Slime in tires

I will be going on a 500 mile ride through Baja with a group of friends. This will be my first ride through Baja, so I have been prepping my crf 450x. My question is who uses slime in their tires for Baja. The group I ride with says it is not necessary and it makes a bigger mess than its worth. Reading their advertising it seems to be a no-brainier to run in the tires.

Looking for any feedback.....Thanks

I used slime but I prefer a stuff called Puncture sealed Goo from GUNK.

Reason being that slime turns more liquidish over time and changes its color to black. You cannot parch your tubes with any of those liquids and have to vulcanize.

The area I ride in is almost free of cactus and still without any of that stuff my HD tubes would loose too much pressure. Its quite an extra weight though.

typo

Edited by arnego2

Congrats on your ride in baha.

I have been through the state from top to bottom and side to side.

I would not run slime for that ride.

Even on the primitive trails your biggest enemy will be rocks and sand. A cut tire or bent rim are the most likely scenarios.

The bib mousse would be a good investment.

Stay safe.

I will be going on a 500 mile ride through Baja with a group of friends. This will be my first ride through Baja, so I have been prepping my crf 450x. My question is who uses slime in their tires for Baja. The group I ride with says it is not necessary and it makes a bigger mess than its worth. Reading their advertising it seems to be a no-brainier to run in the tires.

Looking for any feedback.....Thanks

Slime works best with a tubeless setup like a car or streetbike wheel (or a dirt wheel with the Tublis setup). In a tube, it doesn't work as well since the inner tube flexes too much for it to seal up properly. I'd run some UHD tubes and carry a spare and tools to fix a flat. Also probably want to run an extra PSI or 2 in your tires to be safe.

Edited by CBus660R

I run the Tubliss setup front and rear and have for a few years now. I used to run slime, but never found that it actually worked. The only thing it was good for was making it easy to find the hole (green stuff would be oozing out of it) but then the plug wouldn't stick as well. Also made for a real mess when changing tires.

I am surprised to hear so many against slime. When I lived in Arizona it seemed most of us ran slime. At first I just used UHD tubes, but would have numerous slow leaks almost every ride thanks to Cholla needles. Mountain bike was even worse, at one point I fixed something like 6 flats in 3 rides. Slimed everything and had spectacular results. Yes its a little harder to patch, but rarely needed to anyway. If there was any pressure left in the tube it would push slime out and make a mess of patching. Deflate, clean, patch as normal. I probably have 4-5 year old patches still holding on all our bicycles and the YZ.

I am surprised to hear so many against slime. When I lived in Arizona it seemed most of us ran slime. At first I just used UHD tubes, but would have numerous slow leaks almost every ride thanks to Cholla needles. Mountain bike was even worse, at one point I fixed something like 6 flats in 3 rides. Slimed everything and had spectacular results. Yes its a little harder to patch, but rarely needed to anyway. If there was any pressure left in the tube it would push slime out and make a mess of patching. Deflate, clean, patch as normal. I probably have 4-5 year old patches still holding on all our bicycles and the YZ.

I guess here in Ohio, we don't deal with the fine needles like that, just bigger thorns and pinch flats. Here, Slime doesn't do much in a tube. Like I said, in tires on a tubeless setup since the tire is stiffer, it does work well.

I use slime with tubliss, but I never liked it in tubes--it just never seemed to do much good. I would go tubliss if possible ($$) as you can ride on flats if necessary, normal flats take moments to fix with a plug, and the stiffer sidewall/inner tube protect your rims. Slime never bothered me for patching (or plugs now with tubliss). Just clean the area up with a some gas. In the Tublis the slime acts as a lubricant and lets the plugs slide into the tire carcass.

Slime just makes changing tires a pain in the ass. Rarely works due to such flex in the tire/tube while ridding and you will want to shoot yourself if you get anything bigger than a hole the size of a thorn

I've never ridden desert but have a horrible problem with getting flats in the rear tire. I tried slime and it works well for me. Sometimes after a ride or when taking a break I see a couple green drops from where a hole was. Pretty decent product. Not great, but it works for me.

Use slime in all tubes here, riding for 43 yrs here in AZ. never a flat on a ride. Destroyed rims, cut tires, of coarse didn't help in those cases.