Are the FI 250s (10 and newer) fussy starters like carb CRF250?

We just sold our 2008 CRF250.

MOST of the time it started fine, with an occasional 20-30 kick start for whatever reason.

Looking through 3 or 4 pages of the threads started in the CRF250 forum, ALL of the "hard to start" posts are from the carb bikes.

I had a 2013 CRF450 and it ALWAYS started 3 kicks cold (sometimes 2, and I mean ice race cold, like 10 deg).

Its time to get my daughter a new bike and I am between a new '13 YZ250 (2 stroke) or a new 12/13 CRF250.

This is for ice racing and I am very firmiliar with the power differences and such, my questions is.......are the new CRF250s fussy starters like the carb CRF250s?

Now, Im sure there are many guys/gals that have had zero issues starting their carb bikes, but there is an obvious issue (user error maybe) when it comes to starting the carb 250s.

Any imput would be nice.

Thanks.

Edited by cdaniels

No. The carbed bikes start easier, since you can pump the throttle to prime it. The EFI bikes shoot gas each time you kick, so you can't really prime them, you just have to kick,kick,kick.

The reason the "hard to start" threads are about carbed bikes is because these are usually older bikes which need a valve job.

Other than the valves, the main trick to making a 250 start good in cold temps is to run a thinner oil like a 5w-40 or a 0w-40

The EFI bikes are far superior for keeping a tune at different altitudes and cold/hot temperatures though.

No ice racing here so my coldest starts are 25°F. Now that I have the drill down my '12 cold starts in 3-5 kicks regardless of temperature. The drill: 2-4 lazy kicks until the engine burbles (like starting a small 2T with full choke - a few pulls until it pops) then pull out the fast idle knob and another easy kick - vroom. After the bike is warmed up it's usually one kick to start.

Does anybody use ether (starting fluid) anymore?

Edited by DaveCR

After looking through this forum, I wasn't the only one that had to kick a few more times then I wanted to at times.

If the issue was thinner oil or out of spec valves, why do I see supercross and motocross guys kick and kick after a fall?? I bet they have the correct weight oil and Im sure their valves are in spec.

Just sayin.

• Like 1

After looking through this forum, I wasn't the only one that had to kick a few more times then I wanted to at times.

Yes, but that happens with every bike. Either valves are out of adjustment, bike bas jetting problem, guy doesn't know how to kick, etc.

If the issue was thinner oil or out of spec valves, why do I see supercross and motocross guys kick and kick after a fall?? I bet they have the correct weight oil and Im sure their valves are in spec.

That is an entirely different problem which involves having a super hot bike which needs hot start lever to get going.

Many things will make a bike not start, I am saying that your bike should NORMALLY kick start just fine.

Edited by mudguy

I said..."MOST of the time it started fine, with an occasional 20-30 kick start for whatever reason".

NORMALLY my bike did start just fine. Just not sure when it didn't start in a few kicks, I would blame the need for thinner oil or my valves just jumped out of spec.

Anyway......all I was trying to learn was if the newer CRF250s started any better.

BTW, my valves never moved from perfect and Im just not sure a thinner oil would have helped with some of the 20 kick starts.

I just think they start hard sometimes from user error (slightly twisting throttle when kicking, etc).

So we all agree the EFI bikes and the carb bikes start equally goofy? Darn.

...So we all agree the EFI bikes and the carb bikes start equally goofy?...

No. Read what I posted as it works every time, the same way. Plus a get off won't flood the engine like a carbed bike can. As to pros not being able to restart their hot bikes; they simply haven't acquired the skill (I doubt they practice that).

No ice racing here so my coldest starts are 25°F. Now that I have the drill down my '12 cold starts in 3-5 kicks regardless of temperature. The drill: 2-4 lazy kicks until the engine burbles (like starting a small 2T with full choke - a few pulls until it pops) then pull out the fast idle knob and another easy kick - vroom. After the bike is warmed up it's usually one kick to start.

Does anybody use ether (starting fluid) anymore?

This is what I did on my '13 CRF450 with same results. This is why I was scratching my head hearing carb bikes started easier.

I'v got a 2010 Crf250r and starts 2nd or 3rd kick cold, and 1st or 2nd once its warmed up, sometimes i actually half kick it and it will start. My friend had a 2009 model and we would be stuck for 20 minutes trying to start it. GET A 2011 + CRF, better reliability, more after market parts, hold there value better and more OEM parts more readably available and cheaper. I think that there are some carb bikes that start good and bad, and some EFI that start good and bad, but the % of bad starting EFI bikes is nothing compared to % of bad starting carb bikes from what iv seen at the Honda dealer i work at.

This is what I did on my '13 CRF450 with same results. This is why I was scratching my head hearing carb bikes started easier.

On my buddies 2005, he pumps the throttle a few times to shoot fuel into the engine, and it starts first kick in the morning every time.

On my 2012, I have to kick slowly a few times to prime the Fuel pump, then one or two solid kicks to start.

The EFI is better for various reasons but IMO the carbed bikes start slightly easier if you understand how the pumper carb works. This all goes out the window if you don't take good care of your bike and the carb isn't set up right or the jets are clogged.

Either way both are easy to start.

I'v got a 2010 Crf250r and starts 2nd or 3rd kick cold, and 1st or 2nd once its warmed up, sometimes i actually half kick it and it will start. My friend had a 2009 model and we would be stuck for 20 minutes trying to start it. GET A 2011 + CRF, better reliability, more after market parts, hold there value better and more OEM parts more readably available and cheaper. I think that there are some carb bikes that start good and bad, and some EFI that start good and bad, but the % of bad starting EFI bikes is nothing compared to % of bad starting carb bikes from what iv seen at the Honda dealer i work at.

I sold our 2008, so the choices are new (12/13) CRF250 or 13 YZ250 (2 stroke).

Problem is all my wheels fit Honda stuff. But those YZ250s just shred. Hmmm.

We have two EFI bikes, I think the EFIs start better. 2 - 3 kits to charge up the capacitor for the fuel up if its been sitting for a long time and they start right up. Easy starts warm or hot. When my 2012 is warm its practically a half kick and its running.

I gave up the extra weight of the 250x for EFI easier starts and a Rekluse clutch.

We ice race and found running 5w-40 or 0w-40 made a big difference in starting, some racers were running 5w-30. I've been running 0w-40 year round in both sides for several years with no issues.

I would think an EFI 4 stroke wouldn't have to worry about 2 cycle jetting to lean and scoring pistons.

I have the worst time starting my 2012 when it's cold. I do a few lazy kicks then go for it. Fast idle knob out. A ton of kicks later it will fire. It will pop every now and again or run for a second and die. I think the problem is my technique or that I over oil my air filter. But once it's warm it fires first or second kick. Recently installed new plug. My friends 2011 will fire in under 10 kicks or so.

We have two EFI bikes, I think the EFIs start better. 2 - 3 kits to charge up the capacitor for the fuel up if its been sitting for a long time and they start right up. Easy starts warm or hot. When my 2012 is warm its practically a half kick and its running.

I gave up the extra weight of the 250x for EFI easier starts and a Rekluse clutch.

We ice race and found running 5w-40 or 0w-40 made a big difference in starting, some racers were running 5w-30. I've been running 0w-40 year round in both sides for several years with no issues.

I would think an EFI 4 stroke wouldn't have to worry about 2 cycle jetting to lean and scoring pistons.

We usually run Spectro's 5-30 in the winter. If your not gonna run a thinner oil, heat on the engine (turbo heater in trailer for 20 min) is a must........we like both!