Air filter oiling

Hey guys.

I want to know how to properly oil your air filter. I have a twin air filter for my 400 and I cleaned and oiled it yesterday and it wouldn't start, so I took it out, recleaned and reoiled it only with not as much and it started a bit easier.

Anyway, my question is, what is the correct procedure for servicing an air filter on these bikes?

Thanks in advance.

What air filter oil are you using. I oil the filter and squeeze out the extra oil and then put it in and wait about a half hour or so. If oil is dripping then its too much This is just what I do.

What air filter oil are you using. I oil the filter and squeeze out the extra oil and then put it in and wait about a half hour or so. If oil is dripping then its too much This is just what I do.

I have a twin air filter as well & only use Maxxis Foam Air Filter Spray Oil.... its MUCH better than engine oil (I dont think engine oil is good for a bike filter, foam anyhow as it is too THIN & runs... & may cause ur bike to not run properly...imho)....

After you clean your filter.... let it dry completely.... then spray on a good foam filter oil.... Maxxis sprays blue so you just kind of paint it on... till its all blue.... inside & out.... a decent thin coat... if you get it on your fingers you will see the difference in it compared to engine oil....much thicker so on a filter level its going to filter out more dirt yet let it breathe very well. ps. the spray costs a bit (maybe $12) but worth it since the bikes main life-line is good air in & keeping bad/dirty air out. Small investment to Protect your very large investment.

Edited by cheetah66

my bad... I didnt mean to quote you in my other reply.... I meant to quote the original posting TT member.

Hey guys.

I want to know how to properly oil your air filter. I have a twin air filter for my 400 and I cleaned and oiled it yesterday and it wouldn't start, so I took it out, recleaned and reoiled it only with not as much and it started a bit easier.

Anyway, my question is, what is the correct procedure for servicing an air filter on these bikes?

Thanks in advance.

You'll get many opinions here, so this is mine.

I run a Uni air filter and I use Uni aerosol filter oil. It does cost a bit more but the spray nozzle makes application so easy. Wearing latex gloves, I just spray an even coat on the filter, inside and out, then I work the oil into the filter with my fingers. I love this stuff because it sprays on evenly and regardless of how hot the bike gets, the oil does not migrate to the bottom of the filter and drip all over the inside of the air box, UNLIKE MOTOR OIL!

Be aware though, this stuff doesn't wash out with soap, nada, no way! If you take a dirty filter and drop it into a pan with kerosene the OIL and DIRT will just run off, instantly. I then wash the filter twice in hot soapy water and let it dry completely before re-oiling.

Its really quite impressive to see all the dirt and grit in the bottom of the pan after washing 2 or 3 filters. The filters look like new after they've been cleaned in kerosene, soapy water and dried.

Your milage will vary.

Cheers,

Edit: I have found it simpler to have an extra filter for each bike. This way, there is always a clean and dry filter waiting to be oiled and installed when the time comes. I'll clean the dirty filters at a later date and they'll be ready the next time around.

The only problem is you can't get lazy and end up with 6 or 8 dirty filters at one time ............ been there, done that, lol.

Edited by Brewster Two

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I should've mentioned that I'm using Castrol foam air filter oil that sprays on blue.

I use NoToil, and wring as much of the oil out as I can before putting it back on the bike. Works great. That stuff is about as sticky as anything I've seen, and requires their special cleaner to clean it out of the filter.

The key to any good air filter oiling, is to wring any excess out, squeezing really hard until you get no more drips.

Good Luck!

whatever product you are using (unless mexi moto oil), it has directions on the product!!!

check that FIRST! then consult the authorities here....

i use no toil and use possibly a little less than anyone else... i buy the oil (not the spray) and drizzle it on very thin outside and some in while holding it in a plastic grocery bag... then squish the whole thing many times and then inspect... if its all glistening then you are good to go, don't need more...

moto oil or gear oil if you want thicker and kerosene is the old classic and deteriorates the foam element quickly... but it you already have 6 filters and get new ones anyway it don't matter...

Kerosene does NOT harm the foam in a Uni filter. My filters still look new after several years.

Cheers.

I use spray on foam filter oil. I spray the outside and inside so it has a good coating then I put the filter in a plastic bag and squish it around in there for about 5 minutes to work the oil evenly through the whole thing. Let it set for 30 minutes or so, check to make sure there are no dry spots then slap it on. If you use spray on, wait a few hours to start your bike so the oil can evaporate a little and get tacky.

Notoil just isn't sticky enough for serious dust. Never use motor oil. Sprays are ok, but pour on is best imo. If you spray, use plenty, it should be fully saturated when you squeeze it, and drip out. Don't try to save a dollar on filteroil, it'll cost you a grand before too long in motor work.

The twinair 'system' is a bucket you dunk the filter in- that's perfect. Squeeze the excess out and don't twist ot wring it out, or you risk tearing it.

I use no toil and its some of the stickiest stuff I have ever seen, not to mention the cleaning method is really convienent. I would recomend it. I use the groccery bag pour on method as mentioned above with great results. More important than what you decide to use to oil your filter, make sure to check the filter and clean it often. :thumbsup:

Edited by 0macman0

Not to start another NoToil holy war, but the unhappiness with the ability of NoToil to stay sticky and trap fine dust is well documented on this forum. It sure cleans up nice, but I'd rather ride than rebuild topends that sucked dust.

Not to start another NoToil holy war, but the unhappiness with the ability of NoToil to stay sticky and trap fine dust is well documented on this forum. It sure cleans up nice, but I'd rather ride than rebuild topends that sucked dust.

That is not the first time I have heard that. I clean the filter every few rides, and it's still incredibly tacky and catching dirt. Maybe where I clean it religously, I haven't noticed it losing tackiness. I am sure each filter oil has its pros and cons. Maybe it is so sticky that it catches a ton of dirt really fast and requires shorter service intervals.... :D . Whatever it is, I've used it for a long time and never had anything bad to say. Like I had mentioned earlier, "more important than what you decide to use to oil your filter, make sure to check the filter and clean it often." :thumbsup: . Use what makes you feel good.

I'm using some very sticky chainsaw bar and chain oil on a Uni filter. Some brands are more sticky. It's probably the same stuff as the air cleaner oil with a different label. My chainsaw gets too hot to touch and the oil stays on it pretty good.

The spray-on oils sound easy to use, but I already have the saw oil.

It seems to me that if a tiny dust particle lands on wet oil weather it's sticky or not, it will stay there, and that the stickiness serves to keep the oil from sagging off the filter, which is a problem with motor oil.

I don't like breathing dust, so I avoid riding through it and either pass or hang way back. But I love to pass.