Loss of power/running poorly after stator replacement

Hello everybody, I recently purchased a '01 drz400 - The bike ran great and the only thing wrong with it was a bad stator which the previous owner had a replacement part for but never installed (RMSTATOR #RM01049). After riding the bike 150 miles over the last week (with the headlight unhooked) the bike performed perfectly. I finally got the bike in to a mechanic and he replaced the bad stator out with the new replacement. It started and idled fine but once I hit the road it quickly started missing and bogging down and after less than a mile I was headed back to the shop.

Would these problems be consistent with a bad replacement stator or a botched installation? (I'm pretty sure the mechanic knows what we's doing but everybody makes mistakes)

Is there anywhere else I should be looking (keeping it in mind that it ran great before the stator was replaced).

I should also mention that the rectifier was replaced by the previous owner when chasing down the problem that ended up being the stator and the bike ran fine with new rectifier.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any help!

Edited by Jimbohlia

Since as you know the motorcycle will run perfectly fine on just the battery until the battery dies with the 12 volt power part of the stator nonfunctioning, I would have to say bad stator or a problem with instillation. If the wires are not properly routed, they get rubbed thru is 1 possible problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since as you know the motorcycle will run perfectly fine on just the battery until the battery dies with the 12 volt power part of the stator nonfunctioning, I would have to say bad stator or a problem with instillation. If the wires are not properly routed, they get rubbed thru is 1 possible problem.

Hey Noble - Thanks for your answer and just wanted to let you know you were right - the mechanic routed the wires outside that channel they are supposed to run through and the wires got hacked.

Here is the really crappy part - the mechanic blamed it on the new stator I gave him saying it was probably bad. I purchased another for him to install but after 2 weeks of him dragging his feet to do the job, I finally picked up the bike so I could install it myself - Still believing the mechainc installed it right and the stator was bad- I followed his install EXACTLY as he did it - and now...my bike won't start at all. I can only imagine the wires on the second stator got hacked as well.

Do you know if there is a good way to fix the insulation on the wire going to the pulse gen? I don't think it cut into the wire, just the insulation. I would really rather not buy another stator - it's getting expensive!

Edited by Jimbohlia

Take it apart and look and see the condition of the insulation. Did it ever run at all? What brand stator? Where did you buy it? If it never ran at all, it is possible the pick up is up side down. Magnetic side faces the flywheel.

Take it apart and look and see the condition of the insulation. Did it ever run at all? What brand stator? Where did you buy it? If it never ran at all, it is possible the pick up is up side down. Magnetic side faces the flywheel.

The first stator that is now uninstalled is an RMStator and yes, it did run. It just started fowling and bogging down the motor when under load, I guess the missing insulation was letting it short and ground out(?). I looked at the wire and it's definitely cut through the insulation but it doesn't look like the wire got cut. It was installed magnet side out. I was wondering if something like this stuff could work or if the heat would just melt it. Thanks again http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Dip-Intl-LET14Z01-Electrical/dp/B00176FG0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367806855&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+tape

The way I interpret your post there are 3 stators.

1 the bad one that came with the motorcycle

2 the replacement RM stator that came with the motorcycle

3 and a 3rd one you just bought and installed.

In regards to the 3rd one---Did it ever run at all? What brand stator? Where did you buy it? If it never ran at all, it is possible the pick up is up side down. Magnetic side faces the flywheel.

In regards to the 2nd one--- I have no experience with the liquid tape. Probably worth a try.

You got it right, there are 3. The original bad one, the RMstator and the one I just installed today which I bought on ebay- it is an used OEM stator out of a low mileage DRZ (so they tell me). And no, it didn't run at all with this stator installed. I assumed it probably just got slashed like the other one but now you have me thinking about how I installed it - I was pretty meticulous but the one detail I might have screwed up is the magnetic side facing the flywheel. I'm going to pull it tomorrow and find out and maybe grab some of that liquid insulation stuff for the RMstator.

A used stator is a crap shoot. You can do the bench tests for opens and shorts and coil resistance, but that is about it. Unless the seller is reliable and personally saw it run in a motor, no body knows for sure if it works.

Yeah, the used stator was definitely a compromise. I just paid for the bike and paying the mechanic (and a rectifier I didn't bother mentioning earlier) so I figured I would roll the dice on a used one. I'll post up the conclusion when I get this mess sorted out. Thanks again for your advice.

Success! I got the bike running today. I opened up the stator case to see if I botched the installation of the OEM used stator (was hoping I just installed the pick up backwards) but it turns out it was installed correctly and the wires didn't get hacked like the RMstator. So figuring the used stator was DOA (I want my money back!) I went back to the RMstator and cut away the wire sheath where the break in insulation was and took some liquid insulation stuff I picked up from the auto parts store and covered the broken bits, waited and hour or so for it to dry and then slid the sheath back over the repaired part. Installed the RMstator again, changed the oil, hit the start button and it fired right up! The problem before wasn't noticeable until I rode it for a few minutes so I knew I wasn't out of the woods until I drove it a while so I took it for a lap around the farm and it ran perfect so I took it for a 20 mile ride, ran great!

I may change the stator eventually because I know that repair can't be 100% but in the mean time it will do.

I am so freaking glad this headache is over! Big props to Noble- you were spot on with pretty much everything.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

'03 DRZ400s    Had some cutting out/rough running engine problems shortly after replacing a failed stator. (From Race Tech Electric)  After tearing down again found that I failed to get the ign. trigger wire completely tucked under the small metal hold down. One of wires rubbed slightly on the edge of the flywheel causing a short. Use extra care when going back together.

Edited by DRZquinn
  • Like 2

I may change the stator eventually because I know that repair can't be 100% but in the mean time it will do.

Contact Ricky Stator and you can buy just the pickup coil for $50 instead of replacing the whole stator. You can then make a proper soldered connection to the wiring harness outside of the engine case.

• 3 years later...

hi , i know this is an old post but i searched here because i had exactly the same

problem...i bought a dirt cheap brand new stator on fleabay for my drz400.

i installed with a bit of trouble because the stator harness was not the same so i had to bidgy up the fittingl.

but in the end all wires where tucked away and neat enough.

on start up the bike idled but with a miss and was unrideable under load.

i was lucky to speak to an honest mechanic on the phone who regularly sees the elcheapo stators not working properly.

there is a 4 wire plug at the end of the harness that  plugs in under the seat.

green and blue wires...blue on top and green under...mine was green on top and blue under.

swapped them over and Bobs your uncle...runs like a charm.

the mechanic who put me onto it says it is not uncommon .

The stators are ok its just an error assembling the harness plug.

i hope this saves a few guys pulling there hair out and throwing parts at the problem

• Like 1