Sign in to follow this  

Fender Pack Help

I am looking into a rear fender pack to get some of the weight off of my back. I want something low profile, but most importantly secure and quickly removable. I don't like the idea of the typical hooks to secure it to the fender as I don't trust those. I have done some searching and can't find what I want. Take a look at my really crappy color-coded paint edit below.

I want a pack like this where it has the buckles shown with the edition of a second female clip at the yellow locations. The straps with two female clips should be sewn to the pack at the red location. The green are male clips. The straps connected to the four male clips should not be sewn to the bag so they can be quickly disconnected completely. These four straps should have one hole each shown in blue to be used for mounting hardware to bolt to the rear fender. These will always stay bolted to the bike and the bag can quickly be removed via the four clips and can be tightened down to eliminate tool rattle by the four straps.

moo_11_fen_mou_too_pac_blk_zps51d187ac.jpg

I hope my description is clear enough to understand.

Anyone know of a pack like this, or will I have to buy one and modify it? This seems like the best design for any fender pack and I can't understand why I can't find one like it.

As far as I know, there isn't a rear fender pack that doesn't require you to mount with bolts thru the rear fender. I really think you're going to have to do a custom job. It could be done I'm sure, but you're gonna have to modify it. I have the moose pack you pictured and it's great, but I was thinking I would like to fab a small platform for it to mount to. I only take it with me when I do long rides (like my Colorado rides). When I do day rides here in TX, I don't use the fender bag. I'd rather not have to drill my rear fender for a tool pack I rarely use.

Edited by dhdrider

As far as I know, there isn't a rear fender pack that doesn't require you to mount with bolts thru the rear fender.

Just to be clear, I do want to mount with bolts through the rear fender, just through the straps and not the pack.

Modifying one wouldn't be too difficult I hope.

Kriega US-5 has these straps with reinforced holes you can screw to whatever you want to mount the bag to.

B0E1481C-8BFD-4E2C-9CCD-92818CA76D44-985-0000033360BBB921_zps3f75154c.jpg

48319051-BF9A-478D-AD82-D1704C5F980A-985-0000033369611716_zps434bb44b.jpg

If you wanted something larger, they make a US-10 also. I have one I use on the rear fender. It uses hooks to attach to small loops which are bolted to the bike*

FF641898-ECC0-47D0-BD7C-3E921E1B26DC-998-000003E43FACCD20_zps3b637bcf.jpg

0FCEA554-279B-4DDF-A186-8E66F66EC3A2-998-000003E438BBF599_zpseebc6a33.jpg

* The bags with the hooks actually come with straps to wrap around a subframe. They sell a product to bolt just the loops on but they are mighty expensive for what they are, so I used the scrap tails from the subframe loops to make the loops for the Husky.

They aren't the cheapest bit of kit out there, but they are excellent quality. The main compartment is a dry bag and there is a mesh pocket on one side and a small zippered pocket on the other.

Edited by gots_a_sol

Kriega US-5 has these straps with reinforced holes you can screw to whatever you want to mount the bag to.

B0E1481C-8BFD-4E2C-9CCD-92818CA76D44-985-0000033360BBB921_zps3f75154c.jpg

48319051-BF9A-478D-AD82-D1704C5F980A-985-0000033369611716_zps434bb44b.jpg

If you wanted something larger, they make a US-10 also. I have one I use on the rear fender. It uses hooks to attach to small loops which are bolted to the bike*

FF641898-ECC0-47D0-BD7C-3E921E1B26DC-998-000003E43FACCD20_zps3b637bcf.jpg

* The bags with the hooks actually come with straps to wrap around a subframe. They sell a product to bolt just the loops on but they are mighty expensive for what they are, so I used the scrap tails from the subframe loops to make the loops for the Husky.

They aren't the cheapest bit of kit out there, but they are excellent quality. The main compartment is a dry bag and there is a mesh pocket on one side and a small zippered pocket on the other.

That is almost exactly what I am looking for. It's just a bit too big and a little more than I want to spend. This makes me hopeful!

Edited by woods-rider

Yea they definitely aren't giving their stuff away. I will say it is some of the highest quality motorcycle gear I've ever bought though.

If you want any other pics or measurements, let me know.

Yea they definitely aren't giving their stuff away. I will say it is some of the highest quality motorcycle gear I've ever bought though.

If you want any other pics or measurements, let me know.

How about a shot of the inside of the US-5 bag and maybe the measurements of the bag. Their site doesn't have a whole lot of info that I could find.

Kind of hard to get an inside shot, but here is what I got. I stuffed 5 dvds in there to hold it open (a common object that I'm sure most people have. I couldn't fit 6, although one could squeeze some small bits in still). The white liner is removable (I'm assuming it is there to keep the pocket waterproof)

DSC00014_zpsbc97e004.jpg

And another for size comparison purposes.

DSC00017_zps64751fe2.jpg

Edited by gots_a_sol

Kind of hard to get an inside shot, but here is what I got. I stuffed 5 dvds in there to hold it open (a common object that I'm sure most people have. I couldn't fit 6, although one could squeeze some small bits in still). The white liner is removable (I'm assuming it is there to keep the pocket waterproof)

DSC00014_zpsbc97e004.jpg

And a dvd for size comparison purposes.

DSC00017_zps64751fe2.jpg

Thanks for the pics. So it doesn't open all the way up with a zipper or something?

The main pocket is a dry bag. You roll the end over and it is held closed with a pair of buckles, one on each side. This makes it waterproof..

There is a small zippered pocket and a mesh pocket on the outsides also.

Edited by gots_a_sol