Hey guys I've been riding dirtbikes all my life I'm in the process of getting my motorcycle permit and wanted some input on my first bike. I don't want to start off big with say a cbr 600 but something smaller either a cbr250r or a Kawasaki 300. I've researched both and it just comes down to preference and if anyone has ridden either and has any info reply!

I have ridden a CBR quite a bit and own a Ninja 300. Like you said its mostly preference but I personally like the Ninja better. I really like the suspension on the Ninja and the power it has. It is quite a bit faster than the CBR. I also prefer the way the Ninja looks over the CBR; I got mine in black.  :cool:  The CBR feels narrower and the way it sets is super comfortable and easy to drive (the Ninja has a wide tank and a fairly hard seat but still a comfortable position and a blast to ride). The CBR also has a temp gauge which is nice. With that being said if I were to do it all over again I would be a supermoto owner(I blame Jake the Garden snake, ++AccidentalBroadcast, and Armenian on YouTube). Don't get me wrong the ninja is awesome and I drive it 50-100 miles a day but with a supermoto you can do so much more  :devil:     Both the Ninja and the CBR are great bikes and will get you where you need to go reliably, but I think the Ninja is a better bike all around. 

If you're comfortable on a bike already start with a bigger bike. The 250 won't get up to speed with freeway traffic very quickly and you need the acceleration to be safe. I just bought my first street bike after riding dirt only for a few years. I bought the KTM 690 Duke and love it. Lots of power, light weight and comfortable seating position. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397938680.675554.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397938721.058205.jpg

depends if your style is a cruiser or a crotch rocket !!! In Either style a 250 cc might be too small, and depends on your height. you may need a bigger bike to be comfortable. Highway riding you might be better with a 650 cc or better.

depends if your style is a cruiser or a crotch rocket !!! In Either style a 250 cc might be too small, and depends on your height. you may need a bigger bike to be comfortable. Highway riding you might be better with a 650 cc or better.

I disagree, a modern 250-300 has plenty of power to start with. I do agree that the choice between a CBR and A EX is a matter of preference. 

A bigger bike will keep you from learning at if not get you into trouble- harm. you can allways get a bigger bike later. personally I ride a FJ 1100 and a SRX 250 and I enjoy both of them.

I've owned:

1981 CB750f Super Sport

2005 XL883c Sportster Custom

2007 FLSTC Softtail Custom

2013 EX300se Ninja 300 ABS

I've had a lot of fun on all of them, and if you look them up statistically the last 3 are common for new riders and female riders because the are manageable and comfortable in their own way.

I suggest not focusing so much on engine size and more on ergonomics and economics. A friend or relative with an extra in the shed is a MUCH better way to buy your first bike than buying new. Ride it for a year and then you'll know better what you want.

I personally don't care for Naked bikes, but my buddies 2012 Ducati Monster 696 is a really sexy beast too.