2013 250RR 1st ride report

Last August, my good friend who is the local Beta dealer told me "Beta is coming out with a 2 stroke enduro! You told me you'd buy one when they came out!" I had just bought a 2013 200xcw so there was no way I would be buying another new bike right away. Not to mention, I wasn't going to buy a bike that didn't have some known history.

In the beginning of March, my friend got his own 300rr. It looked just as I expected, but how would it perform? We went on a ride with a big group, and I got a chance to ride it for a moment. My very limited minutes on the bike showed me it performed very similarly to my 2011 300xc I was riding. The Beta was set up for a big guy, with heavy springs and the bars all the way forward, but I still felt comfortable on it. Enough to where I sold my 200 and my 300, to get a new Beta 2 stroke. 250 or 300? I let my friend decide for me, and he chose the 250rr since I weigh in at 155 lbs.

I picked it up on Saturday afternoon, the bike looked great! I was happy to see that it comes with a headlight and a separate number plate; I always break headlights when trees jump out at me. I only had time to install handguards for the ride, back preload off of the shock, and lower the front end (just a tad) before the next day, but I figured that would be enough for the "break in" day.

I immediately felt comfortable standing while riding, which means a few things; 1) I really like the footpeg to handlebar positioning, very comfortable for me and 2) the suspension works well for my type of riding and terrain. The front might feel a tad 'stiff' when it comes to the extra slow nasty stuff, but yesterday we stayed in the clean stuff.

When I had a 350rr four stroke, I absolutely loved the power delivery. It would chug great down low with very smooth usable power, but would be plenty fast if you wanted, with a twist of the wrist. The 250rr 2 stroke is just like that; smooooth down low, with good power if you let it rev up. It would really chug and not stall which is going to be great for the sloppy stuff. My last 3 or 4 ride days were on a Rekluse equipped bike, yet it took all day before I got it to stall. That showed me how well it works at crawling speeds. The clutch actuation feels great as well. Oh, I got to mess with the powervalve adjustment a bit. The stock setting looks like it's at one turn in from flush. The bike felt as if it had more of a 2 stroke 'hit' than I wanted. So I backed out the screw one full turn, allowing the powervalve to open sooner. This worked out perfectly; more low/mid range with a predictable 'hit' coming onto the power.

It maneuvers very light, in fact I swear it handles like a 200. Definitely lighter feeling to maneuver than my KTM300s were. Suspension-wise, up front it felt a bit harsh for the normal (slow) speeds that most of my terrain dictates; but to be honest all I did was back off the compression a couple of clicks and that was all the fiddling I did with the clickers. I'll probably be able to tune it further with the clickers, and/or it wil break in to become more to my liking. For the medium to faster stuff, it was perfect. On the shock, I had the preload backed off more than most people would so that it sits lower for my short self, but it didn't do anything unexpected.

My initial thought is that the front brake doesn't have the bite of the KTMs, that might be just a brake pad compound thing. Seat is hard, even harder than a new KTM. Not much else to complain about!

It could be just 'new bike syndrome', but I'm really happy with the Beta. the 250rr's power is just how I like it; a 300 has so much torque it often gets away from me, this feels more controllable. But it will still lug well, on my 200 if I wasn't in the right gear I'd be in trouble! but this 250 is more forgiving.

Next week we'll hit the nastier stuff and I'll report back.

Awesome to hear that you're loving the new scoot. I'd love to get a 250 to go with my 400.

I agree, one of each

thanks for the write up... im seriously considering the 250rr even though i weight that much without gear... i use to have an old honda cr 250 and it kicked my ass everywhere i went... i couldn't imagine a 300 2t... i just sold my honda 450x it was a big bike but very forgiving and hauled my fat ars everywhere... hoping the 250rr can do that same... i like the tighter slower trails and no longer want a big thumper...

please keep the write ups coming. I am hoping Beta catches on and we get more support for them in Canda...

add pics!!!!

Great report looking forward to mine. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Glad your stoked! Since I'm interested in the bike I would like to see how the The beta clutch's hold up to severe abuse, tricky uphills, is it the same as the four stroke? . I understand that its a four springs and a bellville only designe. Not that my 011 gg clutch is anything to rave about. It doesnt like to get hot!. Looking at the pipe to head juncture I would keep a sharp eye on the pipe orings . You dont want to wear the exhaust spigot on the head. Something that could possibly happen especially if you ride regularly through deep mud or sandy slur.

Edited by widebear

Glad your stoked! Since I'm interested in the bike I would like to see how the The beta clutch's hold up to severe abuse, tricky uphills, is it the same as the four stroke? . I understand that its a four springs and a bellville only designe. Not that my 011 gg clutch is anything to rave about. It doesnt like to get hot!. Looking at the pipe to head juncture I would keep a sharp eye on the pipe orings . You dont want to wear the exhaust spigot on the head. Something that could possibly happen especially if you ride regularly through deep mud or sandy slur.

It's a four coil-spring affair (shared with the four-strokes) with an anti-judder spring in the back. If noise isn't an issue you can ditch the anti-judder gear and add another friction plate. Should be plenty strong for a 250 or 300.

Should be plenty strong for a 250 or 300.

You are right it is. Tranny is exactly the same with 4-strokes which have proved their reliability.

I have a Beta 2-st CORE EXP already but I will fit it after Sunday's race.

Awesome report and cant wait to get mine!!!

I love the look of the black rims and the contrast of the swing arm, beautiful!

DSCN2659.JPG

The finish on the FMF pipe is a joy to behold!

