Dual Dirt Bike Carrier?

Ok, new to TT so please bear with me. I just bought my second bike a 2006 Yz250f(moving up from a crf100 :naughty: ). Anyways we used my dads truck to bring it home but now i have an isuue. We have a place about an hour and a half north and in need to bring it back and forth. My frirend rides a kdx200. My parents cars are a 2007 Tahoe or a 2011 Expedition EL. We want to trail ride and i was wondering if a dual dirt bike carrier would work or if that would cause an issue? I would try it but im broke and dont want to just burn $300. Any help is apprieciated. :confused:

I feel for ya as in my youth it was as simple as over the river and through the woods to ride.

Those days are long gone for sure but?

I'm not sure I'd put more than one bike on the kind of hauler that I think your talking about.

A small triple place bike trailer can't be more than a few hundred if you shop around.

Seems to me to be a much safer way to go for the bike. And can be set up fairly cheap to go behind any small car.

Best of luck to you and I do understand the budget thing when your young. Hell understand the budget thing when your older.

I was looking at a trailer but my father told me if i bought another trailer i was out of the house. 5 boats and a snowmobile trailer clutter the yard easily

I was looking at a trailer but my father told me if i bought another trailer i was out of the house. 5 boats and a snowmobile trailer clutter the yard easily

Well time to get rid of the 5 boats you hoarder.

That would probably also help with the I'm broke situation. Sell 3-4 of the boats.

Snowmobile trailer... I think you solved your problem already.

Edited by 79yamdt

We store 3 of the boats for other people. I would use the snowmobile trailer but I have no place to put the sleds.

get creative dude... if theres a empty boat trailer get some plywood out lol... drop the sleds in the yard and use the trailer for the weekend

I have used a dual bike carrier for a couple of years. I have an escalade. Never had issues with it. I upgraded to an enclosed trailer since we now have 4 bikes, but I have that bike carrier on my wall and still use it every now and then. They are good. I've used it to carry a kx250f and a cr125 at the same time. We drove 200 miles with it on the back and no issues. Get a good one though. I have this one. http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rage-Powersports/AMC6002.html I got it a few years ago on eBay right around Christmas. It was brand new for 199.

I use a hitch carrier on my Durango

My carrier is rated for 600 lbs street bike

Ok my Durango has a little problem with the tounge weight

Appoxament 475 lbs bike and carrier

What I'm saying is watch the tounge overall weight

I have used a VersaHaul 2 bike carrier for several years now. I carry a TTR 250 and TTR 125 without a problem. The unit weighs about 170 lbs, the two bikes are just under 500 lbs. Works best on trucks or large SUV that can handle the weight. The hauler is awkward to get off/on with one person, but I use a quad jack and it is quite easy. Make sure you use the anti-sway clamp, otherwise you watch your toys rocking back in forth in your rear view mirror!

Last time I looked, the VersaHaul is about $800 new + alot of shipping. I found mine on CraigsList for $150, but I don't see them often. Either they are not that popular or the people who have them, keep them.

So i could pul this off, forgot to mention there is only 2 hills the whole way. but 90% of the driving is freeway

I use a hitch carrier on my Durango

My carrier is rated for 600 lbs street bike

Ok my Durango has a little problem with the tounge weight

Appoxament 475 lbs bike and carrier

What I'm saying is watch the tounge overall weight

So, what's the tongue rating on the hitch? Most double carriers with two bikes on them exceed the rating of Class III hitches, to be within rating one would nearly need a Class V hitch.