dzr 400,,seems very sluggish

hi all im new on here,,,,i just bought a dzr 04 400 endurance,,heard alot about them so thought id give them a go,,im new to thumpers as ive always had race bikes,,,any way,,jumped on it and went to do a few wheelis,,problem was it never came up off the power,,had to give it majour clutch,,or majour tug on the bars,,all i get is 85mph no more,,someone said it might have bin geared up,,but this would obviously make it easier to come up off the power,,tried new filter but just the same,,,,any help would be much obliged,,,cheers folks,,,topp

When you say you're new to thumpers and have always had race bikes are you talking about 2 strokes? There is a difference in technique to wheelie a high strung (lighter) 2t than a modestly tuned (heavier) 4t. Start rolling the power on lower in the rpm range than you normally would with a 2t and use the torque to pull the wheel up. High horsepower DRZ's wheelie more like a 2t. Have you checked the accelerator pump to make sure the squirt duration is correct and aimed in the right direction? What is your current gearing? On my mostly stock motor I will typically clutch it up to wheelie when faced with an obstacle that's close (tight trail riding). The DRZ can wheelie like a champ but it's a lot about your technique.

thanks for the replys folks,,the bike is totally stock with the standard gearing,,superbikes as in road bikes 1000cc,,the 3x3 mod has not been done,,,,everyone ive talked to recons it should come up in 1st and 2nd no problem just off the power,,,,i know ive got it in 2 threads,,my mistake

thanks for the replys folks,,the bike is totally stock with the standard gearing,,superbikes as in road bikes 1000cc,,the 3x3 mod has not been done,,,,everyone ive talked to recons it should come up in 1st and 2nd no problem just off the power,,,,i know ive got it in 2 threads,,my mistake

Have a look at the jetting....remove the snorkel, it should just pull out....

With snorkel removed ..at near sea level..

160 main jet..... (not stock)

200 main air jet (stock)

60 pilot air jet ..(stock)

OCEMN needle clip 3 or or JD Blue needle clip 4 or stock OBDXP needle clip 5 (in order of preference)

45 pilot jet..(stock)

2.25 turns fuel screw

Optional ,but recommended......Remove the coast enrichener

Join the ports on the carb with a left over piece of hose and cap the port on the head..http://www.thumperta...29#entry9885029

You're coming from liter bikes and you're surprised that a heavy underpowered dual sport is sluggish? Doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your DRZ, They simply aren't fast bikes.

BS! Really, so doing 95+ mph on a dual sport is considered ''not fast''

Good day sir!

• Like 1

I believe he meant "not fast" as in holy sh*t this bike is accelerating fast and can roll-on wheelie in almost any gear... which I agree with, but it's all relative.

Hes also saying its heavy and ''underpowered'' i disagree, mine has the stock carb and lifts up the wheel effortlessly, no clutch or leaning back needed.

IMO tis a fast bike considering its a 400cc dual sport bike.

And yeah, its a bit heavy :D

• Like 1

craigo that stuff is wey over my head..lol

Go through the FAQ section. And try searching fcr jetting. Read up and you'll understand.

it just that a few guys i spoke to sayd they come up no probs in 1st and 2nd off the throttle,and mine does far from that mate,,was just concerned that somthing wrong with it

Mine wheelies just fine 1st and 2nd.

Sounds like technique or problems with Your bike.

Take some of the good advice given here.

Check jetting.

3x3 mod

Remove coast enricher

Eddie mod

Exhaust stock??

Any other symptoms?

strange noises?

coughing, farting?? :laugh:

thanks so much for all the replys,,it has stock exhaust,,how will i know if its the vacume carb?? on the books it states its the sk4 model..

,,,whare will i get the pumper carb as mentioned mate

best start would be to take a pic of your carb and post it up. Like others have said it will take some technique for you to get a stock DRZ up, although the E version should be better than the neutered S model we get in the states.

For a second gear power wheelie I pretty much have to give it a little bounce. Now if I clutch it, it will come right up so long as I am low in the RPM range. When I say low in the RPM range I'm talking 20-22 MPH in second gear with factory 15:44 gearing and deathwings.

It should power wheelie in first no problem through an intersection.

• Like 1

right had a look on forums and google,,sounds like i have the vacum carb,,whats the best thing to do the,,change carbs,,and what kind and what will be required,,or is there mod i can do to the vacuum carb?