Sign in to follow this  

Not going fast enough !

Ok, here is my problem. Just got back into riding( been bot 5yrs off). I feel like I'm going fast till I hit a double or step up. Just something that I need to get over. Don't know if this is a 4 stroke thing or what ?? I ride a 450. Maybe just need more time getting my butt & brain connected ! Ha. So does anyone else have this problem ? Thanks

• Like 1

Don't let off the gas, most 450s have huge engine braking, keep a steady amount of gas all the way up and off the lip. Practise on smaller tables to get a feel and then just attack a nice step up

stay on the gas longer going into the corner and work on getting back on the gas sooner. you will get it back again.. just keep riding.. nothing you read can replace seat time! its all timing! i would hit up a vet track or just go to a field and practice hitting your braking points and getting back on the gas for the turn... go further and further until it feels normal.

Thats really weird because I feel slower on a 450 but my friends try to tell me im faster on it compared to my 250 2 stroke. I'd swear its the opposite because I feel like im flying on it.

It might be that your not shifting. Try to use the gears and ride the bike in the lower revs as these 450s make most the power down there any ways. Stefan Everts was know to lug the big in the higher gears.

Ok, here is my problem. Just got back into riding( been bot 5yrs off). I feel like I'm going fast till I hit a double or step up. Just something that I need to get over. Don't know if this is a 4 stroke thing or what ?? I ride a 450. Maybe just need more time getting my butt & brain connected ! Ha. So does anyone else have this problem ? Thanks

The 450 gives you a lot of leeway when it comes to jumping, you can hit things coming out of a corner pretty easily where it would have been a little more difficult on a 2t. If I understand what your describing you are coming up short on doubles and step ups, correct. I have this problem at times because I revert back to how I rode a 2t. I chop the throttle at the top of the face and it kills the drive, resulting in me landing short. Like Rotaholic said, kep the gas on all the way off the lip and it'll make a big difference.

• Like 1

Thanks guys ! Need more practice w/ jumping and keeping my speed up. I notice also I tend to move my body back like 2 stroke. Really need to keep body more center and forward on 4S. I'm 46 and in my day we just got out there and rode as fast as we could. Not so much technical riding. Ha. I did ride most big Amateur races (Ponca city & Loretta Lynn) both on 85 & 125. Now on 4S it's so much more technical type riding. Maybe it's due to so much power ?? Anyway, thanks again for tips !!!

• Like 3