Sign in to follow this  

3x3, Yoshi RS3, JD Jet = low end bog?

G'day ladies and gents,

I'm a new guy here and have been following the DRZ-400 forums for a couple months now. All I can say is WOW, what a great community here, everyone here is very nice and welcoming and I hope I can return the favor! :ride: . After soaking up enough knowledge so I can give back to the TT community, I did:

Bike - 2003 KLX400SR

Applied mods:

3x3 - Slightly bigger than a typical 3x3, previous owner cut it out

Yoshi RS3 Slip on and mid pipe

Jd Jet, (160main, 25pilot, #3 e clip, blue needle, stock fuel screw backed out all the way)

The bike RIPPPEDDD! All except the low end .. hmm. Originally I had the fuel screw at 2.5, but it was sooo boggy on the low end when starting out in 1st gear or shifting into a new gear. As a result, I had to keep backing out the fuel screw until the low end got "cleaner". After adjusting the fuel screw, I had to tape off part of the 3x3 to clean up the low end bog even more. At this point the bike is still safely rideable, but is not riding like how it was stock -- clean, crisp power all the way through the throttle with out bogging.

Any solutions to rectify the low end bogging?

Any other information needed, please let me know!

Thanks in advance, TT!

Geographical Specs:

Southern CA

Sea level - 100ft

Edited by mxLr8

Its been a little while since I've messed with the stock carb (switched to FCR) but when I did have the stock carb I used the JD kit. Your settings sound about right for a full exhaust system but you just have a slip on. Does the directions have different setup recommendations for full exhaust system and stock/slip on?

You could always email or call JDjetting. They have good customer service.

Thank you for your input, GaDRZ400sMan!

...Your settings sound about right for a full exhaust system but you just have a slip on. Does the directions have different setup recommendations for full exhaust system and stock/slip on?

In reference to the installation directions, it states that when using a more free flowing exhaust or other modifications use the 160 main jet.

You could always email or call JDjetting. They have good customer service.

Thanks brother I'll give that a shot!

Edited by mxLr8

What does it recommend if you don't have a free flowing exhaust?

Main jet shouldn't cause the low end problems you are having though. There are way more people qualified to help you with jetting. JDjetting being one.

Someone more knowledgeable in jetting should come along soon and help you.

If you don't have free flowing exhaust the instructions recommend using the 155 main. Thanks again for the tip brotha!

Ps - my exhaust is the Yoshi RS3 slip on and midpipe, if that wording makes any difference

Edited by mxLr8

Try it on clip 4.......

Taping the airbox and turning out the FS you are providing more fuel for the pilot circuit ,,,which is making up for possible lean needle circuit

Slip on suggest you left the stock headpipe in place. If you replaced the stock headpipe too then you have full exhaust.

I went back and checked an old post and my settings were exactly like what you have except I was on the 4th clip like Craigo suggested.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

Awesome thanks craigo ill give it a shot!

***Update***

Adjusted setting in accordance with Craigos advice, along with a good friend of mine.

160 main25 pilotStock

Fuel Screw - Backed out all the way

#4 e clip

No tape over 3x3

Runs better than posted setting above, but still not "normal".

Still some bogging when slowly rolling on the throttle in 1st, or when up shifting.

I may slightly cover the 3x3 with tape.

Any advice out there?

My quest continues...

***UPDATE***

Called JD Jetting, recommended:

#5 E Clip

Start at 2.5fuel screw, engine idling/warmed up, turn in until idle change, stop, turn out 1.25

Result- Runs alot more cleaner, still some slight bogging. Maybe consider taping off part of 3x3

Edited by mxLr8