2004 CRF250X LOUDER

I have a 2004crf250x basically stock. Was rejetted but not sure to what as I someone else did it. I want it as loud as possible without hurting the motor as I can take the baffle out but that isnt good on the valves. I was gonna do just the R muffler but if I do that do I need rejetting. Im sure there is a thread on here already but ive already spent hours trying to find it to no avail. Id appreciate any help. Thanks

Here is a link to the FAQ thread:

http://www.thumperta...qs-in-progress/

in which you will find a Jetting thread.

As far as the exhaust, I have to add two comments:

1. Louder does not automatically mean more performance

2. Unless your riding on a closed course track, your doing the riding community and your fellow riders a disservice. Area after area is being closed down and many towns are putting in place bans on where you can ride because all too many of us ride with exhaust systems that are far louder then they should be.

Even closed course venues are coming under fire because of noise. We have a local track here that right now is fighting off lawsuits and closure over noise.

AMA events require 92 db's. Any lounder then that and your only shooting yourself in the foot.

FWIW,

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Here is an exhaust with a modified, drilled out baffle. This would be quite a bit louder than what you have. this would be a better option than drilling out your own baffle. If you drill yours out and then need to get a new one to ride certain places, a new baffle can be upwards of $200 and a used one can be more than $100.

You could get this one, be much louder than stock without the problems of no-backpressure in your pipe, and still have your original available in case you need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300892695548?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300892695548?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here is an exhaust with a modified, drilled out baffle.

FYI; there's no spark arrestor on there either.

Jim.

I want it as loud as possible without hurting the motor

What a juvenile statement. As JimDettman stated, loud does not equal more power. Loud does equal getting riding areas shut down. Even if you are on a closed course, it just makes all of us a target because you think it's cool to have a bike that you can hear for miles. Drill the baffle or cut off the end plate at the farthest inside part of the baffle. This opens it up to run right, but will keep you from being obnoxiosly loud. Plus it keeps your spark arrestor intact. I can post pics of mine if you want to see what I mean.

Here is an exhaust with a modified, drilled out baffle. This would be quite a bit louder than what you have. this would be a better option than drilling out your own baffle. If you drill yours out and then need to get a new one to ride certain places, a new baffle can be upwards of $200 and a used one can be more than $100.

You could get this one, be much louder than stock without the problems of no-backpressure in your pipe, and still have your original available in case you need it.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

Ok Thanks I will look into that as that is much more economical.

What a juvenile statement. As JimDettman stated, loud does not equal more power. Loud does equal getting riding areas shut down. Even if you are on a closed course, it just makes all of us a target because you think it's cool to have a bike that you can hear for miles. Drill the baffle or cut off the end plate at the farthest inside part of the baffle. This opens it up to run right, but will keep you from being obnoxiosly loud. Plus it keeps your spark arrestor intact. I can post pics of mine if you want to see what I mean.

Yes if you dont mind Id like to see pics. And first of all just because Id like my bike louder doesnt make me juvenile. I just dont like my bike sounding like a prius when Im out riding with my friends. Second of all if I was wanting more power I wouldnt go with just exhaust. Im just used to driving a loud car and would like my dirtbike to have a little rougher sound. Thanks.

Oh, you want a rougher sound? Retard the cam a tooth on the chain. :bonk:

Oh, you want a rougher sound? Retard the cam a tooth on the chain. :bonk:

What? That makes no sense. You mean replace the cam?

Yes if you dont mind Id like to see pics. And first of all just because Id like my bike louder doesnt make me juvenile. I just dont like my bike sounding like a prius when Im out riding with my friends. Second of all if I was wanting more power I wouldnt go with just exhaust. Im just used to driving a loud car and would like my dirtbike to have a little rougher sound. Thanks.

Sorry, but statements like this do make you sound juvenile in the dirtbike world. In your first post you said that you wanted to make it as loud as possible. Others here have tried to explain that loud is not good. I think there is a misunderstanding here. Most of us have modified there stock exhaust or have gone with a aftermarket system which make the bike a little louder. As I'm sure you've read here that opening the 250X up on the intake and exhaust is a must in order to get this bike up to its maximum potential. This is fine as long as you dont go too loud. Alot of the cheaper or lower end muffflers out there are loud and require a insert to keep the noise down. There are quite a few manufacturers out there that make great mufflers that are louder that the stock X with the baffle but still acceptable in the off road world without being obnoxious to those that are not.

You know, it is *extremely* rare that I toss out a comment like this....but I think you just made his point.

If you want to impress your friends, just ride better then they do. Running a loud bike has nothing to do with anything other then being loud.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

If you want to impress your friends, just ride better then they do. Running a loud bike has nothing to do with anything other then being loud.

Jim.

+1

SANY1919.JPGSANY1920.JPG

Just cutting off the very end plate opens it up well. I have a video too that I took for someone else that I will try to upload. Remember, there is a huge difference between opening it up to make it run right and making it "as loud as POSSIBLE" as you originally posted. Mine runs well and sounds good, but I can ride right past a ranger in the national forest and he just waves!

Ok, first time ever trying to put a youtube vid in a post but here goes. Remember I am in a carport and the mic on my camera is probably not the best.

Edited by rmoore0852

Now that I have it figured out, here is what the opened up exhaust sounds like on the trail.

Too tell you the truth when I had my starter fixed the mech opened up my airbox and removed the baffle and changed a jet.Not a big difference in loudness.

Actually when I bought the bike the baffle was removed and I hounded the dude I bought it from to get it back.He did send it to me,when I put it on no noticable difference in sound or performance.

When the mech removed it,it runs a little better,but he also opened the airbox up and jetted it so thats probably what pepped it up a bit.

Super loud is definetly a big no-no in AZ,instant bust if a ranger sees/hears you.

And noise is one of the main reasons if not thee main reasons everything that was close to me is closed.

Like I said tho,I dont hear much difference w/ or w/o it.Drill or cut the end off.