Sign in to follow this  

Pick one...04' 250exc vs 03' 250 xs for trails

Okay so here are my options an 04' 250exc which has:

Bike runs great. Desert Tank, Skid plate, scotts triple clamps with stabilizer post, FMF Gnarley pipe w/turbine cores silencer, and Dial a Jet carburetor system. Rebuilt top end 3 years ago (probably time for another?). The Price is $2250

3E23Ld3M25Ka5Ff5Jcd3ca17a4932209e1059.jpg

]03' 250sx Well maintained, runs great, never raced and always stored inside...not much info will try to get more. The price is $2300

3G23M83F75G15K75F7d4eee8b73a8533712fa.jpg

I've riden the exc and kow it is more of a trail bike but please give me specifics.....like compression stroke bore size etc...

Please let me know what you think would be a better by for a trail bike. I know the exc is meant for trails but i've heard a lot of ppl on these forums saying to get the sx or switch the exc head with and sx head? I would love to hear what everyone has to say.....thanks and keep tearing up those hills and tracks!!

Edited by KTM Monster

If your going to riding offroad, get the exc. The is nothing wrong with the SX but the motor has a extremely light flywheel making it difficult to control the power in technical situations. There is virtually no bottom end, a hard hit and then a bit of over-rev. 1st gear is also extremely tall. The SXs of that era were built to compete against the onslaught of 450s that emerged.....

• Like 1

Thanks originalmonk and while I do agree with you I am wondering what it would take to get the sx to have the low and like the exc? The sx i'm looking at has never been rebuilt and looks like it is in much better condition where the exc looks like it has been riden hard and the top end has been rebuilt 3 yrs ago making it just about time for another. Don't get me wrong my first bike was a 200 exc that i eventually bored out and man was that the sweetest bike I have ever riden but in this case I don't have much to offer (like $2000) would hopefully take either bike and for me the sx I think will last longer where the exc may take a lot more work and parts to keep up....but that is why I am here asking the gods!! Thanks again for your input it truly means a lot!

Regardless of the EXC having a topend done, the SX could be due for one anyway. Both those bikes being the years they are would get a tear down and new topend regardless. Its a $200 preventative maintenance fix that could save you money in the long run.

Just because a bike looks like it has been ridden doesn't mean squat. That fact that the EXC has been ridden could show that all the proper maintenance has been done AND regular services. The oils have been changed, fork serviced, seals changed, bearings greased, etc etc.

Making the SX into a EXC....well it might not be cheap depending on where you source your parts. Combining that with atrocious suspension on the SX, it could be more money then your willing to spend. In short, no its not as simple as bolting a EXC head on. There is a black boxes to be changed and internal gear ratios.

You sound pretty convinced on the SX though as you are only seeing the pictures. In general, yes the SX is cleaner and should be the better buy but as the old saying goes....painting a turd gold still makes it a turd!

Hahahaha that made for a good laugh and after all the insight that ppl have given me I am going to try to get the EXC that guy just told me it needs new fork seals which he has but just hadn't put them on. Also, he said that last time they were out him son put the strap over the brake cable and broke it close to the lever. So he said he would take that off the cost if I wanted to do it myself. But I think I will stick with the exc due to the low end and well the set up for trails......especially after what you said monk!! painting a turf gold still makes it a turd!!! lolz I doubt i'll get over that one today!!

I also like the upgrades on the bike and think the extra fuel will be a blast especially on long rides. I truly appreciate you thoughts and posting on my thread it means a lot and wish more ppl could've said something but you have said enough and that is all I need to make a decision. Good ole' BC boys I didn't know you guys where into KTM boy was I wrong!

get the exc, before i beat you to it :). Enjoy! I dont know how close u r from danskins but once u get it... the trails are open for the taking hehehe.

Hey micko24.....that would be messed up if you took it out from under me :) I am very close to the danskins and hunt a lot up there and everytime I am up there hunting all I can hear is ppl all over tearing up the canyons with 4 strokes and 2 strokes it sounds so beautiful. Are the trails easy to find up there and are they good riding? Appreciate the post

I still don't have a whole lot of experience, going from an rm250 to a exc300...but from what i read the 250sx aren't as tame as a exc, and i have to agree with just going from the RM to the exc...the exc has a lot more controllable power. purrs at low speed when you want it to, but when you want to get on it, it will.

