Scar Evolution Footpegs

First and foremost I'm not normally one who bashes on a product...

About a year ago I purchased a set of these pegs. When they first arrived I was really impressed with their build quality. These are some sturdy pegs without a doubt!

Over the past year I have put these pegs to the test from pounding rocks in the Colorado Rockies to now, the Arizona desert. Now that they have a considerable number of hours on them some issues have come up. The so called replaceable cleats in the pegs have come loose and one by one falling out on the trail. The cleats are pressed in rather than being threaded in like other brands. Okay... No big deal I accept that. I mean your pegs take one hell of a beating.

The problem lies in trying to get replacement cleats! Its friggin' mission impossible! I've called everywhere that carries these pegs and it's a no go on replacements. I went to Scars website and there is no phone number to call but rather a email form you fill out. I filled out the form and explained the situation and expressed that I need new cleats. As soon as you click submit the form crashes. Tried again from another computer that wasn't running that POS Windoze 8 (don't even get me started on Win 8) with the same result.

So basically I just pissed my money down the drain on these pegs.

In conclusion I will no longer support nor spend my money on another scar product. I have a set of Fastway pegs on their way and I know I can get new cleats for them.

It's a shame really because I really liked the pegs but they went drastically wrong with using pressed in cleats.

IMG_20130422_113408.jpg

Amen brother! I don't need a phone operating system, when I sit at a computer its because I have $hit to get done at a computer. I have a smartphone thank you Microsoft.

I don't know if you know this, but you can run it in a normal desktop mode through a app. I believe it's called "classic shell"

• 6 months later...

I have had the same set of Fastway F3 pegs on four different bikes over the course of 11 years and they are awesome. Super wide and I have them angled up a bit to push my knees in towards the tank. 10 years ago was when they were just using stainless steel set screws for the cleats, but that is great as it's easy to go to my local hardware store and get replacements cheap and I can use different lengths too. I would have bought them for each of the four bikes (2002 YZ250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 WR450f, and 2012 WR450F), but they fit with little to no modification so I have just ran them and have been very happy.

Be sure to use loctite on the cleats so they are less likely to come out.

Edited by woods-rider

Very cool! So Bryan here at TT emailed me today to let me know the good folks at Scar read this post and wanted to make things right. Really great of them to reach out to me and to stand behind their product!! Its not every day you encounter this type of thing and it made my day.

It's good to see manufacturers actively managing their brand. ? You'd be suprised how many are reading what you guys are saying about their stuff. ?

• Like 3

It's good to see manufacturers actively managing their brand. ? You'd be suprised how many are reading what you guys are saying about their stuff. ?

I honestly never thought anything would ever come of this thread other than it being a rant of sorts.

I'm happy to report that I have been in communication with Jeremy who I gather is a manager for the company who imports the Scar product line? Anyway they are sending me a new set of pegs. Pretty stoked about that. Until I started experiencing my issue the pegs were awesome. Great grip and excellent feel and support. Looking forward to mounting up the new set!!

Thanks Bryan! TT is awesome as always!!

-Kurt

The products you mentioned are intended to be budget minded. Torq 1 has openly said their intention is to make products that are much cheaper than others. Well when you make a cheaper (as in cost to the consumer) product it is going to suffer somewhere and in that case its quality.

I do not believe that is the business plan of Scar. Their intentions are to make a premium product that is competitively priced with their competition. I was told by the rep for Scar that they identified an issue with the pins coming loose in the pegs on "some" not all of their pegs. They also informed me that this has been corrected thus their reason for contacting me to make it right.

The pegs were fairly expensive, so at the time I was pretty disappointed when they began failing. Unfortunately the retailer i had purchased them from when out of business shortly after my purchase so I could not contact them. I had issues on the Scar website trying to contact them so I cut my losses.

I hadn't given it any further thought until I get this email last week from Bryan saying "you have been heard" LOL!! I think its really great of Scar to track me down and make the situation right. That tells me they stand behind their product and genuinely want to put out a premium product for their consumer.

My rant here on TT was just that, a rant. I didn't expect anything to come of it. I just didn't want others to shell out their hard earned money only to have the same results as me. I highly doubt my post here had any impact on their sales.

Edited by hezzdown
  • Like 1

Awesome! Package arrived today. Brand new set of the redesigned Scar foot pegs arrived. They even threw in a set of orange anodized rear wheel spacers for good measure not to mention a lifetime supply of Scar stickers.

I'll post pics when I get them mounted up. Thanks Scar! You made it right and earned a customer for life and my full recommendation to all my riding buddies!

I hope more manufacturers come across this post and follow suite. Its the way business should be done. When I purchase parts I have no problem paying top dollar for a quality part but knowing the manufacturer has your back when problems arise makes the additional cost of the part even more of a bargain.

The products you mentioned are intended to be budget minded. Torq 1 has openly said their intention is to make products that are much cheaper than others. Well when you make a cheaper (as in cost to the consumer) product it is going to suffer somewhere and in that case its quality. I do not believe that is the business plan of Scar. Their intentions are to make a premium product that is competitively priced with their competition. I was told by the rep for Scar that they identified an issue with the pins coming loose in the pegs on "some" not all of their pegs. They also informed me that this has been corrected thus their reason for contacting me to make it right. The pegs were fairly expensive, so at the time I was pretty disappointed when they began failing. Unfortunately the retailer i had purchased them from when out of business shortly after my purchase so I could not contact them. I had issues on the Scar website trying to contact them so I cut my losses. I hadn't given it any further thought until I get this email last week from Bryan saying "you have been heard" LOL!! I think its really great of Scar to track me down and make the situation right. That tells me they stand behind their product and genuinely want to put out a premium product for their consumer. My rant here on TT was just that, a rant. I didn't expect anything to come of it. I just didn't want others to shell out their hard earned money only to have the same results as me. I highly doubt my post here had any impact on their sales.

that's all great,but are they gonna list/sell replacement cleats  for everyone else that bought their peg's?