What to bring along for the 1st ride? New bike, new rider.

Hey guys, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

So, I'm going to finally get to take my new to me 04 RM-250 out to ride. It'll probably end up being about 4 of us and I don't want to be the kook that holds everybody else up because I forgot to bring something.

So, what do you guys normally take with you trail riding?

I'm going to bring some extra plugs, gas, and a small toolbox for adjusting screws, etc.

Do you take plugs and a socket with you on the rides, etc?

Sorry for the vague-ish questions, I'm just looking for a baseline of things to bring along.

Cheers!

Mike

How far is the ride? If you got a flat tire, would you feel comfortable riding the bike back to camp?

I would pack enough tools to make small repairs and tighten loose nuts/bolts/screws.

8, 10, 12 mm socket / wrench

Flat head and phillips screw driver

extra spark plug + wrench

Small tow strap

Water

couple power bars and/or fruit

Carrying a spare tube may be a good idea for really far rides, but I always just take my

chances. lol

Some Ice for your tailbone after whiskey throttle.

I carry...

1/4" "breaker bar" aka flex handle. kind of like a ratchet but it don't ratchet.

3 in long 1/4" drive extension

1/4" socket and screw driver bits

8,10 & 12mm sockets

8,10 & 12mm stubby wrenches

micro set of channel locks (literally about 5" total length)

12 zip ties

about 3 feet of duct tape wrapped around a fresh tube of quick steel epoxy.

1 roll of radiator hose tape.

1 spark plug with socket and extension (four stroke plugs are buried deep within...LOL)

Leatherman multi tool

Lighter

rag

spare m6 & m8 bolts in various lengths used on my bike

compact allen wrench set

2 feet of fuel hose. This can be used to transfer fuel or as a repair.

spare master link

about 10 feet of parachute chord

This may sound like allot to carry, but it all fits into a pouch approximately 3" thick x 7" long x 5" tall. I put this tool kit into my hydration pack comfortably.

Edited by KDIXER

cooler ..water .. i prefer granola bars ... usually a vitamin water or sweet tea for my ride home.

towel to wipe off with when your done for the day .. unless you dont care about the inside of your vehicle...

tool box, anti freeze mix, oil, tire gauge, air pump, bike stand

lawn chair?

good spirit for the day !!! worse day riding still better than working !!

Mike,

With all due respect, I think you can give up on the idea that you won't be holding the other riders up. Of course, that is part of riding--we all learned. Mostly what you need to bring is a good attitude and a willingness to watch and learn. And protective gear. Have fun!

If your terrain is rocky, bring a roll of quick steel, water, water, water, trail mix, basic hand tools (metric). Did I mention water? If you do not have folding levers, bring a spare brake and clutch lever.

If you do dump the bike on its side and crack a clutch cover or cover of some kind, quickly put the bike on the opposite side in order to prevent all of your oil from leaking out. Shut off the gas so you don't leak all your gas out and apply some quick steel. (roll of 2 part epoxy). Once is sets up, you can continue the ride as long as you didn't loose too much oil.

Other than that bring a good attitude and have fun.

Good idea to have a hydration pack, basic tools and a plug and wrench. Maybe a basic first aid kit. If you are riding with anyone on a utility quad, they're usually very friendly and helpful carrying the gear in boxes.

Thanks guys. The course isn't too long, I think if I were to break down the furthest from my truck, it'd be maybe <2 miles back.

Buddies are dropping like flies now to, so it may just be two of us. Either way, we'll see what she can do.

I'll report back Sunday.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. The course isn't too long, I think if I were to break down the furthest from my truck, it'd be maybe <2 miles back.

Buddies are dropping like flies now to, so it may just be two of us. Either way, we'll see what she can do.

I'll report back Sunday.

Thanks again.

2 miles at the furthest point? That's it?

In that case, bring water and a pack of bubble gum. 2 miles is nothing.

Yeah I have ridden 2 miles on 2 flat tires before lol. Bring water and have fun. I always keep a roll of the quick steel in the air box of my bike though.

Mike,

With all due respect, I think you can give up on the idea that you won't be holding the other riders up. Of course, that is part of riding--we all learned. Mostly what you need to bring is a good attitude and a willingness to watch and learn. And protective gear. Have fun!

I totally agree!!!!!!! Just go have some fun and get to learn your bike.Yuor buddies are going to give you some ribbing take it in good spirits,and dont give up.Nobody is born with the gift you need to learn as you go.25+ years of riding and off roading and I am still learning new techniques.Determination is your friend.Ask questions,and be open to critique most of all just have fun welcome to the best sport in the world. :ride: