New 2013 KTM 300 XC

Hey everyone,

Just got a new 2013 ktm 300 xc. Im pretty new to bikes and really new to 2 strokes. I had a 2005 450 EXC last year but after riding my friends 2011 300 i was sold. I just pulled the trigger last week and have been riding all week. trying to figure out any problem areas with this bike, some general maintenace (other than obvious) or some mods i should do right away to keep it running like new.

Ive already been playing with the cab as it was running pretty lean when i got it home and rode it. most of my riding is around 2500-3000ft and about 60-85 degrees.

Also is there anyone who is actully running 60:1 mixture on this bike as the manual says? I just cant bring myself to do it so i have been running 40:1 on a synthetic blend.

any advice or pointers would be helpfull.

I spent all my money on the bike so i have to be my own mechanic, which im looking forward to but learning as i go.

Lube all of the suspension bearings, swingarm, shock pivot, steering stem. The front wheel bearings have little round seals on the side. You can pop those out with a jeweler's screwdriver, stuff them full of grease and pop the seal back on. Best thing you can do. When you start doing this you'll see that the factory lube is about as thick as suntan lotion, it's more of a rust preventative.

I've been running Motorex at 55:1 with no problems....can't quite bring myself to go 60:1.

I have been running 60:1 on my 2013 300 for 25 hrs now. No problem. I recently removed the head and cylinder to install a .4 base gasket and a SXS head. The crank was coated in oil still so I am not worried about running that ratio.

I recently removed the head and cylinder to install a .4 base gasket and a SXS head. The crank was coated in oil still so I am not worried about running that ratio.

How does the E-Start crank it with the 0.4 base gasket and SX head ? Mine ('13 xc 250 stock) starts if I even look at the e-start button ... haha Edited by avocasingletrack

Still starts easily with the e-start