Sign in to follow this  

No spark, bike wont start. Small metal plate on the inside of the flywheel.

Hello,

Recently a car bumped into my drz and cracked the top of the magneto stator cover. I replaced the cover without having to disconnect the stator (just unbolted it from the old cocer and put it into the new cover). When I pulled the magneto engine cover off I noticed that there was a small metal plate on the inside of the flywheel it was held by the magnet of the flywheel it has a rectangular shape and is about 2 mil thin. I picked it up but put it back where it was as I assumed there was a reason that it was there. I the stator back in and put everything together put new oil in etc. Since I did that I tried starting the bike and it cranks but does not start. I pulled the spark plug out and put tested it against the engine cover (connected the spark plug and pressed the start button) and I get no sparks. I think there must be a problem with the stator then. I am also wondering if that small metal plate should really be there. Please help if you know what it might be.

Thank you for reading.

Hello,

Recently a car bumped into my drz and cracked the top of the magneto stator cover. I replaced the cover without having to disconnect the stator (just unbolted it from the old cocer and put it into the new cover). When I pulled the magneto engine cover off I noticed that there was a small metal plate on the inside of the flywheel it was held by the magnet of the flywheel it has a rectangular shape and is about 2 mil thin. I picked it up but put it back where it was as I assumed there was a reason that it was there. I the stator back in and put everything together put new oil in etc. Since I did that I tried starting the bike and it cranks but does not start. I pulled the spark plug out and put tested it against the engine cover (connected the spark plug and pressed the start button) and I get no sparks. I think there must be a problem with the stator then. I am also wondering if that small metal plate should really be there. Please help if you know what it might be.

Thank you for reading.

everything in there, belongs there.

you likely cut a wire when reinstalling, and it's grounding.

you can do the stator check to see which lead is grounding. i'd order a new one from ricky stator now, so i could ride this weekend ;-)

The only two small metal plates like you describe is one that retains the pick up coil wires at the coil, in the cover.and one that retains the wires on the other side of the cover . If you found that stuck to the flywheel, you're missing the screw as well.

This is picture

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=59126

of the metal guard in place (red) but with the wire incorrectly mounted OUTSIDE the metal guard (green).. that black wire should be under the guard.

Without the guard in place, the wires rub on the flywheel and in just a few rotations (seconds of turning over) the flywheel rubs through the insolation and the coil grounds out.

Hello,

Thank you for reading.

E. Marquez yes. I think thats the case that where the bike took the hit. The metal bit must have popped of and landed on the flywheel. It looks like I will need a new mounting bracket and a stator or can I fix the stator somehow??

It's possible to fix a damaged wire on the stator,, but difficult for most.. it's an oil infused wire that will have to be cleaned well, and not allow oil to wick down the wire while heating it for solder and then later new insolation.

The one I did, I went ahead and cut the wire through so i could but a piece of 3m adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over the repair.http://www.mouser.co...CFRRgnAodEgkA9g

Far as I know that repaired stator is still working.... but many folks do not have that good a luck I hear.

Liquid tape is another option if you can get the area clean, oil free and it's just the insolation that is damaged (no wires cut at all)

http://www.permatex....cal-tape-detail

The bracket is an L shaped piece (as you can see in the picture) retained by two socket, hex head cap screws.... Those screws have been know to vibrate loose, and why there is a known fix (medium strength threadlock) Is your cover missing those fasteners? Did the metal cover break into pieces?

E. Marquez yes. I think thats the case that where the bike took the hit. The metal bit must have popped of and landed on the flywheel. It looks like I will need a new mounting bracket and a stator or can I fix the stator somehow??

Ive got a new cover but I dont have the bracket and the bolts are missing. The only bit left on the bike was the metal piece that landed on the flywheel. When I do this work do I need to drain the oil or can I lay the bike on one sie. Thanks for your help.

Also whats in the black box that the wire leads to ?? Is it enough to just ground the wire??

Ive got a new cover but I dont have the bracket and the bolts are missing. The only bit left on the bike was the metal piece that landed on the flywheel. When I do this work do I need to drain the oil or can I lay the bike on one sie. Thanks for your help.

There are two brackets inside the cover.. the one shown above that retains the pickup coil AND guides , covers the wires, and this one

stator wire clamp.jpg

You can see the second clamp at the top of the picture. That one is retained by a single screw.

As for finding the missing bits and pieces... a magnet on an extending stick (small pencil sized one) and both side covers off, you can poke around in the case and see what you can find...Many times the bits are found stuck to the flywheel magnets.

Also whats in the black box that the wire leads to ?? Is it enough to just ground the wire??

That is the Regulator / rectifier

It turns the stator AC voltage into 12v DC, and regulates the amount of current / voltage that goes into the charging system.

Look in the DRZ FAQ, for "Free Power Mod"

The black box in pix post 4? - That is the pick up coil. It controls spark timing. No wires can be grounded.

Edited by Noble
  • Like 1

That is the pick up coil. It controls spark timing. No wires can be grounded.

LOL, ,, Ohhh THAT "black box" I assumed he was looking the other direction down the wiring harness.

Good catch Noble :thumbsup:

As stated, NO grounding of those wires can happen, if you do (like yours is now) you get no spark

Thats good info. I had a look at the old old broken case yesterday and the bit that holds the pick up coil got ripped out and is missing so are screws etc... Now I definitely know where the little plate on the magnet of the flywheel came from. It was part of the bracket that holds the cable from the pick up coil... I have managed to buy a second hand stator that is faulty but has a working pick up coil. Ill attempt to do a transplant at the weekend. E.Marquez you said that you did that fix. Are the cables in the insolation different colours?? How many cables do I need to solder? Are the any hidden quirks that I should be aware of? Thank you for your help.