Knowing when to bump to B class

This weekend I was racing some motocross at my local track. I got fourth in 250C. I was checked out on the whole rest of the class and the top 3 guys were checked out on me. One of the top 3 riders have been in the C class for like 7 years and I really thought that he was an A class riderbefore they showed up to the C class gate. I think that in order to win C class, I will have to be as fast as a top B rider. Should I just bump up and try to improve a lot more at riding? I would rather get 8th in B class than get 4th in C class. The 2 other kids who were getting top 5s in C class last year bumped to B class for this year and are front of the pack.

How should I know for sure when the right time to bump up is? This is the first time I have done that well in C, but I got a LOT of seat time in at the end of last year and I have been working hard to get better. It is my 3rd year owning a dirt bike and I have only raced 9 times. I just practice whenever possible and I love riding. Will racing in the B class actually help make me faster like some people say it will, or will it just make me have to work harder to get fast? I consider myself as fast as a C classer should be. Any B riders who never sandbagged the C class, just tell me your experience of bumping up. I might post a video from the moto that I had my GoPro on for.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

are there lap times similar to yours?

No, you're fourth in C.

Those guys should be bumped if they checked out on you. Race in C when they're gone, maybe get some wins. The only thing you'll get from racing B is worse positioning. Practice and trail ride with faster riders, that way they can teach you what they know, and not just whoop your ass on the track.

If you are more than 5 seconds off 1st place in B class, you prolly won't make top 10. You might tho. When you can spin close lap times with the B guys, move up.

I think you answered the question for your self already.

Lots of people spend their entire time racing with 'just one more year in c till i bump up.'

Sandbaggers who get bumped up are always replaced repetitively quickly.

The more fast guys you have in front of you the more opportunity you have to learn.

I jumped from 85C, ( i was a first place guy every race, less i crashed), to 85A, i expected to get a tail whipping, and was a front runner first race. It all depends on how comfortable you are running full speed in "bar-to-bar" conditions. If you are spinning similar laps as the B guys, jump up and run with 'em. I just started on the big bikes, 250s, and i never raced C class went straight to B and my qualifying lap was fastest on track For practice and qualifying. the i got 4th, and was beaten by first by a landslide. It all depends on your time with guys around you, you can't time yourself as well with nobody else on the track.

When you check out on everybody every week, then it's time.

Sandbaggers are in every amateur sport without regulation, it just happens.

In my opinion out of the two choices you have; stay and work hard to keep up with the fast guys or move to B class... I'd honestly go for the B class and here is why.

To grow as a rider, you need to be pushed. If you're the 4th best guy and there isn't anyone pushing you to go quicker, then you won't. You aren't magically going to become as quick as those front runners, so why bother? Ride in a class where you can battle people and eventually you'll grow as a rider.

The normal way to do this is move up when you win a bunch of races and are clearly the fastest guy in the class. But sadly in your case, that's just doesn't seem to be the case.

I vote B class, get a good start, try to race with other people and you'll go quicker. Then you can go back to the C class, kick those guys asses! LOL :)

I vote B class, get a good start, try to race with other people and you'll go quicker. Then you can go back to the C class, kick those guys asses! LOL :)

If your rules are the same there, you can't go down a class from a more experienced class. Example: B class back to C class.

I don't know of any organization that allows that to happen, unless it is a totally different series with a different class layout.

I would stick it out for the remainder of the season in C class then bump up to B next year. You only get faster by riding with faster guys, but in order for that to work, you need to be able to stick with them. I pointed out of C class because I'm honestly not that fast. I'm lucky to finish top 10 in 250B but I can place pretty well in Open B. Depends on who shows up to race and how I'm feeling that day. I found that at my age it is much safer to race in the B class and be slightly slower then to be out there on the first lap with all the kamakazi C riders.

I also race to stay in shape and just to have a blast honestly. Im the kind of guy that goes out and races and then drinks a 12 pack after. Im out there to have fun, not make it to Lorettas so keep that in mind before taking my advice too seriously. No diets, no new bike every year. I currently race a 08 yz250 and even race my 96 yz250 from time to time just for fun.

Edited by BDubb106

C class is a mess anyway. People are out of control. I agree with the mentality of "8th place in B is better than 4th in C", you'll live longer and be pushed to ride better amongst better riders.

