Sign in to follow this  

OEM or Pivot Works?

I’m going to install new swing arm, linkage and shock bearings for my 2006 YZ250. I noticed Rocky Mountain now sells OEM kits. For all 3 kits its about $10 more for the OEM. Which one do you all think is better? I have used Pivot Works before and did not have a problem.

What are the actual prices?

I just used pivot works in my steering head and they seemed to be excellent quality. However, they are made in China. The OEM are made in Japan. I suspect the OEM is better. But for the steering they were about twice the price.

the answer is really this japan bearings = better quality vs china bearings

Yep

Pivot Works has a lifetime replacement policy which you won't find from the OE.

See above

Theoretically the OEM should last longer anyway so it's about 6's If you figure this is a wearable item that should be replaced from time to time....

Edited by jentzschman

Suspension bearings do not need to be high tolerance or high quality. They almost always fail from water/dirt contamination, which will happen just as quickly to a high quality japanese bearing as it will to the cheapest of bearings. This is not a high load, high speed, or high temperature application, you will never notice a difference between OEM and a cheaper bearing. Cheap bearings should last you forever if you maintain them properly.

Also, check out All Balls or the new one to the market, bearingconnections.com for their prices, might be a little cheaper than pivot works.

• Like 2

What are the actual prices?

I just used pivot works in my steering head and they seemed to be excellent quality. However, they are made in China. The OEM are made in Japan. I suspect the OEM is better. But for the steering they were about twice the price.

Are you sure oem is made in japan? I'm willing to bet many parts are sourced overseas. Koyo has 6 manufacfuring plants in china. Good parts come from good companies, not particular countries.

Thx for the input everyone. I think I’m going to try the OEM. The reason is I think the OEM ones might seal better because I bought the bike when it was a year old. Rode it for a few years and never checked the bearings. When I tour the bike down the bearings were a little dirty but none were rusted or sized up, but of course they had some ware. So I installed a set of Pivot Works. I would take them apart and clean/regress them maybe 2 times a year but if I did not do it for a while there would be rust in them. That’s why I think the OEM's might seal better. Ill give the OEM's a try and see how long they last.

Are you sure oem is made in japan? I'm willing to bet many parts are sourced overseas. Koyo has 6 manufacfuring plants in china. Good parts come from good companies, not particular countries.

You're right. I just checked and Koyo makes bearing in many different countries including China, and even the USA. But this is not the same as outsourcing or purchasing from a Chinese company. They are actual Koyo production plants operating in those countries. As long as the plants are run according to Japanese quality standards I think it will not matter where they are made.

http://www.koyousa.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=586

That would be depend on the management. I have seen a lot of companies taking over factories and believing the staff that they took over from the former owner.

As they did not control sufficiently the quality of material it is easy to cheat on the controller just buying some cheaper material and use those in their products. Even if the production quality is maintained and material standards are lowered quality will be hardly the same.

Cookiemonster, if you've not ordered yet, pm me. I found a Pivot Works set, brand new, in my garage. Its this exact kit: http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900240996/?utm_source=NXT&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=900240996&utm_campaign=NXT

You would get a better price at TT's store, though, if you order from a dealer. I dont need this kit. PM if interested...

• Like 1

Cookiemonster, if you've not ordered yet, pm me. I found a Pivot Works set, brand new, in my garage. Its this exact kit: http://www.oemcycle....tm_campaign=NXT

You would get a better price at TT's store, though, if you order from a dealer. I dont need this kit. PM if interested...

Thx RCannon but i ordered already. BTW, it wont let me PM you. I was wounding if you still have that 2006 head? These are Rocky Mountain ATV prices. I went with the OEM $8.00 more then Pivot Works

Pivot Works Shock Bearing Kit $35.99 Yamaha Rear Shock Bearing And Seal Kit $44.99

Pivot Works Swing Arm Bearing Kit $62.99 Yamaha Swing Arm Pivot Bearing Kit $64.99

Pivot Works Linkage Rebuild Kit $77.99 Yamaha Suspension Linkage Bearing And Seal Kit $74.99

Edited by cookiemonsterMoA

I fixed my pm's (I think!) Yes, I do have a stock 06 head in the collection.