anything you throw at it. The only thing I'm hesitant about with the 250 is that it is a bigger bike (physical size and power wise) and as you said Yamablaser I don't want the bike to ride me. I think I would adjust to the bike fast but I haven't been on one for awhile. I'll definitely consider both bikes, but if either bike comes up for sale and is a good deal I'll be sure to buy it.

gotta be the one of the stupidest things said around here when somebody says you weigh too much for a full size bike...i know of guys that weigh 220 and can rip it in A class, pastrana weighs 205, mike larocco weighed 195 while he was still goin and they were some of the best of the best. i dont think an extra 30 lbs is going to hinder somebody from having the time of their life trail riding at probably a novice level

I think you will be happy initially with either bike honestly. Really who doesn't get excited when they buy a dirt bike!! One other piece of advice I would give you is if at all possible ... ride both bikes ... and ask yourself if you can handle the power, size, and maintenance of the YZF and also ask yourself if you are going to be bored in a month on the XR. The XR is a great bike but depending on your personality and riding style it may leave you wanting more relatively quickly.

Happy Trails!

I had a 2001 Honda XR200R and that was a great bike. It was very reliable. The downsides were that it was small, heavy, and lacking the power I wanted. I moved to a 2002 Yamaha YZ250F and am loving it. It's great for the woods and the power is manageable. I would highly suggest a YZ250F.

Ride a 250f first, then a 200. If you do it the other way around you will be focusing on the power alone and not the other aspects of the bike.