Sprocket Gearing

Right now i'm running ironman 12 tooth front, 51 tooth rear sprockets on my 08 450. I love the torque and pull of my bike but I kind of want a little bit more bottom end top speed. Since I need to replace my rear sprocket, what should I bring my teeth down to to bump up my speed a little bit... 50 or 49?? I do not want to sacrifice all of my torque though so i was kind of thinking just a 50 would satisfy me

13/51 should be just fine.. I run in for tight single track trails and it will still do 80ish

I don't have to change my front sprocket though only my rear...

go with a 13/52.

If you need to replace your rear sprocket?? You should be replacing the front sprocket and chain as a set..

My rear sprocket is 2-3 years old and my front sprocket and chain was just replaced before the end of last season so trust me guys i'm not that much of a noob and like I said i do not need to replace the front sprocket only the rear.

I figured somebody would be able to offer some somewhat valuable input and experience but nobody wants to contribute to the subject so i'll wing it and order a 50 rear I guess.

My rear sprocket is 2-3 years old and my front sprocket and chain was just replaced before the end of last season so trust me guys i'm not that much of a noob and like I said i do not need to replace the front sprocket only the rear.

I figured somebody would be able to offer some somewhat valuable input and experience but nobody wants to contribute to the subject so i'll wing it and order a 50 rear I guess.

Hey I am running a 48 tooth rear sprocket on my 06 CRF 450R and am wanting to go to a bigger size. I am thinking between 50-52 but can't decide! How has the 50 tooth one worked out for you? I ride mainly single track so I'm looking for some more torque.

Hey I am running a 48 tooth rear sprocket on my 06 CRF 450R and am wanting to go to a bigger size. I am thinking between 50-52 but can't decide! How has the 50 tooth one worked out for you? I ride mainly single track so I'm looking for some more torque.

I mostly race MX and some SX and on my '06 I experimented with a stock 48 and thried a 50 then settled on a 49. When I got an '09 I just went right to a 49. For you a jump from a 48 to a 52 would be big. I think a 50 would get you what you need. A little more torque without sacrificing much top end. You may have to add a link to go 52

Right now i'm running ironman 12 tooth front, 51 tooth rear sprockets on my 08 450. I love the torque and pull of my bike but I kind of want a little bit more bottom end top speed. Since I need to replace my rear sprocket, what should I bring my teeth down to to bump up my speed a little bit... 50 or 49?? I do not want to sacrifice all of my torque though so i was kind of thinking just a 50 would satisfy me

Well seems like you know gearing etiquette so ill skip going up and down in front and rear yields yay result. Here is what I can offer, one tooth jump front sprocket you will greatly notice the change, one tooth jump on rear sprocket you will hardly notice the change. Also post chain length (ex. 116 for my 13/52 setup) next time so people can give you better guesses on wether or not you are going to need chain length work. Yes its a good idea to replace entire chainset when working on these parts but if you are confident you can match things up well I support ya. Just get a case saver.

I might have this wrong, so please take that into consideration, but I'm pretty sure I'm running 14/49 on mine right now -- I think I have the numbers wrong to be honest. I'll check tonight. Basically, I have the same ratio as stock, but with the bigger front sprocket the chain doesn't ride/dig into the chain guide as much.

ben

Sweet chart... would dropping my rear sprocket down to 49 teeth be that much more noticeable over 50 teeth or is it a minimal difference?

That is a 1% change.

Stock gearing is a very good compromise.

I had 13/48 on my 06 and I went to a 13/51. It has the perfect amount of bottom and top end power for tight single tracks. This is all opinion tho so if I were you I would try a 50 and see how you like it.

I had 13/48 on my 06 and I went to a 13/51. It has the perfect amount of bottom and top end power for tight single tracks. This is all opinion tho so if I were you I would try a 50 and see how you like it.

couldnt agree more!! just put on my new 51 tooth rear sprocket and have my stock 13 tooth front sprocket on my 06 and its a PERFECT combo!

Hmm... maybe i'll order a new 13 tooth front sprocket as well as my rear sprocket and try that combo out

I have 13/50 gearing and think its perfect. It had 14/50 when i bought it and i kept stalling in tight trails.now its perfect. I do 50/50 mx and trails