Bringing Home a New/Old CR

One of my fellow Texas vintage racers has the bike I've been trying to find for a long time. An unrestored 1987 CR250. I had one back in '87 and it's one of the bikes I always regretted selling. This one will be coming home this weekend. In the words of Ryan Dungey, I'm super pumped!

1987CR250003_zps8adf33fa.jpg

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1

A good friend of mine has one but he doesn't part with anything. It was in excellent condition last time I saw it. What did it cost you?

A good friend of mine has one but he doesn't part with anything. It was in excellent condition last time I saw it. What did it cost you?

$2,500

• Like 1

Nice.. The 87 model was my first cr250 owned when I was a teenager right out of high school. That bike was ahead of it's time back then. Congrats & enjoy.

Nice.. The 87 model was my first cr250 owned when I was a teenager right out of high school. That bike was ahead of it's time back then. Congrats & enjoy.

Thanks. When the AMA banned works bikes in 1986, Honda pulled out all the stops and produced a works bike for the masses. The '87 CR's annihilated the competition.

Grrrrr. That's the bike I wanted back in high school, they all sold out before I could get one and I ended up with an '87 CR500. Wish I could have that one back at times too. It was a blown fuel dragster of a dirt bike.

I bought a 2001 CR250 to rebuild, I couldn't find an '87 that wasn't completely trashed......

Bryan

Grrrrr. That's the bike I wanted back in high school, they all sold out before I could get one and I ended up with an '87 CR500. Wish I could have that one back at times too. It was a blown fuel dragster of a dirt bike.

I bought a 2001 CR250 to rebuild, I couldn't find an '87 that wasn't completely trashed......

Bryan

That's funny, I bought a new CR500 in '87, and it lasted 13 days before it got stolen. I was bummed out until our homeowners insurance covered it. Then a friend of mine with a lightly used '87 CR250 offered to sell me his because he wanted a 125. After one ride on that CR250, I never missed that 500 again.

Edited by CamP

Thanks. When the AMA banned works bikes in 1986, Honda pulled out all the stops and produced a works bike for the masses. The '87 CR's annihilated the competition.

Good times. I remember lining up at the gate of a race & looking for other cr250's as I felt they were the only competition at the time. The bike was definatley a big advantage back then.

The 87 in the pic looks original & unmolested.

That's funny, I bought a new CR500 in '87, and it lasted 13 days before it got stolen. I was bummed out until our homeowners insurance covered it. Then a friend of mine with a lightly used '87 CR250 offered to sell me his because he wanted a 125. After one ride on that CR250, I never missed that 500 again.

I had a new '87 CR500 too. Man, I loved that bike. Congratulations on the 250. You gonna' vintage race it or park it in your livingroom?

Just curious what was so special about the 87? Was the '88+ worse then the 87? Looks awesome!

I had a new '87 CR500 too. Man, I loved that bike. Congratulations on the 250. You gonna' vintage race it or park it in your livingroom?

It's going to be raced occasionally. Our local vintage club has a class for '85-'93 bikes, and it's usually the biggest class at the races.

The '87 CR500 was a beast. I only raced mine once. Actually, I only raced it one lap! When I showed up to race it, there weren't any other 500's, so the promoter put me in with the 250 Pros. It was in the fall and all our N. Texas pros were back from the Nationals. The gate was almost full and 4-5 of those guys had double digit National numbers. I told my buddy I was going to take it easy and let those guys go, but I rolled off the gate and halfway down the start straight I look over and I'm all alone. I didn't know how to ride a 500, so I'm clutching it out of the corners like a 250 and after a one lap, I'm still in front, but getting serious arm pump from riding it wrong. I get to the finish line and just ride off the track and go straight to the truck. My buddy asked me what was wrong, and I'm told him I couldn't feel my arms and I was going to kill myself if I didn't stop. LOL

Anyhoo, here's the only pic I have of the 500, from earlier that day. The 250 I later purchased is in the background.

CR500_zpsaebe79d2.jpg

• Like 2

Just curious what was so special about the 87? Was the '88+ worse then the 87? Looks awesome!

Honda made several changes to the 88, and they ended up going backwards. It wasn't until 93 that Honda produced another 250 that was as good as the 87.

Wow, looks like no restoration needed on that one. Its so rare to find a good survivor machine like that. Thats too cool. Curious what name they call the 85-93 class, is it a modern evo or something? Number 3 in the background not too shabby either.

Edited by pieplatesnductape

Wow, looks like no restoration needed on that one. Its so rare to find a good survivor machine like that. Thats too cool. Curious what name they call the 85-93 class, is it a modern evo or something? Number 3 in the background not too shabby either.

We call it the GP4 class.

That #3 bike is a real deal JWRP (Jeff Ward Racing Products) CR100. It was a custom frame with a sleeved down CR125 engine that was produced in the mid 70's. Very rare and collectible.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, velocity_gear said:

anybody know where camp is? Hasn't posted in a year...

Thanks for inquiring about me.

I've had a couple of physical setbacks over the last 2 years that have kept me off the bike. In 2016 I dislocated my shoulder and that took about a year to heal up. Then last summer, just about when shoulder felt good, I developed type 1 diabetes, which pretty much wrecked me for another year. 

Fortunately, I'm feeling pretty good again so I plan to be back in the saddle this fall, barring any new blindsides

Edited by CamP
  • Like 2