moving from drz400

i'm considering moving from a drz400 (s, street legal 21/18" version) to the xr600. while i don't know all the ins/outs of the xr R / L 600/650, i'm ready to learn. i understand there was a water cooled bike at some point, i have zero interest in that.

what i'm looking for:

1 title ABLE, as in, i'll jump through hoops or bury a hooker to get a title on it and make it legal to insure.

2 reliable

3 single carb, i don't want more complication with dual carbs

4 reliable again

5 see 2 and 4

the only reason i'm moving from the drz400 is to stop having stator failures ruin the day. i want no battery , and no issues besides falling down. a lot.

the power of the 600 is where i like it, low and plenty. if you have any suggestions as to what to watch out for in a used bike besides obvious welded sprockets to shafts, please post it up.

thanks guys

my brother had a drz400s and my xr400 would take him slowly in the top end. So I know you would love the 600 with it's monster torque and top end to push 90-100mph. The liquid cooled 650r is the king of all bikes and will wipe it's a$$ with the drz400s, drz400e, xr 400 and will beat up on the xr600 too, but you said you don't want a liquid cooled bike? You can get the xr 600 cheaper than the xr650r though, and has all the power you would ever need IMO.

I would look for a bike that is mostly stock/lower miles that hasn't been f*** with too bad.

Edited by XL100allnightlong

While the xr650L and the XR600 look alike there are a lot of diffrences between stuff that looks the same ....

The L is electric start only and is more of a street bike but can be modified to be pretty much the same as the XR600 but 20lbs heavier due to the battery and starter...

I have the xr650L .... just because of the electric start and more powerful electrical system for bigger lights for night ridding

thanks guys. the xr600r will be the bike i believe. going to steal one for a week and try it out.

as far as charging system goes, i plan to change to LED headlight and taillight. is there enough in the charging system if HL/TL only pull around 8Amps, to power a phone 12v cigarrette lighter for my gps/phone ?

the drag race/top end power means nothing to me. everything i do is under 60mph, and usually tight woods and or powerlines with good hill climbs. i've watched buddies rip up hills (hey danimal!) and tight single track for a few years now on their xr600's.

the low end torque is the temptation.

Do yourself a good turn and just try out an XR650R before spending the money. Single carb, no battery, reliable as an anvil, and nothing in it's class can beat it. It has rudimentary lighting, and is generally licenseable. No electric start, but easy to kick start.

Do yourself a good turn and just try out an XR650R before spending the money. Single carb, no battery, reliable as an anvil, and nothing in it's class can beat it. It has rudimentary lighting, and is generally licenseable. No electric start, but easy to kick start.

wait, the xr600r is air cooled and kick only...

xr600l air cooled and kick only...

xr650r water cooled e-start ?

xr650l water cooled e-start ?

wikipedia has conflicting entries, so i left a question mark. correct me, and i'll correct my post :)

i'm looking for single carb, air cooled, no battery required, kick only simplicity. ie, no stator replacements every 5000 miles like my drz.

XR650R is water cooled, but no e-start. No battery. Rule it out for water cooling if you must, but do still try one out. XR650L is air cooled, with battery and e-start. A very different animal than the R.

Edited by husabuzzard

What he said above..

650L air cooled, single carb, but has a battery and no kick starter.

650R water cooled, single carb, kickstart, no battery.

600R is your only option if thats what you want..

the DRZ's are notorious for stator failures and i understand your frustration BUT .. your selling yourself short by not checking out a 650R.

All of the above mentioned bikes are very reliable, i've owned them all but the 650R would surprise you with its raw performance and solid reliability.

Edited by jetfuel

I have an xr650L and its fun, I would like to ride an xr650R, the R has an aluminum frame and is liquid cooled. People keep telling me it is a lot lighter with better suspension more power. So a totally different bike. I would like to try one. My L feels top heavy to me and I usually ride my xr250 in the woods. However I have had my L every where my 250 has been. It’s just a lot more bike to pick up and the wrecks tend to be more spectacular lol. I have never ridden an xr600 but they can be had farily cheap around here, not so with the xr650r...

I have an xr650L and its fun, I would like to ride an xr650R, the R has an aluminum frame and is liquid cooled. People keep telling me it is a lot lighter with better suspension more power. So a totally different bike. I would like to try one. My L feels top heavy to me and I usually ride my xr250 in the woods. However I have had my L every where my 250 has been. It’s just a lot more bike to pick up and the wrecks tend to be more spectacular lol. I have never ridden an xr600 but they can be had farily cheap around here, not so with the xr650r...

yes, this is one large portion of motivation for the xr600r vs the other bikes listed. locally, xr650r's are listing for 4-5 times the price of xr600r's. i'm not going to get 4-5 times the longevity, speed, or enjoyment out of -any- bike vs what i've had or considering.

if the xr650r is 4-5 times the performance or value, that's fine. so is a ktm 950 se. its just more than i'm willing to pay for something that -will- be upside down in a creek at some point. :)

Hi,

You have been given some very good advice, check out a 650R.

I went from the 600R - 650R and it's a night and day comparison. Why do what your buddies can do on a 25 years old design when the 650R (although 13 yrs old now) will leave your buddies for dead.

The 650R is the king of the hill on this forum, you should take the blinkers of and check one out, you won't regret it :thumbsup: