Vintage bikes

Ok everyone who has any info on "vintage bikes"... I'm not old = 26 but LOVE the look of vintage bikes. Have NEVER done any homework on em & don't rly know of anyone who has or has had any. My question is what should I b looking for if I want 2 purchase 1? Brand doesn't rly mean much 2 me but would like something that I could still get parts for if need b. I was think early 80's & older. Thx in advance, Steve

The old big bore yz's are awesome. Also old rm 400 nice.

Cr500 kx 500..cool. yz&rm are rare yz495 I think.I thought about one also...

I'm not sure anything listed

The old big bore yz's are awesome. Also old rm 400 nice.

Cr500 kx 500..cool. yz&rm are rare yz495 I think.I thought about one also...

pretty sure none of those listed even qualify as vintage, those are all post or another class I forget

for vintage you really should be looking at cz, husqvarna, bultaco, pretty much euro bikes, japanese bikes were shit back then

What about maico?

What about maico?

I Goggled "Maico vintage motorcycle" & that is the style I like... Lik I said I have never done any internet searching or book reading on these. Just would like something I can putt on on the trails on my property when I get board w/ the KTM...

Vintage motorcycle has a broad interperatation. I to like the older stuff and I have a fair amount of bikes from different diciplines (street, dirt, trials, scramblers) and era's (I am no expert).

To answer your question, your first vintage bike I would recommend be something fairly common as in parts availbility is still realively easy to source. Personally for a first bike I would steer clear of some of the European bikes as they can be expensive to fix and require some knowledge of the brand to find a good deal. IMO the best thing would be to find a Japanese "enduro" or one of the more common motocross bikes from the era. Be warned though the post 75 Japanese motocross bikes can have some weird one year only models that can be extremely hard to get replacement parts for while others are a dime a dozen. Doing your homework first is a must.

This might not be the exact type of bike you would want to fix/restore but here is my video series that gives some tips and shows what is involved with restoring a 40 year old bike. The first episode will give you some tips and things to think about before looking for the bike you want.

Vintage motorcycle restoration video series

ahrma vintage rules are not vague and have very specific rules, they set the stage for what is raced vintage and what is not

we have one of the oldest tracks right in my back yard (devils ridge) and it's a sea of european bikes, I had a 74 bultaco 250 a few years ago, I need to get another vintage bike

Maico are nice but expensive, there are some rarities that look beautiful but can even be more expensive in rebuild, like Bultaco or SWM.

I would go and search up a Yamaha TY 175, came in big numbers to the US, parts are still easy to find and also something different to your KTM.

The bike and engine is very reliable and study, the bike is legal for classic twinshock trials too. The bike does look nice too.

If you like the bike you can contemporary modify it using a Majesty frame from UK and a 200cc kit, ... doing some trials exercise will also help to

get better general riding skills. The bike is also very good for trails, you can still sit very comfortable.

Edited by P-Schrauber

Hey all,

what would a 1973 or 1974 yamaha 250mx in good condition be worth? The tank and fenders are silver with yellow stripe.

It appears to be stock, and runs good. I apologize if I'm on the wrong page to post this question.

Thanks,

Parski

Hey all,

what would a 1973 or 1974 yamaha 250mx in good condition be worth? The tank and fenders are silver with yellow stripe.

It appears to be stock, and runs good. I apologize if I'm on the wrong page to post this question.

Thanks,

Parski

Hey bro, just an fyi = U posted this question on my thread... I don't care just thought u might get more answers if u post a new thread... That's a cool looking bike! Have been looking @ 1 for the past couple days in my area! Good luck...

Sorry Steve,

I will repost under general topics.

I'm new at this posting stuff.

Parski

Sorry Steve,

I will repost under general topics.

I'm new at this posting stuff.

Parski

Its all good my friend :thumbsup:

Like I said, I don't mind just thought you would get the answer you were looking for by making a new thread. :applause:

Happy riding! :ride:

Vintage motorcycle has a broad interperatation. I to like the older stuff and I have a fair amount of bikes from different diciplines (street, dirt, trials, scramblers) and era's (I am no expert).

To answer your question, your first vintage bike I would recommend be something fairly common as in parts availbility is still realively easy to source. Personally for a first bike I would steer clear of some of the European bikes as they can be expensive to fix and require some knowledge of the brand to find a good deal. IMO the best thing would be to find a Japanese "enduro" or one of the more common motocross bikes from the era. Be warned though the post 75 Japanese motocross bikes can have some weird one year only models that can be extremely hard to get replacement parts for while others are a dime a dozen. Doing your homework first is a must.

This might not be the exact type of bike you would want to fix/restore but here is my video series that gives some tips and shows what is involved with restoring a 40 year old bike. The first episode will give you some tips and things to think about before looking for the bike you want.

Vintage motorcycle restoration video series

AWESOME!!! Thx 4 the link! :thumbsup:

VERY helpful & GREAT videos for someone just "getting their feet wet" into the vintage stuff. I have been looking @ a 79 Yamaha 175 mx in my area, just cant seem 2 pull the trigger on it...

That would be a good start. Parts from the DT cross and there is a lot of them out there so replacement parts are easy to get.

That would be a good start. Parts from the DT cross and there is a lot of them out there so replacement parts are easy to get.

Yeah, I have also been looking @ 2 dt's in my area as well...I don't know yet what I want to do. I might stick 2 my plan & do a full resto n my Honda Trail 70 from the 70's.Then do a more "moto" type bike from that era after getting my hands dirty w/ the Trail 70

The trail 70 is a good start for a first ever project as you can almost build one from brand new reproduction or OEM parts from the ground up so it is a very forgiving bike/project in that respect. Parts are also cheap for them. I have one BTW it is the exact bike I learned to ride on.

The 79 DT 175 is very nice too, but a softer trails bike which is also comfortable for street use.

Anyway a good hint: get rid of the autolube, uses too much oil and will clogg the exhaust.

And if the restoration of bikes had grown on you, you can certainly switch to exotic bikes or

classic epic dirt bikes.

The trail 70 is a good start for a first ever project as you can almost build one from brand new reproduction or OEM parts from the ground up so it is a very forgiving bike/project in that respect. Parts are also cheap for them. I have one BTW it is the exact bike I learned to ride on.

That's funny cause mine is the bike I learned on as well. That's why I still have it. I plan on never selling, 2 attached... I really like 73 Honda 250 Elsinore... Any thoughts n those?

I really like 73 Honda 250 Elsinore... Any thoughts n those?

Its a good bike, very desirable meaning they don't come up too often and they are generally fairly expensive.

Its a good bike, very desirable meaning they don't come up too often and they are generally fairly expensive.

There is one a couple hrs away from me that's for sale & the owner is asking around $300ish for it. It appears 2 be in somewhat rough shape & missing a few things but would make a great resto project if you could get your hands on the missing parts...