Striped oil drain plug hole

Hey my oil drain plug housing is stripped and I can only snug it how can I fix that.

Well if you mean the head of the bolt is stripped then I would suggest getting a new drain bolt. If you mean the the actual threads going into the cases are stripped then unless they make a thread tap for that size (which I wouldn't recommend, just because your transmission is kind of a risky spot to try something half-assed like a thread tap) then you are going to have to get new cases. Depending on the type of bike, they may be sold in pairs or they may be avalible singularly so you would only have to get the case that has the stripped part. Either way very, very expensive. I would look on craigslist or ebay before you drop a ton of cash for brand new cases. Good luck.

If the case is stripped, id drill it out helicoil it. You can find helicoils in the same diameter as the bolt. Than it would be fixed and have steel treads instead of aluminum.

Edited by bansheedave
If the case is stripped, is drill it out helicoil it. You can find helicoils in the same diameter as the bolt. Than it would be fixed and have steel treads instead of aluminum.
yeah that is what I was trying to say basicly although I personaly wouldn't risk tapping a coil into something that sketchy.
yeah that is what I was trying to say basicly although I personaly wouldn't risk tapping a coil into something that sketchy.

Has been done by many people a number of times and would be my first recommendation if there is ample material.

Put a search on TT forums for drain plug stripped or something similar and there are others that used helicoil or timesert. You can get info on what they did. You have to find the correct size of your drain plug for one and see if there's room to do the work on the bike. It is an alternative to taking the whole bike apart and taking the case to a machine shop.. Others have done it so you probably can too.

You can get a self-tapping oversize that has a smaller plug in the center from a good auto parts store. That way the self tapping part stays put when you change the oil.

Sometimes the helicoil won't work cause the crank is in the way. It might tho.

Sometimes the helicoil won't work cause the crank is in the way. It might tho.

no drain plug in the crank case side, trans side only.
no drain plug in the crank case side, trans side only.

I know for a fact you can't on a 05 yz250 my buddy has the same problem Nd he can't without hitting the crank. I know we are talking about a kx but you never know.

I know for a fact you can't on a 05 yz250 my buddy has the same problem Nd he can't without hitting the crank. I know we are talking about a kx but you never know.

There's no plug under the crank on a smoker. KX, CR, YZ, RM...it doesn't matter. He might be confusing the clutch basket with the crank.

They make repair drain plugs that are slightly oversize.

self tapping drain bolts are garbage they work the first time but when you pull it back out the next time the threads come out with it. It sounds like there is threads still there if you can get it snug. so try this get the same drain bolt but slightly bigger and it will thread into the treads behind it it. trust me ive done this hundreds of times it works.

self tapping drain bolts are garbage they work the first time but when you pull it back out the next time the threads come out with it.

That's why you get one that has a small plug threaded into the self-tapping part. It's a drain plug with a drain plug in the center. The outer part stays in the case.

self tapping drain bolts are garbage they work the first time but when you pull it back out the next time the threads come out with it. It sounds like there is threads still there if you can get it snug. so try this get the same drain bolt but slightly bigger and it will thread into the treads behind it it. trust me ive done this hundreds of times it works.

Use the timesert and that wont happen.

There is enough room to put a timesert or helicoil in the drain plug area. Here are a few pics of my 94 kx250 drain plug under my transmission.

IMAG0218.jpgIMAG0216.jpg

Edited by bansheedave

Use a Timesert or other similar repair kit on it and it will be fine. There is plenty of room and people do it all the time. Some of the info in this thread is just wrong.