Sign in to follow this  

Brand new 2013 CRF50 with knock?

Hello, I just purchases a brand new 2013 crf 50 for my little boy and it had, what sounds like, a bad wrist pin or lower end knock, plus tricky valves. It now had 45 minutes on it and sounds even worse! Has anyone else noticed something like this with the 2013s? We live a distance from the dealership, but I'm ready to return it as it has the warranty. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Hello, I just purchases a brand new 2013 crf 50 for my little boy and it had, what sounds like, a bad wrist pin or lower end knock, plus tricky valves. It now had 45 minutes on it and sounds even worse! Has anyone else noticed something like this with the 2013s? We live a distance from the dealership, but I'm ready to return it as it has the warranty. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Noisy valves good, lower end knock bad.

Check oil level as per owner's manual

Try adjusting the clutch (it is crank mounted)

If that doesn't help, take it back and let the warranty deal with it.

Edited by theraymondguy

Thanks Theramondguy for the cool vid about clutch adjusting (awesome Ferrari in the background by the way)! My strange knock sound is off idle in neutral, so I don't think it's clutch related. Just curious if that's how these things sound as I've never owned one before, but I don't think knocks are good. It's going back to Honda!

I would find it almost impossible to beleive a 45min old honda 50 could have a knock. They dont make enough power to hurt themselves. Pleeeze keep us posted

It's weird, it seems to get a little better the more its used. We are doing our first ride together this weekend and if its not completely gone after, it's definitely going back! This is the first year CRF 50s are made at the China Honda plant, (says so on the data plate). I am curious if this has anything to do with that. I was really disappointed when I noticed that after I got it home.

I wouldnt be too concerned with it being made in China, I'm sure that just means assembled in China. Honda has such high standards I'm sure theres a Japanese Honda guy in charge.

• Like 1

C'mon, I'm dying to know!

I am dying to know why it didnt go back to the dealer if it was brand new and had these issues. You three months generally to get those bugs worked out on their dime and hassle.