Best older dual sport for touring?

Do we have a dual sport section?!?!

I'm looking for a SUM (sport utility motorcycle). It needs to do two things really well:

1. hit over 100mph, and cruise at 90 all day if needed.

2. on snow and ice the only limits are the rider's.

Luggage space would be nice too...

Out of the usual KLR, XR, XL, DRZ, etc, etc, etc. What would be best? I'm looking for around the 1980's-90's. Price point is more local so don't worry about that.

Maybe a BMW GS?

Maybe a BMW GS?

Were they in production during the 80's-90's?

ADD: I also need something dead reliable.

They came out in 1980.

The problem you are going to have is most people on this forum do not have bikes that would meet your requirements. Your talking about going over 100mph and easily cruising at 90. A drz400 could go over 100 with the right gearing but going 90 for more then a few minutes isn't all that comfortable and the bike is very high in the rpms.

They came out in 1980.

The problem you are going to have is most people on this forum do not have bikes that would meet your requirements. Your talking about going over 100mph and easily cruising at 90. A drz400 could go over 100 with the right gearing but going 90 for more then a few minutes isn't all that comfortable and the bike is very high in the rpms.

Yeah true. Bummer we don't have a dual sport section.

well lookee there......

http://www.thumperta...sportadventure/

There is also a Yamaha Dual Sport section and a KTM LC4 section, etc.

Your requirements seem a bit overstated.......cruising at 90???

Oh, well then. Surprised I haven't been moved?

And yeah, cruise at 90 so while I'm on the highway at 75mph for 7 hours straight I KNOW the bike will take it. I can't redline a motorcycle for 900 miles solid, it's hard on both of us.