Took engine out, now TPS is bad? What!

Took the engine out of my 2011 450r for some maintance. After putting the engine back in, it was hard to start. When it did start up, the light flashes 8 times, meaning TPS.

I did not take the throttle body off the bike. I did not take the TPS off of the trottle body either. And I did not unplug the blue connecter to the TPS.

How could it have gone bad?

What did I do to make this happen?

The tps is sold as a complete unit with the throttle body. Mine went bad in my previous bike and was blinking the 8 milcode for tps. I bought a whole throttle body and ended up not fixing the issue until i bought a new ecu and wiring harness. It wd be best to swap parts out w an 11 or 12 and see where the issue is. I know its not what u want to hear. Disconnect all connecting points and reconnect

It cd be a bad connection. Also are u sure u didnt swap map sensor and tps?? I read ur post. Just mkg sure. Do a search. The prob can be a few diff things

Likely a wiring and/or bad ground issue.

I have a EFI with TPS for sale

I did put some dielectric grease on a few of the connectors when I reinstalled the motto, could that be a problem?

I will go back through the connections, and check the ground. Is there more than 1 ground? I'm aware of the one on the lower right radiator mount.

I have an 09 450r, can I use the Ecu from it for testing?

I know the throttle body is different on the 09 compared to my 11.

Thanks.

You got the TPS and the other one that looks and connectes the same reversed. I forget which gets damaged when that happens, but the TPS code is the one that pops on the kill button

I will try to look at it again tonight.

The map sensor is the one on the top of the throttle body near the injector. Those were the only two i disconnected. I did labled each plug as i unpluged them.

The Tps with the blue plug on the left side of the throttle body was never unplugged. So i know it did not accidently get mixed up and pluged in on the wrong sensor

I will try to make that radio shack ohm meter and test it.

This one is really testing my patients.

Thanks for all the input.

Check the ground as stated bfore. I think i changed all those parts but my gut tells me it was a ground issue. The one near the radiator was stressed due to a radiator brace.

I doubled check all the connections again tonight, and the ground. Replaced the spark plug. Nothing changed, dang it.

I also have an 2009 crf450r. Do you think I can try the Ecu from my 09 on the 11?

I doubled check all the connections again tonight, and the ground. Replaced the spark plug. Nothing changed, dang it.

I also have an 2009 crf450r. Do you think I can try the Ecu from my 09 on the 11?

Im not sure. That is awesome bc if u do u can find issue. Heres where it gets weird. I bought a new ecu and tb and it ran great till they fried an hour later. Thats why i think it was orig the wiring. I had to buy the harness and got a new tb and ecu a second time. If u change all three at once u shd be ok. It is arnd 700 for everything w a good discount. But that was what i did. There May be a cheaper option.

Edited by Motofighter

Took the bike to the Honda dealership today for a scan with the Honda tool.

It had a zero reading with the throttle off and wide open. The service manual says faulty TPS with that reading.