Dual sport tire question

Im seeing that the recomended tire pressure is 30 on the street and 15 off road. What do you guys do when jumping on and offroad? Thanks, Guy

12-15 pounds.

Me to. I don't ever go over 15 psi. I'm not on the road (well, pavement anyway) much so I buy tires for the dirt and just let them do what they will on the street.

Got it. Thanks

I think it depends on the terrain. I'm at 10-12, I'm only on the road if I made a mistake or need food or gas.

I'm tired of eating up a back tire in 2 trips. Thinking about trying a more dualsporty tire, designed for some pavement, smaller knobs, hopefully longer lasting, some sacrifice in pure knobby grip. Suggestions?

My Dunlop D606 has been awesome so far. I'm at about 50% tread and have about 700 miles on it. It works great everywhere also.

I also have the Dunlop D606, I've never tried anything else so I don't know what I'm missing as far as better off road choices. I just wanted to stay street legal....I might try something else next.

Went off road Sunday and the trakmasters worked great. Of course they suck on the street but I dont care. Now I will see how they hold up long term. Guy

What size D606 are you running, on what bike?

My Dunlop D606 has been awesome so far. I'm at about 50% tread and have about 700 miles on it. It works great everywhere also.

I'm running a 130/100-18 I think it is on my 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F.

No issue with that hitting the muffler, or does it turn out to be about the size of a 120/100? Some tires seems to vary in net size, and some 120's skim my muffler.

No issues with it at all.

I'm running a 130/100-18 I think it is on my 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F.

Same on my 08 450 excr

Went off road Sunday and the trakmasters worked great. Of course they suck on the street but I dont care. Now I will see how they hold up long term. Guy

The Trackmaster front will suck no matter where you ride it. The rear is an awesome tire, and is very surprising on the road too. I get about 500 miles out of a rear.

Kenda trackmaster, hated them!

So far the absolute best combo I have found is a Pirelli Scorpion Pro front and a Trackmaster II rear. I've tried several tires. People who want to sacrifice performance just to get more longevity need not apply. They should settle for something Ike the Dunlop 606.

Next up....gonna try a MT-43 Trials rear this summer.

Edited by wvdualsport

i have found the pirelli XCMH front to be an incredible tire. handles in the dirt like a real dirt tire. handles on the street almost as well as a 606. lasts twice as long as the 606.

i found the 606 front to be a pretty terrible dirt tire. good handling street tire, though. cups pretty fast and you can't turn it around because it is a unidirectional tire.

in the back, i find the trakmaster II to be, by far, the best DOT tire in the dirt. handles OK on pavement. but wears really fast. i run a TMII on my KTM because it sees very limited road duty, but i go through the too quickly on my DRZ, so i run XCMH rears on it.

(the TMII front is an atrocious tire. whoever thought it would be a good idea to copy the rear tire tread pattern and put it on the front tire should probably be fired.)

the XCMH rear and the D606 rear handle about the same on pavement (which is just fine), handle about the same in dry, hard dirt (which is OK). in mud and loose stuff, though, the XCMH handles still "OK" while the 606 performance drops off into "pretty much sucks" territory.

if you are looking for a rear that can handle well in most types of dirt (excluding mud) and will hold up to pavment miles, consider a DOT trials tire. you just air them way down in the dirt and air them up for the road. as long as you aren't in mud and have proper PSI in them (under 8), they tend to work really well on trails--even when they are 50% worn. and they hold up OK to pavement miles (in part because, unlike knobbies, they still work well when they are 50% worn).

as for pressures...i run around 9 psi in the back (the difference between 9 and 11 psi in the back is incredible--i would have never thought it could make such a difference, but it does--try dropping below 10psi in the back in the dirt once if you never have) and about 12 in the front in dirt. around 20 both front and back on pavement. i don't bother airing up for stretches of pavement between trails.

just my experiences. ymmv.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

Pirelli DOT MT43 is the only back tire Ive got over 1000 miles of hard throttle usage dirt riding on,the trials tire works most anywhere,rides smooth in rocks and is quiet and smooth riding on the road. Lower pressure makes it work better in dirt for sure,10 to 13 lbs. I run a full dirt Dunlop trials tire tubliss on my 200KTM at 5 psi.

Climbs anything with no spin.

MT-43 vote here too. Only tire I'll run on the rear anymore. Better grip than an MX knobby and 1700 miles on mine (with lots of road) and its just getting to the point that I need to replace it.