Where to get a new Stator side cover?

We went off roading today, my buddy dropped his drz, was nothing major, Broken rear turn signal and slightly bent the bars, but when we got home, oil was seeping out of the stator side cover (no case savers), right where the JB was from the prior 2 fixes.

The issue is, we had allready fixed that spot with JB TWICE! once from the bike falling while off roading, the other time he dropped it in fornt of his garage, so im not sure if we can JB weld this again, here is what it looked like last time, before the 2nd fix.

brokendrzcover.jpg

Where is one available from? i sometimes hear that buying parts for the 2003 kawasaki klx400 is cheaper, and it is pretty much the same part,

Any links will help,

He does not do the forum or online thing, so i offered to help him out, ill also be replacing it for him.

For LOTS of beer and Pizza of course :smirk:

Edited by 150ron

Can you doctor it up again and then install the case saver over the top ? Might be worth a try since at some point he will need the case savers anyway...

Can you doctor it up again and then install the case saver over the top ? Might be worth a try since at some point he will need the case savers anyway...

Thats the thing, i dunno how many more times we can JB weld it, allready done it twice, it is currently seeping out of our JB weld fix, just not sure,

The funny thing is, i see him paying for a new side cover and still not getting the case savers.... he keeps saying he's gonna make his own set, lol

This is why we do the "preventive fixes" on drz's.Your buddy needs to procure another stator cover,either a good undamaged used one off Craig's List or Fleabay.or get a new one ordered from a Suzuki dealer.

Cover,Magneto pn# 11351-29F60.Ron Ayers seems to currently have the best price.$162.80

If you're very careful you can reuse the gasket by applying a thin film of grease to each side.While you have that cover removed it'd be a good time to do the stator and starter clutch loctite fixes for ultimate reliability.

Now the ordeal isn't over yet.Advise him that after 3 times you insist he fabricate and install some side case shields with a thick layer of rtv silicone sealant for shock absorbtion,and to round off the backside off the end of the foot shifter lever so it's less likely to puncture the fragile magnesium stator cover again.He might be able to obtain some plain side case shields directly from CFC for less than the TT logoed set.

Edited by bumtarder

Check out E Bay

case savers are so cheap on ebay its daft not to buy em (I keep telling myself that but still haven't) but I reckon after seeing this I'm gonna order some for sure. mmm beer pizza & fixing motorbikes, perfect weekday night :thumbsup:

'03 KLX400SR (same as DRZ400) 14031-S008 $120 (Ron Ayers) or used.

Thats the thing, i dunno how many more times we can JB weld it, allready done it twice, it is currently seeping out of our JB weld fix, just not sure,

The funny thing is, i see him paying for a new side cover and still not getting the case savers.... he keeps saying he's gonna make his own set, lol

you can jbweld it as many times is you break it. use window screen sandwiched between jbweld layers.

assuming the shifter is already ground smooth... take it off and beat it with a hammer till it's farther away from the case. makes shifting easier too.

if you glue (soft glue) a carbon fiber spreader on top of the case saver, you'll never have this happen again.

If buying new, yes the Kawasaki version (2003 KLX400R and KLX400SR) is the Suzuki part in a bag with a KAW part sticker slapped on top, and normally KAW parts are cheaper.

TT store will have a decent price and free shipping due to cost... compare to other places INCLUDING shipping and TT usually wins when you add known good customer service.

Other than that, classified here,, ADV, SMJ and auctions at ebay.

I repaired mine twice before I got case savers. The second time I scraped the old job weld off, cleaned with degreaser, re jb welded it and then rtv'd the case saver on. Two track days and lots of miles later I'm good to go. $160+ for something that SHOULD be covered is expensive when inexpensive savers will cover the ugliest patch job imaginable.

I told him today, that i wont install the new cover for him unless he also gets a set of TT case savers.