Enduro knee pads - Alpinestars really suck

Hello,

I need some help from anyone that has used the Apinestars Bionic knee pads and they didn't fit or were completely uncomfortable.

I got one of these Alpinestars knee pads, since I heard good things in many reviews, but the first time I went out with them I went crazy... It really, really hurt my shin (inside the boot) and after 3 hours I had blisters all over...

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess if it did, you had to buy other knee pads... which did you choose and how do they fit?

Thanks

Edited by godov

wear the long MX socks. That may help against the blisters. I bought a pair of those FOX hinged knee/shin guards. Even with the long socks, they wore holes in my knees. Huge pos those things are! I now have the Thor hinged knee/shin guards, and wore them for the first time yesterday. Well made, and not too bad to wear, but the top straps were very uncomfortable, as they bunched up, and were digging in behind my knees

Alpinestars sucks hard at everything. They are the Harley Davidson of motocross gear.

I've found when it comes to knee/shin guards, keep them simple for best fit and comfort. Full length MX socks are a must for any modern day knee shin guard IMO. A lot of them, if not all, come with a terrycloth type lining, that over a short period of time becomes rough next to uncovered skin, due to them going thru the cycle of being saturated with sweat from riding, then drying out between rides.

I've modified my guards by covering the stock paddings outer terrycloth liner with fleece. No more raw knees.

I've been looking at the same sort of knee guards like the thor force ones... Anyone try out the Fly Pivot 5 knee guards?? A lot of reviews say they're actually comfy?

I like my bottom of the line Alpinestar kneepad/shinguards. They are the Alpinestar Relfex. I got them off of Ebay in new condition and paid less then $25 with shipping (don't remember the exact cost but it was $20-25. I wear them when i'm riding trails with the yz and when i'm on the road with the drz. They fit perfectly under my boots too.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

sure you don't have left and right swapped?

I've been looking at the same sort of knee guards like the thor force ones... Anyone try out the Fly Pivot 5 knee guards?? A lot of reviews say they're actually comfy?

Just got some. Havent ridden with them yet but they feel pretty good trying em on. Seem to be made well and dont hinder movement. Racing with em Sunday Ill update.

I use the ones by EVS and honestly don't even know they are there when riding. I had fox titans before these and they were pretty comfortable to. I got the EVS for the wife but she liked my titans better so we swapped.

sure you don't have left and right swapped?

Yes, they are on the right side.

It's the part that goes inside the boot that is causing the problem. I think I hyperextend my leg and the guard doesn't.

I may have to try out better socks and see how it goes! Or maybe get back to wearing my old Axo guards.

I now have the Thor hinged knee/shin guards, and wore them for the first time yesterday. Well made, and not too bad to wear, but the top straps were very uncomfortable, as they bunched up, and were digging in behind my knees

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with these.

Stuffing a shin guard under an MX boot seem pretty lame but they all do this!

It does seem really stupid of them to do. Make big high boots and then have shin protection added to a knee pad.

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with these.

It does seem really stupid of them to do. Make big high boots and then have shin protection added to a knee pad.

I thought the same thing but I think having the shin part in your boot helps to keep the knee protector in place. If it weren't there when you have a get off and it hits the ground I would think the guard would slide to one side or the other depending on the impact.

It doesn't bother me at all. I actually like having the shinguard in the boot. I feel like I could kick a train with my shin when wearing both. Also makes my boot fit even better.

I have the EVS knee/shin guards and they fit great. My Tech 3 Mx boots don't go all way up to the knee so the added protection between the base of the kneecap and the top of the boot is warranted, in my opinion.

EVS glider lite knee pads.. been wearing mine a few months :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thor sector. Cheap as they get and I don't have a single complaint. Very comfortable, cool, and pretty protective.

But I bet you motocross stars are too good for a 15.99 knee guard. I guess there the working mans knee guard.

I thought the same thing but I think having the shin part in your boot helps to keep the knee protector in place. If it weren't there when you have a get off and it hits the ground I would think the guard would slide to one side or the other depending on the impact.

Yeah, but the part that goes inside the boot didn't have to be plastic....

Thor sector. Cheap as they get and I don't have a single complaint. Very comfortable, cool, and pretty protective.

But I bet you motocross stars are too good for a 15.99 knee guard. I guess there the working mans knee guard.

Haha, ya those are good! I've worn out two pairs of them! I upgraded to the $100 dollar Thors now, and although they do offer way more protection, they are not nearly as comfortable. I use a pair of the cheapies now when I go exploring with my street legal XR, and they came in pretty handy (again) yesterday

Yeah, but the part that goes inside the boot didn't have to be plastic....

Easy fix! Take your standard knee/shin guard and cut off the plastic from the lower portion!

I personally don't mind the shin part down into the boot a bit but I've been looking for a pair that also has straps above the knee to add more protection

If anyone has/likes/dislikes the Fly Pivot 5 guards let me know what you think of them!