XR400 Carb Question

I have a 2003 XR400 engine is completely stock. When I accelerate hard my choke keeps coming on. Has anyone had/seen this issue. What do i need to do to fix the issue? It just started doing this within the last month.

Here is a pic of my bike from this weekend:

XR400_zpsee93b6f7.jpg

It's been a while since I've had my stock carb, but there should be some kind of detent on the choke lever to keep it in position. Is your choke lever loose? Can you feel the different positions when manually working the choke lever??

It's been a while since I've had my stock carb, but there should be some kind of detent on the choke lever to keep it in position. Is your choke lever loose? Can you feel the different positions when manually working the choke lever??

It does feel a little loose, I can feel the positions when moving it manually but as stated it does feel loose. Is there a way of tightening it up?

My dad's 1997 has the same problem, let me know what you do to fix it.

Make sure the screw that fastens the little bracket that holds the lever onto the carb, is tight. You can also take the bracket off, slightly bend it so it holds the lever tighter, reinstall. The lever has a little tit on it that fall into one of 3 different holes in the bracket. Those are your detents that you feel for each lever position.

Edited by Trailryder42

Make sure the screw that fastens the little bracket that holds the lever onto the carb, is tight. You can also take the bracket off, slightly bend it so it holds the lever tighter, reinstall. The lever has a little tit on it that fall into one of 3 different holes in the bracket. Those are your detents that you feel for each lever position.

Thanks for your reply i will look into it today when I get home and report back.

I tighten the screw on the choke lever and solved the issue. That was basically laziness on my part lol. It now snaps into the detents as it should.

I had the same issue. It wouldn't flip on, but it felt very loose and the detents were not as noticeable as on my '01.