State Parks OHV Program + Newsletter

Hello TT members,

I'm the new guy at Arizona State Parks, in charge of the Statewide OHV Program. In the coming months, I will be rolling out some new programs to benefit OHV recreation and tuning up some of our existing projects. People often wonder what State Parks does for OHV recreation or have a misunderstanding of what we do. I invite you to join our newsletter to keep up on the latest AZ OHV news. Our primary role is to manage our Statewide OHV Fund (which includes sticker and RTP money) for the benefit of the OHV community. Over the years, we have invested in the trails you enjoy on BLM and Forest Service lands, developed educational and volunteer programs, and granted quite a bit of money to some of the organizations, like AZOHVC and BLM, that have done the trail construction you all benefit from.

State Parks has not done much to toot our own horn in recent yeas due to staffing and budget issues, hence the misunderstanding as to how we fit into the bigger picture. That has changed since I have been hired and we are working hard to get people involved in creating or improving OHV opportunities all over the state. Please take part in my Trail Talk series if you would like to chat about OHV issues in person, I created this program so I can meet with trail users on Saturdays out on the trail! Swing by and say hello at the staging area before hitting the trail.

Details about the April 20th Trail Talk is in the newsletter, including a map to get there. It's a dual sport ride on the Great Western Trail from 7 Springs to I-17.

Join our newsletter by clicking here. When you do, you'll get a copy of our latest issue. This will be the best way to track what our program is doing each month. As our website gets updated, we will provide even more detailed information about how your OHV fund is being invested.

Arizona State Parks is getting ready to do some great things, but I'll need your support to get it done! If you ever want to me to join a trail run or meeting, just shoot me an email. Most of my trips involve my mildly built tacoma or KLR650, both set up for doing long distance, backcountry travel.

DSCF0518a (Small).jpg

While I'm new to government, I've been a lifelong trail rider. Put me to work you!

take it easy,

Jeff Prince

ohv@azstateparks.gov

OHV Program Coordinator

Arizona State Parks

Nice to see you on this forum. There's quite a few of us who check in here, so it's a great place to post updates.

I too have a 2nd gen KLR650. I also ride a Honda CRF450X.

The upgrades they've been making around Table Mesa are nice. Hayfield Draw is, in my mind, one of the better OHV areas in the state. There's a good mix of riding, some jumps, berms, sand washes, and trails, all going out of one spot. It would be nice if there were more areas like Hayfield Draw closer to Phoenix. One of the best MX parks recently closed (Speedworld), and a lot of the beginner and intermediate riders are looking for places to ride now. So something with some jumps and practice areas for the MX guys would be great. There's a decent amount of "trails" already, and not quite enough places to "play".

What would be ideal, would be to make the areas south of Carefree highway, and west of I-17, an OHV area. It's currently State Trust land, but already has some really good areas/trails to ride.

Me and my friends have both the RV plates and OHV tags, plus State Trust permits.

Edited by yellowdatsun

Hey Jeff! The TRS membership really appreciated you coming and speaking with the club this month. Definitely looking forward to working with you! ?

BTW, is there anyways to get the previous newsletters?

Thanks! Hanging with TRS was my pleasure and I look forward to doing it again.

January 2013

February 2013

March 2013

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and great input. I've added it to our community wish list and agree with what you have shared! I took this job to help the community and I can only be successful at it when guys like you share what we need. Thanks!

Nice to see you on this forum. There's quite a few of us who check in here, so it's a great place to post updates.

I too have a 2nd gen KLR650. I also ride a Honda CRF450X.

The upgrades they've been making around Table Mesa are nice. Hayfield Draw is, in my mind, one of the better OHV areas in the state. There's a good mix of riding, some jumps, berms, sand washes, and trails, all going out of one spot. It would be nice if there were more areas like Hayfield Draw closer to Phoenix. One of the best MX parks recently closed (Speedworld), and a lot of the beginner and intermediate riders are looking for places to ride now. So something with some jumps and practice areas for the MX guys would be great. There's a decent amount of "trails" already, and not quite enough places to "play".

What would be ideal, would be to make the areas south of Carefree highway, and west of I-17, an OHV area. It's currently State Trust land, but already has some really good areas/trails to ride.

Me and my friends have both the RV plates and OHV tags, plus State Trust permits.

Thanks! Hanging with TRS was my pleasure and I look forward to doing it again.

January 2013

February 2013

March 2013

Hi Jeff, another one of the TRS members here that listened to you speak at our club meeting. I really enjoyed listening to you speak and your enthusiasm for the OHV program. Just moving to AZ from CO it was a real shocker to see the State so willing to work with the OHV community. In Colorado there were many great organizations supporting OHV but it always felt as if we were going against the grain of the state. So coming here and listening to all of the great projects going on and your vision was refreshing to say the least.

