cr250 sucked in dirt

so after riding 80 miles of pure dust i pulled my airfilter (still clean on the inside) but some how my airboot and carb had some dirt it it. i pulled it all apart and cleaned it out. (already had sealed the airboot to the airbox with silicone) but now im planning to buy the mx bonz kit for 60 bucks to completly seal it off. but my concern is do you guys think the engine is ok? i have like 25 hours on my fully rebuilt motor. i had 240psi before i sucked in dirt and i did another compression test and still have 240psi, didnt loose any compression... so what do you guys think? it ok?

so after riding 80 miles of pure dust i pulled my airfilter (still clean on the inside) but some how my airboot and carb had some dirt it it. i pulled it all apart and cleaned it out. (already had sealed the airboot to the airbox with silicone) but now im planning to buy the mx bonz kit for 60 bucks to completly seal it off. but my concern is do you guys think the engine is ok? i have like 25 hours on my fully rebuilt motor. i had 240psi before i sucked in dirt and i did another compression test and still have 240psi, didnt loose any compression... so what do you guys think? it ok?

Your ok, but you need to learn how to clean an air filter the right way or buy disposable pre-oiled filters.

Are you sure it wasn't previous dirt in the boot or some dirt fell in while you took the old one out?

Your ok, but you need to learn how to clean an air filter the right way or buy disposable pre-oiled filters.

Are you sure it wasn't previous dirt in the boot or some dirt fell in while you took the old one out?

Who says he doesn't know how to correctly clean an air filter?

i cleaned the airfilter before that ride. and i took it off to clean it again right after that ride, thats how i saw the dirt. im using a twin airfilter and i clean it after every ride. the dirt didnt get in through the airfilter, some how my airboot started leaking somwhere

Silicone is soluble in gasoline. Reseal the air boot with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive (BLACK). I'm pretty sure I told you to use 3M the first time.

Grease the air filter on 02-07 CR's. I highly recommend removing the airbox when servicing Honda air filters because it's difficult to install them properly. Removing the airbox also allows you to do a better job of cleaning the airbox. I recommend using wd40 on the greasy areas, then shout and water to remove the oily mess. Once you get the hang of removing/installing the airbox/subframe, it only adds about 15 minutes to the job. You'll spend a lot more time cleaning the box and the filter than you will removing/installing the airbox.

Edited by CamP

check for ring blowby in the exhaust port. that would indicate your ring seal was comprised by dust ingestion if you didn't already have blowby.

check for ring blowby in the exhaust port. that would indicate your ring seal was comprised by dust ingestion if you didn't already have blowby.

well i did a compression test and i didnt loose any compression.

Silicone is soluble in gasoline. Reseal the air boot with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive (BLACK). I'm pretty sure I told you to use 3M the first time.

Grease the air filter on 02-07 CR's. I highly recommend removing the airbox when servicing Honda air filters because it's difficult to install them properly. Removing the airbox also allows you to do a better job of cleaning the airbox. I recommend using wd40 on the greasy areas, then shout and water to remove the oily mess. Once you get the hang of removing/installing the airbox/subframe, it only adds about 15 minutes to the job. You'll spend a lot more time cleaning the box and the filter than you will removing/installing the airbox.

i completley agree about pulling the airbox. ive usually done it every other airfilter cleaning but ima start doing it every time. dont think ive ever asked about sealing the airbox before though. but i know what you mean for sure.

what kind of filter are you using? k&n are notorious for it

Who says he doesn't know how to correctly clean an air filter?

If I rush through cleaning an air filter, I end up with sand particles in the boot.

I have a long drawn out process I use to get every particle of sand out of the foam.

I had no idea the Honda airbox needs to be sealed as my Yamahas or Kawis had never been a problem.

Edited by souliog

What year is your bike?

Light grease in the passage leading to the carb, downstream of the air filter. It acts like fly paper and may help to catch big particles, but better yet clue you in to possible breaches! ie If its not clean, you got a problem. If this area is left grease free, it may look clean but still be seeing crap sneaking by. I've seen boat loads of crap get into cylinders (spark plug removal is really common time) My thinking is we have alll had bikes that had crap in them introduced by PO's and never known about it. Its like eating wee bugs in lettuce. If you don't know about it the lettuce is just fine.....most of the time LOL!

What year is your bike?

mine is an 07

so you guys think i should pull the top end, clean it up, and rinse the bottom end out a couple times with diesel before i ride it again?

Any Ideas

I didnt read everything but if you took the carb off and there is dirt in the intake boot (part that comes out of engine) then i would take top end off and at least see whats going on. If no dirt then seal everything back up and go ride.

mine is an 07

Honda should have been sued over the airbox/filter cage of the '02-'07. Pure crap! The '02 450 had the same crap but they fixed it in '03. Could have done the same for the 2-strokes.

Edited by HrcRacing27

ok. so you guys also think i should pull the top end and rise out the bottom end with diesel?

Edited by BRAAAAAP424

No, thats a shit load of work if no dirt is in there.