DSCN2660.JPG

She loves playing in the dirt.

Day 2 on the new Beta. I made the mistake of going on a river bed ride with a few others. I'm only 5'6" with a 29" inseam, making any full sized dirt bike too tall for me. On my KTMs I always install a shorter shock and low seat to help the foot dabs, but haven't done anything yet on the Beta. I did install some nice scratches on the right side of my bike and on the carbon pipe guard. crying.gif At least I got that done and out of the way.

I ended up with a lot of spooge dripping down the muffler. I didn't have time to rejet, I hope to do some of that next weekend. I never really cared for the FMF Q Stealth muffler, they have always drooled for me and I feel they aren't the best for power. But it'll do for now.

I did a back to back with my buddy's 2012 KTM200. There must be a 20 lb difference between the two bikes; but I swear the 250rr felt as light handling, if not lighter. Another friend with a 2008 250xcw rode the Beta and he also commented on how light the Beta felt.

Suspension-wise, same as I said before--it feels great at medium and fast speeds, but at slow tight technical trails, I think the current xcw forks are noticeably better. I hope it's just some clicks away, but I don't know if that will be enough.

Did I mention that hard seat? Ouch! I was hoping my Guts Racing soft seat foam was gonna be in before the weekend, but no such luck so I had to endure that brick again. The foam will be here for sure this week; I'll trim it before installing to help with the foot dabs. I'll also try changing the big 140 rear tire to a 110, hopefully gain some additional ground reach.

Just another day in Paradise ridin' dirt bikes!

Edited by KimDN

Hey KimDN,

I'm in a very similar situation, I have an 11' 300xc and a 05' 200exc. I'm 5'7" 155lbs. I find it challenging sometimes to manuever the 300 in singletrack. How does the Beta 250 compare. I've heard the Betas have a lower seat height.

Suspension-wise, same as I said before--it feels great at medium and fast speeds, but at slow tight technical trails, I think the current xcw forks are noticeably better. I hope it's just some clicks away, but I don't know if that will be enough.

You need the correct springs, you are way too light for the stock rates.

randysoo, I think the Beta handles better than both of those bikes in all situations. It is lower than the KTM, but not a lot. Bassman, you may be right about the spring rates; although on my KTM250/300s, I did like the same .42 kg spring rate in the forks. At the shock, I definitely need at least one rate softer.

fourth ride yesterday. The Beta got me up some sections that I would have had trouble with on any other bike; some rocky step ups, perfect power and clutch actuation. I had a CLever Lever easy pull clutch lever from a previous bike, so I put it on the Beta. That helped out the clutch pull a lot, the stock pull on the Beta is a little heavier than a KTM.

I let one of the local fast off road guys here take it for a spin, he already has a 250rr coming and wanted to see what it was like. Without me saying anything, his first comment was that it handles at least as light as his KTM200. Second thing was that he liked how you could really lug it down to almost idle rpms.

One of my regular riding buddies got his first ride on his new 300rr. Coming off a 2012 KTM300, he was immediately comfortable on the Beta. He kept saying that it was like someone built a bike just for him :) I took it for a quick spin, and like that first 300rr I rode, this bike carburets perfectly. I wouldn't even touch a setting on it. Wish my 250r r was the same; although it is very good.

I just got a SmartCarb for the Beta, but the clearance is very tight now with the stock carb and shock. It's gonna take some work to make it fit, hopefully I can get it on there.

BTW I still haven't kickstarted the bike!

Edited by KimDN

It is actually insane how good that starter is. Not one hickup with it, and the battery is just as good!!!!!

fourth ride yesterday. The Beta got me up some sections that I would have had trouble with on any other bike; some rocky step ups, perfect power and clutch actuation. I had a CLever Lever easy pull clutch lever from a previous bike, so I put it on the Beta. That helped out the clutch pull a lot, the stock pull on the Beta is a little heavier than a KTM.

I let one of the local fast off road guys here take it for a spin, he already has a 250rr coming and wanted to see what it was like. Without me saying anything, his first comment was that it handles at least as light as his KTM200. Second thing was that he liked how you could really lug it down to almost idle rpms.

One of my regular riding buddies got his first ride on his new 300rr. Coming off a 2012 KTM300, he was immediately comfortable on the Beta. He kept saying that it was like someone built a bike just for him :) I took it for a quick spin, and like that first 300rr I rode, this bike carburets perfectly. I wouldn't even touch a setting on it. Wish my 250r r was the same; although it is very good.

I just got a SmartCarb for the Beta, but the clearance is very tight now with the stock carb and shock. It's gonna take some work to make it fit, hopefully I can get it on there.

Let us know how the smartcarb works out. Maybe a vid and some pics ;)

Edited by thebob_za

Oooooh boy! Another Smart Carb frenzy!! Now for the Beta. According To the 1000's of posts on the KTMTalk thread, It's the best thing since sliced bread. Of course you might have to chop up your air boot and raise the subframe to get it to fit.

What's wrong with the stock carb? The 300RR I rode ran perfectly crisp and clean with stock jetting.

Don't mean to be bagging you on your choice of fuel delivery. I personally think it's insane to spend 500-700 bucks on an unproven device to deliver fuel when the stock carb works just fine. I remember when guys were buying the "Lectron" carbs. That feeding frenzy died down after a few years.

In the end it is your choice. I would use extreme caution when setting it up so as not to create a lean condition and seize the motor up.

Look over at Cafehusky, Lectron carbs are back or are still in that feeding frenzy.