Sign in to follow this  

2012 shifting issue questions

Ok I have searched and read many posts on transmission issues here…but none of the posts sound like what we are experiencing…about 50 hrs on the bike, about 3 rides ago son says he cased a jump during a MX race and he heard something snap…he thought in suspension …I checked it all and found nothing…after cleaning and rolling into garage u could hear a clicking noise coming from trans…did a prac session at MX track next ride…no complaints…next prac the bike is very difficult to shift…without using clutch it does not want to down shift or up shift when running and rolling, u have to pull clutch all way in to get a shift and it feels notchy…shut bike off, put on stand rotating rear wheel and shifting using hand…seems to shift ok through gears without clutch, bike back on ground…start bike try to shift into 1st or 2nd without clutch it won't go, pull clutch all the way in, it will go but feels notchy…ride slow and I can hear clicking in bottom end…goes into neutral fine. No false neutrals since we've had it, 10-40 semi synthetic change every 5 hours, very fine pieces of metal on filter and plug, nothing major though…suggestions?

Im affraid the only real way to know is to split the cases, im guessing a bent or warped shift fork or something related

Yea Funkin, thats what Im afraid of....well I took all the shifter mechanicals off the right side, and moving the drum by hand (without the spring and detent roller) it feels just fine, smooth...easy....goes through the gears no problem, spinning the input shaft by hand sometimes and everything feels fine, so right now I'm thinking I have a problem in the shifter mechanicals somewhere. I dont hear any abnormal noises in the trans gears while i'm spinning the rear tire or the input shaft and every gear together, no metal in the oil or filter or screens, the teeth on the gears I can see through little passages on the right side all look fine.....granted I'm only looking at one gear on the output side and one gear on the input side. The shift shaft is straight, so maybe its the springs and pawls that are between the shift drum and shift shaft fork on the right side.......more investigating today.......damn i do not want to split the cases......I just did the top end less than 5 hrs ago........

Yea Funkin, thats what Im afraid of....well I took all the shifter mechanicals off the right side, and moving the drum by hand (without the spring and detent roller) it feels just fine, smooth...easy....goes through the gears no problem, spinning the input shaft by hand sometimes and everything feels fine, so right now I'm thinking I have a problem in the shifter mechanicals somewhere. I dont hear any abnormal noises in the trans gears while i'm spinning the rear tire or the input shaft and every gear together, no metal in the oil or filter or screens, the teeth on the gears I can see through little passages on the right side all look fine.....granted I'm only looking at one gear on the output side and one gear on the input side. The shift shaft is straight, so maybe its the springs and pawls that are between the shift drum and shift shaft fork on the right side.......more investigating today.......damn i do not want to split the cases......I just did the top end less than 5 hrs ago........

its difficult to diagnose without loading the transmission as you would when riding. lets try and be optimistic and assume its in the shifting mechanism. is there any obvious wear on the pawls or damage to the springs? is there damage/wear in the shift pawl hub? check your detent mechanism+spring for proper assembly. its good that you verified that the shift shaft is straight, try putting it back together and recheck for smooth shifting (use a lot of lube on the shift pawls after reassembly to unsure smooth action), maybe they got dislodged under the hard hit. if its still giving you grief than i personally would tear it down, if youve done the top-end your only gonna have to worry about a set of seals and gaskets. on the plus side, the bottom end on suzukis are as simple as 2-strokes

Ok so after taking the whole right side apart, inspecting everything and basically finding nothing, other than noting one of the shift pawls and its pin and spring fell out when I was disassembling and really thought nothing of it.......thought they fell out due to me taking it apart..........but maybe that was it? Man the way suzuki has the shifter mechanism set up......theres a bunch of monkey motion going on to shift the bike! I remember when we were racing 65's and 85's and the trannys on those were sooooooo simple!!! This is the first suzuki I have been into by the way, have plenty of others brands under my belt........I'm really impressed with how little the clutch basket and center hub has worn and barely any notching & this after 50 hrs on the motor.....anyway......I reassembled everything and fired it up........shifts through the gears with no issues, clutch or no clutch.......so next stop is the track for some hard laps to see how it holds up.........I'll post up after that....maybe wednesday afternoon.......

split the cases. I'd bet you have a broken shift fork or a gear sheared from one of the transmission shafts. while your in there look the parts over very good. the trannies on these bikes are junk. I'd replace any suspect part. And i would send it in and have it treated. Did a complete tranny overhaul to my sons 2011 and did the treatment. Threw on a full hinson clutch setup and the thing is a silky smooth shifter that now has close to 100 hrs of riding on it since. This is an abusive A rider. So it's holding up like a dream.

Ok so after taking the whole right side apart, inspecting everything and basically finding nothing, other than noting one of the shift pawls and its pin and spring fell out when I was disassembling and really thought nothing of it.......thought they fell out due to me taking it apart..........but maybe that was it? Man the way suzuki has the shifter mechanism set up......theres a bunch of monkey motion going on to shift the bike! I remember when we were racing 65's and 85's and the trannys on those were sooooooo simple!!! This is the first suzuki I have been into by the way, have plenty of others brands under my belt........I'm really impressed with how little the clutch basket and center hub has worn and barely any notching & this after 50 hrs on the motor.....anyway......I reassembled everything and fired it up........shifts through the gears with no issues, clutch or no clutch.......so next stop is the track for some hard laps to see how it holds up.........I'll post up after that....maybe wednesday afternoon.......

i dont think the shift pawl shouldnt just fall out on their own unless they fell out while you disassembled the retaining plate. its possible that they got jammed up but it would be wise to identify why they fell out in the first place. i guess you can try riding it, but if the problem reoccurs park it immediately and take her appart. its not worth something coming apart and taking the whole tranny with it. Oh I agree that the shifting mechanism is a poor design, and i also agree that the clutch holds up pretty good too. still not sold on the tranny being junk though. Although im no A rider (more of a midpack B rider myself) ive been slowly racking up the hours and no problems to report... yet

Ok so took it out to the track today and rode it hard and put it up wet........shifting was flawless......so don't have an answer for this one, I did inspect everything very close......I know I'm happy it's not the tranny!!