Sign in to follow this  

Auto clutch

Was wondering if anyone on this forum is running an auto clutch on their 400 and if they are still available?

yes some here are running them. (not me)

No, they are no longer available.

I spoke with EFM via e-mail a couple of weeks ago. For $695 you send them your entire clutch and they will build one specifically for your bike.

www.efmautoclutch.com

Edited by mtngoat

Thanks for that info. One quick question, if you use their clutch and need a repair part, do you think that may be an issue in the future?

I spoke with EFM via e-mail a couple of weeks ago. For $695 you send them your entire clutch and they will build one specifically for your bike.

www.efmautoclutch.com

I emailed EFM and he said they can do an auto clutch for both an XR200 and 400. This surprised me. I am almost more inclined to do it for the 200 first for my wife. The answer to this question will be critical...with the EFM clutch, will I lose engine braking or it will be the same as a Honda ATV? The ATV's have super engine braking? When my wife is going down a steep hill, engine braking will super important.

Sorry, I don't know about the engine braking question. You might want to talk to EFM about that. I just talked to them on the phone and they do some modifications to your existing hub baskets, so if you've got some worn basket parts you might want to replace them before sending everything off to EFM. My outer basket is a fairly new Wiseco with no wear, so it wasn't an issue, but my inner hub basket had some noticeable grooves starting. I've got a new Pro X inner hub coming and I'll be sending things off to EFM as soon as I get the hub.

I emailed EFM and he said they can do an auto clutch for both an XR200 and 400. This surprised me. I am almost more inclined to do it for the 200 first for my wife. The answer to this question will be critical...with the EFM clutch, will I lose engine braking or it will be the same as a Honda ATV? The ATV's have super engine braking? When my wife is going down a steep hill, engine braking will super important.

Pretty sure discussion at the time was that you do lose engine braking and it free wheels downhill. I "think" the other maker ® can be made to still have engine braking.

After reading a little more on EFM's website, they state that engine braking remains the same until you come to idle speed. I did a google search and found an old discussion on TT where they talked about engine braking on the EFM going away at idle, but by cracking the throttle just a little it will engage the clutch enough to give you some engine braking. Hope this helps oldmanrip.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/104348-efm-auto-clutch-review/

I have a revloc in my bike. Best thing you can do for a trail bike IMO.

es, you still have engine braking if you get the revs up to where the clutch engages. It can be a little disconcerting at first but once you get the hang of it, it is no big deal. You crest a hill, let off the gas and start down the other side, there is no engine braking since you were at idle when you started down. You just blip the throttle to bring the revs up, which makes you go faster downhill for 1/2 a second, then you let off the gas and since the clutch is engaged and the revs are above idle with engine braking, you just continue down the hill under engine braking. If you downshift or upshift going down the hill, you will have to blip the throttle again like the first time to get the clutch engaged again.

I have a revloc in my bike. Best thing you can do for a trail bike IMO.

I wanted one badly when they sold their last bunch of them, but them going out of production scared me off. Still would like to have one.

I have the revloc. It took a little while to set up and adjust but overall i really really like it. Pros: very rarely stalls so no side hill scary kick starts, no left hand strain or soreness from clutch work, confidence to try and climb anything especially when using tubliss and MT43 trials with 7 psi,can do the slowest most technical riding with ease Cons: no bump start but i have the eddy pumper carb so she always starts with just a little half kick when warm, when the bike is running always has a little pull so you have to keep a hand on the front brake,if you stop on a hill bike free wheels if you stop the motor so again gotta use the brakes to stay put, harder to do pop clutch wheelies, hard to shift into neutral when the motor is running. So it's definitely not the endall must have for every rider, but i can live with the cons for my style riding. I have logged prob 2000 or more miles on it dual sport, baja, single track,everything an xr400 does without any problems. My riding buddy noticed immediate improvement in my riding and confidence level. For me it makes the xr an unstoppable machine. Braap!

It is kind of a bummer when you stop for lunch/snacks on a trail that is not perfectly flat and the bike wants to either roll forwards or backwards down the hill.

I have a velcro strap wrapped around my right handlebar so I can take it and wrap it around the handlebar and brake lever to hold the brake on for those occasions.

For anyone considering the EFM, I have a little information. I sent my clutch assembly in for them to do for me. I have a Wiseco outer basket and apparently it screws things up for them because the aftermarket baskets are thinner than the stock baskets. They are making it work with my Wiseco, but it has taken some extra time.

My bike is in getting a complete motor rebuild right now with big bore, oversize intake valves, BSR 42 carb, and stage 2 Hotcam. So when everything is back together I should have a very good idea about how this auto-clutch works with a worked up motor. The mechanic doing the work for me says everything should be back together before the end of the month, so expect a report the 1st or 2nd week of June after I've had a chance to put a few "mountain goat" miles on her here in northern Wyoming.