I look forward to working with you and doing my part to support OHV use in AZ.

• 3 weeks later...

I published the May OHV newslettter yesterday. Signup for it here:

https://www.firedrummarketing.com/public_member_add.jsp?s=4g2jrffkdc

When you do, you'll get the latest edition, which features some pics and trip report link for last month's Dual Sport Trail Talk. Remember, this newsletter is the most powerful tool I have to reach out to you guys in mass. That is handy when I'm busy and forget to post up on every forum out there.

Thanks,

Jeff Prince

OHV Program Coordinator

Arizona State Parks

(602) 542-6940

jprince@azstateparks.gov

AZStateParks.com/ohv

• 4 weeks later...

For those who weren't able to make it...

National Trail Day at Kelly Canyon = Success

270 people cranked out 2+ miles of new single track! Yes, new trails can be built after a TMP and MVUM is published!

Be sure to check in with Coconino Trail Riders for their upcoming schedule of trail days throughout the season.

photo_zpsba3aef87.jpg

photo2_zps412ed43f.jpg

photo1_zps7563b9a8.jpg

• Like 1

Since nobody has commented yet, I just wanted to say thanks for the update on the trails. A lot of guys probably read them, but just don't write, so don't think your posts are going to waste.

I'm glad you posted this up, because I've been itching to get the bike out, yet it's been too hot here in Phoenix. I may take a run up there this weekend or next to check out the new trails. I've got an RV plate and OHV tag for my bikes.

On another note, have you heard anything about even the remote possibility of the state doing a recreation area with maybe some jumps and such? Hayfield Draw near Cottonwood is really the only one I know of. OR.......is there another place with natural jump-ing terrain to play at? I know there are places in California like that. Find a piece of land, hire someone like me, give them a small bulldozer, and let them go to town with it to build a spot. Wouldn't take much, just one guy and a piece of equipment.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jeff it's great that you post here thanks

I just registered a new to Me bike title transfer and 5 year registration was great the OHV tag for 1 year is silly IMHO

so is having 2 registrations to " carry at all times "

anyway you could push for a matching OHV duration ? it would be money in the coffers since the plates don't transfer to new owners if someone sells before the expiration the new owner is always starting fresh anyway with a new plate and registrations

thanks

Z

• Like 1

On another note, have you heard anything about even the remote possibility of the state doing a recreation area with maybe some jumps and such? Hayfield Draw near Cottonwood is really the only one I know of. OR.......is there another place with natural jump-ing terrain to play at? I know there are places in California like that. Find a piece of land, hire someone like me, give them a small bulldozer, and let them go to town with it to build a spot. Wouldn't take much, just one guy and a piece of equipment.

Thanks for your message. You might want to share these ideas at my upcoming single track summit. Shoot me an email jprince@azstateparks.gov to get an invite, be sure to mention any clubs you are affiliated with. In terms of rec area with jumps and other features, I'm all for that. There is a process for building trails and features on Federal lands that has to be followed. State Parks is also willing to develop a motorsports base park in the future if there is public demand. Finally, one of my programs I proposed that was approved and funded recently is the aquistion of tools and equipment to allow volunteer groups to perform trail maintenance and construction. Lots of great things on the horizon!

Hey Jeff it's great that you post here thanks

I just registered a new to Me bike title transfer and 5 year registration was great the OHV tag for 1 year is silly IMHO

so is having 2 registrations to " carry at all times "

anyway you could push for a matching OHV duration ? it would be money in the coffers since the plates don't transfer to new owners if someone sells before the expiration the new owner is always starting fresh anyway with a new plate and registrations

thanks

Z

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, Parks has no input on how ADOT runs their vehicle registration process and deals with the OHV decal. If enough people contact ADOT and myself via official channels, I'll have some support for engaging in that discussion. I totally support that.

Thanks,

Jeff Prince

OHV Program Coordinator

Arizona State Parks

jprince@azstateparks.gov

I will soon be a state member living in the Prescott area. Look forward to meeting, volunteering and riding with any and all within the general area. Will be there at least two times a month for the next 4 years and then a full time stater. Looks like this OHV program has got sense. Thanks for all you and everyone else does!

Regards

Thanks for the input Jeff

This OHV thing and the State Land Trust permit along with the fact you aren't supposed to ride on days with a pollution advisory

reminds Me a lot of the Tonto pass and upgrade for a boat some sites still require a daily pass but event the Rangers don't know whats required where LOL

so many Authorities to deal with you have a hard time satisfying all the rules even when you try your hardest

I am signing up for your news letter so maybe I can get up to speed

thx Z