I never learned calculus by staying in algebra 1 all my life.

I never learned calculus by staying in algebra 1 all my life.

Quote of the day :lol::worthy:

Sandbaggers are in every amateur sport without regulation, it just happens.

In my opinion out of the two choices you have; stay and work hard to keep up with the fast guys or move to B class... I'd honestly go for the B class and here is why.

To grow as a rider, you need to be pushed. If you're the 4th best guy and there isn't anyone pushing you to go quicker, then you won't. You aren't magically going to become as quick as those front runners, so why bother? Ride in a class where you can battle people and eventually you'll grow as a rider.

The normal way to do this is move up when you win a bunch of races and are clearly the fastest guy in the class. But sadly in your case, that's just doesn't seem to be the case.

I vote B class, get a good start, try to race with other people and you'll go quicker.

great advice... when you moving up? i mean in december you were an "advance c rider and borderline intermediate rider." <~~ your words!

you will not be able to move back down in most cases. however i will agree with what tye said. you will go faster with faster people! watch and learn their lines. try and stick on their tails if they pass you. but if you are questioning moving up... do it. it will never hurt you to do so. if you are racing for the trophy then complain to the sanctioning body. if you are racing to go fast then move up! :) good luck. sand baggers suck either way!

I would say try going to some bigger races. Maybe a LL qualifier and see how you do in C. If you're in the southeast try a mega series race. You'll more than likely find out that the top guys in C that you race with are really average C riders in bigger races.

I would say try going to some bigger races. Maybe a LL qualifier and see how you do in C. If you're in the southeast try a mega series race. You'll more than likely find out that the top guys in C that you race with are really average C riders in bigger races.

You are spot on with this post, but if you are not going to race anything but local then there is no point to stick around in C class. I have no desire to make it to LL or really do any traveling to race so I moved up where I can still be competitive but gives me that rush of trying to beat someone better. I am truly a C level rider and if I raced any of the bigger races I would get my ass handed to me. No doubt about it. But at the end of the day it's about getting my heart rate up, getting my adrenaline pumping, and going home at the end of the day. Your lucky to make it out of the first turn with all you appendages in C class at most local events.

Back in the day I was battling for a podium spot in C class. Had my gf at the time take lap times of the top 3 B class riders and top 3 A class riders. I was fighting to win C class with lap times on par with 3rd place A class. That was my determining factor to move up. Lap times don't lie.

Back in the day I was battling for a podium spot in C class. Had my gf at the time take lap times of the top 3 B class riders and top 3 A class riders. I was fighting to win C class with lap times on par with 3rd place A class. That was my determining factor to move up. Lap times don't lie.

Just said it perfectly!

Never. Get fast and dominate c class then brag about it, seems to be the thing to do really.

I got bumped after one C class race, an enduro. My result would have had me third in 250A. I was 30 years old when I started racing.

Back then you got bumped for winning the C class overall. Motocross is a bit different. But really. If you are checked out from, well, the class. Then you should check out of the class. The three guys who beat you need a beat down for for being such uber sandbaggers. They are racing each other for biggest sandbagger in the C class and I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

Even if you win the C class. You are still just a C rider. Get the heck out of there. What ever happened to the general negative connotation of being a C rider? It needs to return IMO. People need to be eager to to promote to the B class. The C class is supposed to be for noobs and people who just don't have it in them to really be a decent rider.

I got bumped after one C class race, an enduro. My result would have had me third in 250A. I was 30 years old when I started racing.

Back then you got bumped for winning the C class overall. Motocross is a bit different. But really. If you are checked out from, well, the class. Then you should check out of the class. The three guys who beat you need a beat down for for being such uber sandbaggers. They are racing each other for biggest sandbagger in the C class and I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

Even if you win the C class. You are still just a C rider. Get the heck out of there. What ever happened to the general negative connotation of being a C rider? It needs to return IMO. People need to be eager to to promote to the B class. The C class is supposed to be for noobs and people who just don't have it in them to really be a decent rider.

Move to B class, spend a little money for Professional training, work hard on physical conditioning and you will advance in B quickly. Don't skip any of these steps.