Cracked case

I have been rebuilding my wifes machine which is a 98 ktm 125 exc. I typically drain the oil from the left side drain hole, im not sure why but last time i used the right one which i have never taken out before. Apparantly that bolt had been stripped out at somepoint and somone added a helicoil in. When i went to put the bolt back in it bound with almost no force and a piece of the coil snapped off and fell out. Added oil and noticed the leak and crack when it started dripping out. I have attatched 2 pictures of the crack. It goes all the way through one side of the bolt area out to the edge of the case. This is the drain plug below the clutch cover.

So what would be the best way to get this crack cleaned out and whats the best fix?

Can these cases be welded? I was thinking about cleaning it out and mabey JB welding the hole plug area and crack off since i always drain from opposite side. Would somthing like the metal reinforced gasket type sealer stuff work? or ever just a good gasket sealer? This thing wont be raced just used a few times a year and i dont want to spend a ton to get this fixed.

I also dont want this to start leaking out in the middle of the woods. Thanks in advance.

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

Get it welded by a good shop/welder. JB weld would only hold so long, especially on an area like that.

so there is a drain plug on both sides of the case? I would just have the damaged one welded shut, that should take care of the crack. should be 30 to 50 bucks I would think, worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

so there is a drain plug on both sides of the case? I would just have the damaged one welded shut, that should take care of the crack. should be 30 to 50 bucks I would think, worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

No. there is another drain bolt on the opposite side of the engine. Right behind the ignition cover near the shifter. Thats the one i have always used and has the little magnet end to catch stuff on.

Does anyone know what this case is made of? I just picked it up from the welder that my motorcycle shop recommended and they said it was a "unweldable compound". So now i have on my hands a bigger mess then when it went in. The guy said they tried welding it as aluminium. Here is end result.

IMG_20130422_204508_628.jpgIMG_20130422_204542_285.jpg

Wow! That's ugly!

Time for some JB weld. That stuff is really good. I also did an oil leak on the case edge and it's working just fine. I didn't even have the cases apart, just cleaned it up & JB'ed the hell out of it. It's still holding! :banghead: It wasn't as tough as a spot as that............. but it'll work............. for awhile!

You can also put a new Heli-Coil in it without drilling new threads. Those things are very forgiving.

Then you can troll e-bay for an older case. Every so often they come up. I had a 2001 and had to wait 2 months for a part I needed, but it eventually came up.

Good Luck!

Edited by superslyko

Yea. talked to another welding shop that does alot of custom built projects. was originally going to bring it to him but he was a ways out of my way compared to this place. He said he could have tig'd it but now that the other place has screwed it all up he wants nothing to do with it. Called the bike shop back to tell them about this and they told me that magnesium is unrepairable..... remind me not to bring anything there for service.

Yea. talked to another welding shop that does alot of custom built projects. was originally going to bring it to him but he was a ways out of my way compared to this place. He said he could have tig'd it but now that the other place has screwed it all up he wants nothing to do with it. Called the bike shop back to tell them about this and they told me that magnesium is unrepairable..... remind me not to bring anything there for service.

I doubt your case is magnesium. Once magnesium starts to burn it is almost impossible to put it out! Create it's own oxygen and can even burn underwater. You might still be able to braze it if your "welder" didn't do to much damage!

http://www.aluminumr...num-brazing.htm

It is mag. I just noticed a stamp on it up by the kickstarter. And to rub salt in the wound i just ran a tap through the drain hole to clean it up a little and the area they welded completly fell out. SO instead of a little hairline crack i now have a nice gaping hole. Here is new end result.

Also just noticed on ebay there is one for sale with a almost identical crack in the same spot. wonder if it was a casting problem because i notice on the 250 i have they dont have a bolt in that area.

IMG_20130423_152728_138.jpg

It is mag. I just noticed a stamp on it up by the kickstarter. And to rub salt in the wound i just ran a tap through the drain hole to clean it up a little and the area they welded completly fell out. SO instead of a little hairline crack i now have a nice gaping hole. Here is new end result.

Also just noticed on ebay there is one for sale with a almost identical crack in the same spot. wonder if it was a casting problem because i notice on the 250 i have they dont have a bolt in that area.

IMG_20130423_152728_138.jpg

Not all but most aluminum brazing rods will work on Magnesium Alloy. It will be strong enough to drill and re-tap or just plug the hole. Looks like you're getting to the point of no return though?

http://www.weld-aluminum.com/

Edited by rmzpegger

That sucks big time, I guess I took for granted how good the welder that I have used actually is.

Hey guys I have a ktm 125 sx 2009 and it was in my garage and I was looking under it to see if it was leaking then I found a little crack on the end of the clutch cover bolt near the water pump it's not leaking or anything and it's on the outside but it's not leaking what should I do it's right near the end of the bolt insert type thing it just skims the end of where u put the bolt in like I said it's not leaking so should I just leave it IMG_0603.PNG

Magnesium can be welded,i have never done it myself but imagine it being even harder than aluminium.

People bashing the welder dont know what their talking about.Some alloys weld better than others,some aluminium castings are very poor,its porous and these pours actually fill up with oild and dirt,and in the oxidation  and you can end up with an almost unweldable part.You never really know before you light up the tig torch.

When we have to deal with these kinds of parts at work,with alloy engine covers of a 30year old diesel engine with 170000h on the clock.We usually wash the parts in strong solvents and ultrasonic cleaner,then oven heat the whole part to burn any oil.After removing the oxidation around we tig weld with alot of cleaning action,maybe 50/50 ac balance.

On another note you really need to control warping,this could be done with welding the part bolted to the engine,a preheat of the whole engine will also reduce warpage and make it easier to weld.I had a 125 kx that cracked at the centrifugal acuator of the power valve,the case was welded apart from the engine.an inch long weld caused the cover to warp several mm,the cover would still fit but it had binding bearing noise due to the bearings not sittirng straight on the axles.

• Like 1

Dude, digging up 2 old threads?  Just replace the damn thing.  You will find a whole inner clutch cover for around 150 new, or you can pick them up for less (like I mentioned, I have a used one.)  

I don't care if you buy a new one, used one, mine, or someone else's.

Actually, don't fix it, it's fine, I mean it's broken, but your bike is the bike of your dreams and in great shape.  Not clapped out.

Guys who ask the same damn question until they get the answer they want, generally don't want the correct answer, they want the answer they want.  So there you go, don't fix it, it's fine.  

On February 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM, As1233 said:

Hey guys I have a ktm 125 sx 2009 and it was in my garage and I was looking under it to see if it was leaking then I found a little crack on the end of the clutch cover bolt near the water pump it's not leaking or anything and it's on the outside but it's not leaking what should I do imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54it's right near the end of the bolt insert type thing it just skims the end of where u put the bolt in like I said it's not leaking so should I just leave it IMG_0603.PNG

• Like 1