motul 5100 synthetic blend

hey guys so they have this stuff for sale down here, still not as cheap as my usual delo400 15-40 good stuff but thought id ask

who uses this stuf on an xr6 or 650 or whatever, who likes it...who doesnt?

I could use a specific answer:

does high rpm cause sipping/guzzling oil issues since the oil is more volatile?

and how noisy is it compared to diesel spec oils?

anywhoo

thanks

thought id try this stuff out since its getting REAL hot 40c plus sometimes and well dont want to burn up my fresh valve job..

peace

hi, alot of honda m/c shops here use this oil, two of the ones i worked for did, seems to be a very good quality eng oil, i personally use castrol activ trizone 15w/40 mineral oil, change it every 3000kms

thanks thats kind of what I hear....

Ill let you guys know...

cheers

I have 4 quarts of that in 15w50 I'm not going to use because I decided to run 10w40 instead with my oil cooler. I was going to sell it in my Ebay store, but I'll send it down to you if you're interested. Although it may cost a hundred dollars to ship it lol

I have 4 quarts of that in 15w50 I'm not going to use because I decided to run 10w40 instead with my oil cooler. I was going to sell it in my Ebay store, but I'll send it down to you if you're interested. Although it may cost a hundred dollars to ship it lol

there abouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks man

There is no standard for synthetic blend. It could include synthetic as 1%, 5%, or 50% of the mix, so you don't know if you are getting better oil, or better marketing. Therefore, I don't even consider it.

Oil is so cheap, why not use full synthetic?

Edited by Leardriver

well without getting into a debate I kind of agree with you except for the fact that full synthetics are way overpriced here and they also make a hell of a racket inside our aircooled engines because they are so damn different when up to temp than dino oils

bad news is I was too late to the party and the huge discount was gone...12bukc a quart is too expensive for me so I passed

btw the motul 5100 are di ester blends...

blends can mean different things in different countries, in the states for example I read up that it means its a dino oil that is filtered and processed and mixed with ester, castor synthetic oils...a true blend of dino old school oil with properties of synthetics....

anywhoo

oh well

stick to my tried and true delo 400, I might try rimula r415-40 stuff next change since that is supposed to be the exact same as rotella 15-40 up in the states

well see!

blend? no. delo synthetic isnt synthetic. go to thier web site or you tube. one must investigate oil formulas very close.

what are the zinc and phosphous content? are they using polymers? esther base?

rotella-t ci-4+ 1200ppm zinc/ phosphorus / jaso-ma

rotella t-6 cj-4 800ppm zinc/ phosphorus/ jaso-ma

delo multigrade ci-4+ 1200ppm zinc/phosphorus

amsoil? good stuff. too expensive / hard to obtain.

a blend could be as low as 5 percent synthetic.

blend no what?????

where did you read that delo 400 is synthetic in my post?

man what is it with oil threads...anywhoo

Ive always used delo400 dino diesel oil in 15/40 in the xr...even after they switched to the le new version...less zinc among other things...its whats available down here cheap, many diesels use them...and its been a great oil for me...

Ive read up on so many oil discussion now etc...even in other languages that this gets old...

yes semi synthetics and lower grade synthetics or budget synthetics and those cald blends(down here, asia etc..)more often than not are not even synthetics in the first place but simply a more refined base dino oil with added detergents, dispersants, anti foaming agents etc...more commonly found in real synthetcis...this was not my point or question!

since we are off track now...and I never got an answer I guess we can delete this thread(dont mean this in a bad way)

...I wanted to know here on these english speaking forums wether anybody LIKES motul 5100 in their xr? the spanish, argentinians, love it...just wondering over here, since there are a lot more xr riders in the states and australia etc...

I got some answers on other forums and Im quite confident that if the price goes down again sometime in the near future down here for this oil that I can use it confidently in my bike with no issues

anyways

thanks guys

Maybe blends are better but I had a blend wreck and engine.

Maybe blends are better but I had a blend wreck and engine.

Could you expound on that a bit?

I've never seen an oil related failure in any engine that used any oil of the correct weight and changed it on schedule. I'd like to hear about it also.

We agonize over things that just don't matter, and make oil choices based on feelings and marketing. All modern oil is very good and competent.

Edited by Leardriver

well said man, thats rubish about oil related failure,and I dont mean to offend anybody with that statement...damage from oil probably maybe in a high performance car or using extremely wriong weight grade or type or whatever but in the xr NO!

all I wanted to know was if anybody LIKED motul 5100...

what I could gather from all the worlwide forums was that its good does well in heat(but will gulp oil a little if prolonged high rpm) is better on startup cause it flows better, its also noisier in the valvetrain cause thats pretty much how all synthetics and semis sound compared to good old dino, especiall diesel dino which is thick as syrup...

Im sorry this turned out into a damn oil thread

it was not my intention so peace guys

Im out

Could you expound on that a bit?

I used a blend oil in my gsxr1100 about 13 years ago and the next day I had a smoking engine at start.