Help with Clutch, maybe?

Should there be tension on this shaft or should it just free spin from stop to stop?

Background: I don't even know where to begin. I've looked in the manual to see what this part is called, but I can't find it. In my mind it should in some way disengage the clutch since it's at the end of the clutch cable. I'm thinking it should have tension.

The bike felt like the clutch was fluttering or the chain was dragging, but the chain tension was good. It wasn't at any set speed, set RPM, or any time; it would just happen anywhere from 35-65 mph. I came home with the bright idea of adjusting my clutch cable. I popped the end of the cable off that shaft and now the shaft just flops. I don't want to open the case up if I don't have to. I drained the oil. There was no big shavings on the magnet, just standard minimum of gray metal sludge barely covering the magnet.

Any help is good. I have a factory repair manual with a so-so tool kit, but I want to make this as easy as possible.

IMG_4176.jpg

Get a new gasket, some fresh oil and filter. Seems like a good excuse to do the loc-tite fixes. If you go to bike bandit they have pretty good schematics for your bike.

But then again, do what Noble is going to post too it will probably save you some money and mess.

Edited by whyfly

That shaft is a cam that pushes on a rod that releases the clutch. Turn it CCW until it stops. Put the lever on and tighten the pinch bolt so it can't slip. As the cable pulls it further in the CCW direction, it will release the clutch. It is normal for it to be free as you twist it back and forth with your fingers up until the point the cam contacts the push rod.

That shaft is a cam that pushes on a rod that releases the clutch. Turn it CCW until it stops. Put the lever on and tighten the pinch bolt so it can't slip. As the cable pulls it further in the CCW direction, it will release the clutch. It is normal for it to be free as you twist it back and forth with your fingers up until the point the cam contacts the push rod.

Do this.

I had this exact same "problem" about a month ago. There is tension but your fingers aren't strong enough to push the push rod. Once the cable is on, it will give you enough "lever-age" to turn it.

Take a look at my started posts to see the one I started about the same thing.

Edited by imnothng

Thanks, I believe this was not such a big problem and is fixed now. Thanks for the replies, definitely helpful. Now I just have to put it all back together and see if that helps with the noise. Thanks again.