Another hard to start PW50...Weird

Alright so I bought my son a late 90's PW50, tore everything apart, cleaned inspected and reinstalled including the carb. It takes forever to get it to fire, but if I stand it up on its rear wheel for like 5 seconds then set it back down and kick it fires. It runs perfect after it's warmed up. Yes the switch is in start, fuel petcock is on, what am aI looking at here? Still clogged jets? I don't have a compression checker but I was thinking about just rebuilding the top end. Any thoughts?

I would check the pilot jet again, doesn't cost anything.

Clogged filter in the line? Make sure you have good fuel flow.

Float set parallel to carb flange?

Does it start easier after warm up? That could indicate low compression. You can buy a jug and piston set pretty cheap on ebay.

I pulled the carb again, removed the jets, soaked them in carb cleaner, made sure everything was clean and reinstalled. Still the same issue, If I tilt the bike to the right or pull it up on its rear wheel then for a few seconds then kick it, it starts to fire but is still hard to keep running. Yes after it starts and warms up it is easier to start. I don't have a Clymer manual yet, does someone have procedures for making sure the float is set correctly? Thanks again!

New pilot jet... "cleaning" is often not enough... As the orifice is so small.

+1 This is exactly right.

My son's pw50 was really hard to start and would not idle without the choke on. Cleaned everything and still had the problem. Replaced with new pilot and main runs fine now. BTW you can do the pilot and main with the carb "in place" without removing the oil lines & etc if you are careful.

• Like 1

The bike runs perect when warm. I'm gonna order some new jets. anybody have the procedure for checking the float position? I don't have a Clymer manual yet. PDF version anyone? Thanks again for the knowledge!

Installed new jets, threw in a Twin Air filter for kicks and still have the same issue. I'm thinking it is a float issue. Any thoughts? I think i'm going to do a top end to try and solve the compression issue if it is low.

Man this is really starting to bug me. have the same problem still after the new jets. Haven't had time to do a compression check. What would pulling the handle bar switch do? It seems to me to be a fuel issue. Like others have posted their isn't many working pieces to these little carbs. Should I try a different size main jet/pilot jet? Clip position change? Once it's hot after I finally do get it started it is hard to get going again.

Man this is really starting to bug me. have the same problem still after the new jets. Haven't had time to do a compression check. What would pulling the handle bar switch do? It seems to me to be a fuel issue. Like others have posted their isn't many working pieces to these little carbs. Should I try a different size main jet/pilot jet? Clip position change? Once it's hot after I finally do get it started it is hard to get going again.
compression problems look and sound just like fuel, do a compression check!!! It's worth the five minuets!! Do one hot and cold