Thanks for the insight Luke and I was just wondering how it was going from a 250 to the 300 exc? I rode on 300 awhile back and man those things have some nuts....they also rattle the shit out of your nuts. Are you in love with your 300 or would you go back to a 250 especially if it was an exc? What do you mainly ride. I am also considering the 300 but I am not sure yet on it.

wow somebody really wants more info from me? :o well its hard to say, i still have my 250, it just needs a new top. my 300 needs the suspension dialed in more still. but i will be using my 300 mainly now, its in much better shape than my rm250, plus it runs :p i really don't think the physical size on my 300 is any bigger, all the tight places in my woods i could do them just as easy. the bigger FWW on the 300 is a major+ I can't believe how much i can lug on that thing. I will be needing a new clutch line soon. I fell a couple times, and my hand guard came up and pinched it, but its still working for now. I bought new barkbusters that are U shape clamp, so i have way more room now than i did. if you are doing a ton of tight wooded areas, and single tracks i would say go for the 300...now since i haven't rode a 250sx i can't tell you anything about that, from what i read it has a more beastly hit than my rm250.

but going from the 250 to the 300 was easy, easier than i thought, i took it slow at first, just to get use to it, but found out that its a lot easier to ride than i thought, plus i am still learning how to ride, only been riding for 3 years on and off. But i really loved the transition.

here is me and my 300 practicing on a log, just getting use to it. like i said, my suspension needs dialed in, i would have done better if it was, and i messed up more using the clutch than i did just straight hit.

btw, did i mention i am big? lol so the bike seems to fit me better than my rm250

Go with the EXC. 03 250sx is a MX bike pure and simple. My son has one and even with a 8 oz flywheel it's tough to ride in the woods and I ride a 300. He has done a lot of work to get it in shape for off road. He is a solid B class rider and its a handful for him at times.

wow somebody really wants more info from me? :o well its hard to say, i still have my 250, it just needs a new top. my 300 needs the suspension dialed in more still. but i will be using my 300 mainly now, its in much better shape than my rm250, plus it runs :p i really don't think the physical size on my 300 is any bigger, all the tight places in my woods i could do them just as easy. the bigger FWW on the 300 is a major+ I can't believe how much i can lug on that thing. I will be needing a new clutch line soon. I fell a couple times, and my hand guard came up and pinched it, but its still working for now. I bought new barkbusters that are U shape clamp, so i have way more room now than i did. if you are doing a ton of tight wooded areas, and single tracks i would say go for the 300...now since i haven't rode a 250sx i can't tell you anything about that, from what i read it has a more beastly hit than my rm250.

but going from the 250 to the 300 was easy, easier than i thought, i took it slow at first, just to get use to it, but found out that its a lot easier to ride than i thought, plus i am still learning how to ride, only been riding for 3 years on and off. But i really loved the transition.

here is me and my 300 practicing on a log, just getting use to it. like i said, my suspension needs dialed in, i would have done better if it was, and i messed up more using the clutch than i did just straight hit.

btw, did i mention i am big? lol so the bike seems to fit me better than my rm250

Dude, you need to rotate your bars down, its awkward and goofy that way and I guarantee it makes the bike handle like crap....

Also, slow your rebound down and up your compression 2 clicks. I would also recommend you adding a few more mm of sag too....

Edited by originalmonk

Dude, you need to rotate your bars down, its awkward and goofy that way and I guarantee it makes the bike handle like crap....

Also, slow your rebound down and up your compression 2 clicks. I would also recommend you adding a few more mm of sag too....

down which way? forwards or backwards? because i actually like it this way, makes it easier for standing since i am so tall, but i will give it a try. also This is old, i have adjusted my suspension a bit, and i will be putting a softer spring. I am going against the correct way of doing it, but its a free spring, and just a test, i can go back if its worse.

down which way? forwards or backwards? because i actually like it this way, makes it easier for standing since i am so tall, but i will give it a try. also This is old, i have adjusted my suspension a bit, and i will be putting a softer spring. I am going against the correct way of doing it, but its a free spring, and just a test, i can go back if its worse.

