New toy!

Hey guys! I had a big topic all written out but I'm on my cell and it erased it all!

I will update this tomorrow when I get to work but here is my new to me xr4!

Goodies:

Crf450x front fender

Baja Designs Squadron led front + dual sport kit

Trail Tech Vapor

Applied triple clamp

Pro tapers

Desert tank

Pegs

Shock / fork work

440 kit

Mikuni pumper

Exhaust

Polisport rear with led tail and flush mount blinkers from Baja Designs

Excel wheels

Wasn't a runner when I picked it up - after 6 years of not one kick other than mine for about 30 minutes last week, the pumper carb had it fired up and running in 2!

Hmm, there was pictures

ledtail1.jpg

frontfull.jpg

frontend1d.jpg

Still have to put the black seat cover and fork books on to finish the look of black and white. Kenda's still waiting to be mounted too

how much?? sweet headlight... thats worth a pretty penny right there...

and fresh top end with pumper... bet it rips!!

got leaky fork seals??

purple tubes = 96 or 97??? what year?

It was a older friends that is moving to Oregon and couldn't take it. Hasn't been registered since '07. So after the back fees and bike purchase, I'm into it $1000 plus all the update parts and dual sport kit.

It's a '96 and at some point he had all the suspension redone, so no leaks here.

In a riding position you can't even tell its 17 years old. Pro tapers, new light and a new crfx fender make it feel like a brand new ride ;)

How bright is that headlight? Is it too bright to be used on road?

How bright is that headlight? Is it too bright to be used on road?

It's technically not DOT, but I am going to chance it. It is really bright (I plan on running trails at night down the road) and would probably upset some drivers in oncoming traffic, but I aimed low for the time being.

I"m going white with my 350 right now, take some pics later.

I'd like that Squadran on my 400 for trails for sure, did they sell it like that in the BD shell or did you rig it? I've got a Polisport laying around and it mentions using that so it's tempting.

It's technically not DOT, but I am going to chance it. It is really bright (I plan on running trails at night down the road) and would probably upset some drivers in oncoming traffic, but I aimed low for the time being.

Baja Designs sells a dimmer for that light so you can get a high/low beam. Still won't make it DOT approved but you won't piss people off so bad either or have to run it adjusted pointing so low it's useless. Check out ADVrider site in the vendors section for baja designs squadron thread. Some really impressive comparison pics on that.

Link to thread (page 3) - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745429&page=3

Night pics start on page 3. Comparison shots to a trail tech x2 hid on page 4. Many more random ones after that.

I'd like that Squadran on my 400 for trails for sure, did they sell it like that in the BD shell or did you rig it? I've got a Polisport laying around and it mentions using that so it's tempting.

I bought it ready to bolt up on the bike from Baja Designs. I have used their stuff on a lot of vehicles since I am a dealer for them.

I actually rode home last night on the SoCal freeways and didnt have anyone give me the bird on the freeway, nor the streets to my house. Passed several cops / CHP and none of them blinked an eye.

The light truly works great, much better than most of the car lights on the freeway which was cool ;) I also know what I want for gearing now too, going to jump to a 16/40 just for the street since this is what this bike is mainly for, the 15/43 that is on it right now is good for 45-50 mph comfortable cruise and top speed of 80 before I felt that I was a little too high in the rpm's for that long.

The shell pictured is the polisport shell we offer it in

The shell pictured is the polisport shell we offer it in

Hey, I just got a new shell/headlight (white) from BD and I'm swapping the electronics over. The replacement came with rubber mounting straps, but I'm guessing I should use the screw clamp mounts that came with the dual sport kit originally ? (weight with battery and all up there)

Wish I'd thought of that before I took them off. :ride:

Edited by MLB007

Yes the clamp mounts will be a little more stable with all the weight but the rubber should still work good.

Little update.

The choke "knob" pulled off in the first week of riding, so thankfully it starts first or second kick even after a week of sitting. The pumper carb works great, but I think the float is either sticking open or is set too high. If I shut the bike off and let it sit with the fuel on for 30 seconds or 5 hours it will leak like crazy, a full gas tank is worse. Even after all was said and done with the leaky fuel I get right around 45-50mpg ;) Wayyyy better than my Raptor. I think the taller 16/40 combo will help too.

I have had the Kenda rear on for a month now? and it has 400 miles on it. Pretty good rubber for the price so far and what I need it for. Hasn't touched dirt yet, but the street works just fine at 18psi. Still need to get it balanced as I have a 3 mile stretch of 60mph that lets the rear flop around a bit. The rest of my commute is 35-45 mph and no issues at all.

Still to do:

Install the black seat cover

Install the black fork boots

Install the Kenda front.

Been busy riding it to work and enjoying the nice beach commute :) and our work schedule is kinda busy too

P.S. Here is my other hobby. 4th place overall and 2nd place in class 1 last weekend at the BITD Silver State 300

bitd0504131623.jpg