New ASV levers, I have a "clutch cable play" question. P.S. possible good news for '00-'03 S owners

Just installed some ASV F3 levers, clutch side came with a whole new clutch perch. I had to fiddle with the slack in the clutch line to fit it, anyway, it's on, everything works, but I am worried that the clutch isn't pulling in all the way and I am grinding the gears. I don't think I am explaining my self very well here...how do I tell that the clutch is being pulled in far enough?

P.S. I have a 2001 S model, ASV does not offer levers for the S model years 2000-2003. I contacted ASV, sent them pics of my stock levers, and was set up with the brake lever for the 2004 DRZ S and the clutch/perch for the 2004 quadsport LT-Z400. These are the "shorty" 2 finger levers. They look great, feel great, and seem to fit just fine. Brake lever mounted in about 5 minutes and engages the brake light switch with no problems. You must disengage th clutch safety switch to use the ASV perch. So if there is anybody out there like myself, who likes ASV levers and was bummed they don't offer them for the '00-'03 S models, so far so good with these :thumbsup:

Here's the product numbers in case anybody is interested in ordering:

Brake lever: BHF316-SR

clutch w/pro perch:CMF33Q-SR

image.jpg

image.jpg

ASV uses the CR style perch which doesn't offer enough leverage on the cable. I had it on my 450 and hated it so I just ended up using sunline levers with the stock perch which is awesome.

ASV uses the CR style perch which doesn't offer enough leverage on the cable. I had it on my 450 and hated it so I just ended up using sunline levers with the stock perch which is awesome.

They included some cable barrel extenders, I haven't used them tho because I can't get enough slack in the line to fit one

Ok, added the barrel extender, gave me much more room for adjustments...but still not positive where I should set the clutch to engage fully?

Adjust the cable at the jam nut to where there is enough slack go pull the lever back about 1/16" with no resistance and then fine tune it at the perch. If you have no slack at all when the lever is out, odds are the clutch isn't disengaging all the way when it is pulled.