Rotate them backwards towards yourself. I know it feels comfortable when you stand but its forcing you arms and especially your shoulders into a awkward position. As for going to lighter springs, why? The bike will ride low in the stroke and feel stiff. Not stiff in a good way, but stiff in a harsh way as it will ride on the firmer part of the valving...

I watch you come into the log and you bounce all over the place and 8/10 times when you hit the log, your off your line, or the front wheel is cocked, or the rear isn't lined up....your rebound is way to fast!

Edited by originalmonk

Rotate them backwards towards yourself. I know it feels comfortable when you stand but its forcing you arms and especially your shoulders into a awkward position. As for going to lighter springs, why? The bike will ride low in the stroke and feel stiff. Not stiff in a good way, but stiff in a harsh way as it will ride on the firmer part of the valving...

I watch you come into the log and you bounce all over the place and 8/10 times when you hit the log, your off your line, or the front wheel is cocked, or the rear isn't lined up....your rebound is way to fast!

Ye i am gonna adjust that and test while i am waiting on the spring. I am not doing this out of my idea, but from my AA uncle who i trust, and has been racing for 40years. If its worse i am not out of any money, just time, and i don't see the problem, because i will have experience for the next noob. but this is not about me, and my suspension, so no sense and going more into depth, when i have already done that with other people. so i guess just let me learn the hard way.

Rotate them backwards towards yourself. I know it feels comfortable when you stand but its forcing you arms and especially your shoulders into a awkward position..

I was wanting to know, for a better understanding, how is it awkward i mean, what is it i am losing, what will a gain when i do move them? i just like understanding what i gain when i do something or what i loose when i do something, then i will go out an experience it. then i will know what to expect.

Thanks guys for all the input and sorry I was out of town this weekend and wasn't able to get on and reply.....but luke I thought your video was bad ass and after seeing that the 300 looks mean and seems to handle well. I am also glad that originalmonk posted about the handle bars the way they are because I am the same way I like the bars raised like that.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but now it is just a matter of finding a 300 and riding both the 250 and the 300.....the 300's are a little more spendy but I think I might want the power to lug up and around but I guess I will just have to get on them both and see for myseld.

I was wanting to know, for a better understanding, how is it awkward i mean, what is it i am losing, what will a gain when i do move them? i just like understanding what i gain when i do something or what i loose when i do something, then i will go out an experience it. then i will know what to expect.

Hold your arms out, what direction do your thumbs point, up right? When have the bars that far rotated forward the bars are slanting inward causing a unnatural rotation on your wrists which in term makes for a awkward angle for you elbows and shoulders to move at. Look at all gym machinery, do any of them have you thumbs pointed down and inward? IMO, your bars need to moved forward not up. If you can, rotate your triple clamps into the forward postion or buy a higher bend such as a Windham bend. On top of this, though it feels great when you stand, you arent always standing...I would bet because you are a slower rider you sit down more when you get tired. Having the bars rotated that far forward when you sit I guaranteed is the cause for some handling woahs....

Hold your arms out, what direction do your thumbs point, up right? When have the bars that far rotated forward the bars are slanting inward causing a unnatural rotation on your wrists which in term makes for a awkward angle for you elbows and shoulders to move at. Look at all gym machinery, do any of them have you thumbs pointed down and inward? IMO, your bars need to moved forward not up. If you can, rotate your triple clamps into the forward postion or buy a higher bend such as a Windham bend. On top of this, though it feels great when you stand, you arent always standing...I would bet because you are a slower rider you sit down more when you get tired. Having the bars rotated that far forward when you sit I guaranteed is the cause for some handling woahs....

Actually because of the bars, i stand 90% of the time now, plus that way i have way more control, and i actually don't get tired that way. but i have a lot of stuff i am adjusting, just doing them one at a time. i moved them back to the point where it still feels normal standing, and better for sitting, but haven't rode yet. but thanks i guess...i mean i don't know which way you mean by "hold out your arms" I think you mean straight in front like holding my bars, and my thumbs point up, but with my bars like that they point down. and i noticed that at first, but thought it was just because of the high bend bars that i never had before. also i don't use gym machinery. Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff