Drz400s Overflow Tank removal help

Hey guys, I just bought a 2000 Drz400s, and I am new to the forums. So I just bought the bike Sunday and have done the typical maintenance on it to get it running fine. Only problem is; I pushed my finger on the overflow tank and my finger went right through with hardly any pressure. I tried to remove it but it seems to be a pain in the ass.

My question is, does anyone have a simple walkthrough or something on how to remove this thing without feeling like I'm going to rip a tube in half trying to take them off?

You mean the coolant overflow tank right? In my opinion I'd remove the bolts and loosen the rear subframe and pull the subframe back abit for some extra room.

if you take the top bolt off the subframe and the 2 on the sides the subframe can move around abit, it may help in getting it out or someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Hey guys, I just bought a 2000 Drz400s, and I am new to the forums. So I just bought the bike Sunday and have done the typical maintenance on it to get it running fine. Only problem is; I pushed my finger on the overflow tank and my finger went right through with hardly any pressure. I tried to remove it but it seems to be a pain in the ass.

My question is, does anyone have a simple walkthrough or something on how to remove this thing without feeling like I'm going to rip a tube in half trying to take them off?

You’re talking about the clear coolant overflow tank below the airbox, correct? If so, there is one bolt securing it to the airbox and a tab at the front that slides into a rubber grommet behind the R/R. Remove the bolt, disconnect the radiator overflow line running to the bottom of the tank (at the tank just above the chain) and disconnect the upper overflow line from the tank (or leave it alone, because it should just pull out and its routed up and over the airbox boot and not secured to anything).

Then you just need to wiggle/twist/angle it out from under the airbox. IIRC, you pull the back of the tank out a little and then pull it backwards. That disengages the front tab of the tank. Now it’s jammed under the airbox, you just need to twist and move it a little and the whole thing should come out from the side in the space between the airbox, the main frame and the diagonal subframe tube.

Clarify, "my finger went right through"... i.e. you made a hole in the tank with your finger? If so, then just yank it out.

Yes the coolant overflow tank. I pushed my finger on it with 1-2 pounds of pressure, the tank looked like it had been pretty worn out over time, but I didn't figure it was so fragile. What I mean by I pushed my finger through it, I mean the side of the overflow tank that is most visible from the left side of the bike. It now has about a 2x1" hole in it. I will do an attempt #2 when I get home.