K&n air filters

So just figured I'd ask what everybody's opinion is of them. The previous owner of my bike put one on my yz250f. Ive had someone tell me theyre not really that good. Maybe he just had a bad experience idk. I've heard multiple opinions about how good they actually are. Are they worth the money? Do they actually provide better protection? Being that I ride mostly in sand I hate to have something in my bike just for the name. If it doesn't provide the protection I need it really is no help to me at all.

So just figured I'd ask what everybody's opinion is of them. The previous owner of my bike put one on my yz250f. Ive had someone tell me theyre not really that good. Maybe he just had a bad experience idk. I've heard multiple opinions about how good they actually are. Are they worth the money? Do they actually provide better protection? Being that I ride mostly in sand I hate to have something in my bike just for the name. If it doesn't provide the protection I need it really is no help to me at all.

Test have proven them less effective than foam filters.

I have in the past had good luck with them but you have to make sure they remain oiled if dusty it can draw out the oil and filtering ability decreases and I recommend a prefilter-UNI-foam which I run dry or a K&N mesh style prefilter. What I find if you ride in an area with fine silica and don't run the prefilter the fine dust might get through especially if you let the oil dry. One thing I like is the K & N handles getting wet better than most other filters.If you ride in extremely fine dusty conditions stick to a foam filter and clean often!

if you ride in sand get rid of that k an n! get a foam filter and oil and cleen it regularly.

I was going to buy a k&n filter for my bike. The owner of the store actually talked me out of it because he knows they are not very good filters...... (he has been in the motocross business for quite some time)

Edited by YamahaFanBoy923

The best filter is paper but they are not tolerant of water so off roaders use foam. K&Ns do not filter as good as foam but they flow more air, pick your poison; a bit more air flow on top end or short ring and valve life.

I agree with what others have said but something else to look into is the LoudMouth Intake system, I got one for the 450 and love it.

I run no toil foam filters on all my bikes and quad. Work great and last forever plus for some crazy reason they come clean way better than any other filter I've ever used.