Should I buy a 09' for $3600 or a 11' for $4300 ?

Well I comitted the sin of riding a buddies 09 KX 450 last month and I realized what a hard starting POS my 06' CRF 450 was.

Now I sold the CRF and am looking at either a

09' KXF 450 that is in great shape has full aftermarket exhaust, (pro circuit) Which would be great because I will need a sparky when I go to the mountains. fresh piston and rings etc..

The other is a very nice 2011 that is a one owner never raced

The guy brought it home and properly greased all the bearings before he rode it. It has a TM Design works slider and chain block and a o-Ring chain.

Is the 2011 worth $700 more ???

How much will a full aftermarket exhaust run me that has a sparky to attach when needed?

How often should the piston and rings be changed?

The guy with the 09' said he put a new piston and rings and T chain in every year which seems excessive.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Zach

I vote the 11 based off what you said. I'd always rather get a stock motor and properly maintained bike. I had an 05 crf 450 I purchased brand new before buying my 2011 kx450 a year ago. Love the kx! Starts way easier than the carbed crf I had. Haggle on the 2011 people do things with money in hand!

Well I comitted the sin of riding a buddies 09 KX 450 last month and I realized what a hard starting POS my 06' CRF 450 was.

09' KXF 450 that is in great shape has full aftermarket exhaust, (pro circuit) Which would be great because I will need a sparky when I go to the mountains. fresh piston and rings etc..

The guy brought it home and properly greased all the bearings before he rode it. It has a TM Design works slider and chain block and a o-Ring chain.

How much will a full aftermarket exhaust run me that has a sparky to attach when needed?

The guy with the 09' said he put a new piston and rings and T chain in every year which seems excessive.

Zach

I ran my 2009 KX450F for 2 years pretty hard with a mixture of full throttle sand riding and track days. After what I'm guessing is well over 100 hours of use, it started fine and the cam shims were still in spec. I did have to replace the clutch, but it started and ran fine.

If all you need is a SA, buy a Yosh slip on and enjoy!

id go with the 11 for the extra and cash in hand will help bring it down even if just a little. buy a slip on and ride it!

Resale for you on the 11 will be much better.

And if it has less hours than the 9, which it will im sure, the clutch, trans, and crank are more likely to last longer. 2 years is a long time.

I'd go with the newer one as long as its better maintained, but honestly for the 4-4500 range you aught to be able to pick up a 12 either now or very shortly with the 14's coming out. I've seen 09's in good shape sit for months at 3000$. I know its a honda but a bud sold his 12 honda with 15 hours on it in the spring for 4900....If you can spring the extra cash get the 12 with the updated frame.

I am going to pick up the 11' All the 12's within 500 miles of me are still $5500+

maybe in 3 months I can resell this thing for a little more an craigslist or break even.

When I start seeing 2012s for $4500.

That's the good thing about craigslist its free to advertise.

Edited by adrynalinjunkie

Zach

I used to watch my buddys kick their Hondas a good 10 times before I'd leisurely kick my Kawi to life, then I'd sing the Honda song. "I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride, as soon as I can start this piece o'crap". They were never as amused as I was!

Haha thats funny i just bought a 09 after ridding the same bike you tried out at junifer with me blahaha. Btw its dan

Yeah you can probably haggle them down for sure, I did the same thing by riding a buddys 12yz450 and just bought a 11 kx450 for 3800.00 funnest bike I've had yet!

You guys down in the US are lucky up in Canada people are asking $1000 more and getting it?

You guys down in the US are lucky up in Canada people are asking $1000 more and getting it?

I picked up a 13 BRand spankin new from the dealer about 3 weeks ago, for 6119$ OTD.

I used to watch my buddys kick their Hondas a good 10 times before I'd leisurely kick my Kawi to life, then I'd sing the Honda song. "I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride, as soon as I can start this piece o'crap". They were never as amused as I was!

stole this and put it on our central texas mx page HAHAHAHAA