How big do you need to be to ride a 250 4 stroke?

My buddy is a adult that is 5 foot tall and 125 lbs and has been riding a CR 85. He now wants a 4 stroke and is looking at CRF 150 R's

Is he big enough for a crf 250 if he put a lowering link on the rear shock?

Or would he be better off with a 150R?

He wants to be able to throw it around, but I am afraid he will run out of power on a 150R and spend a fortune chaising more HP.

What do you think?

Depends on his skill. A 150r isn't going to be much different than an 85, other than it is a 4 stroke. Same class of bike. If girls can ride grown up bikes, I am sure there is a way a short guy can as well. Lowering links, shave the seat, etc.. What kind of riding is your buddy doing? Suspension tuners can also lower the suspension internally as well.

I doubt it. Honestly, why bother? It's easier to buy a bike made for someone your size then ride one that you try to make suit you. There are lots of things you can do but all hurt performance like limiting the suspension travel and taking foam out of the seat.

A nice kx100 would be more then enough bike I'm sure, if he wants more power he could always make one scream with the right porting, a big bore and a few other mods. They can make power that 125's make in modified form and they weigh 40 pounds less then a 125 (and like 60 less then a 250f).

I had a crf150RB (big wheel) was going to be my GF's bike but she liked her smaller/lighter YZ85 more so I got to ride it a lot. The CRF150rb is a powerful little thumper. Make no mistake about it is not in the same league as the 85cc two strokes this bike has much more torque and power. It moves out and is a lot of fun. Manageable power, good ergonomics for a short frame and really well built. If have him ride it for a while and add power/gearing as needed. If he's using it on a track it'll be great the suspension is excellent out in the desert it rides the limiter a lot due to the gearing. Nice bike I just switched to a crf 250r recently from that little bike ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366822740.737607.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366822793.413080.jpg

I doubt it. Honestly, why bother? It's easier to buy a bike made for someone your size then ride one that you try to make suit you. There are lots of things you can do but all hurt performance like limiting the suspension travel and taking foam out of the seat.

A nice kx100 would be more then enough bike I'm sure, if he wants more power he could always make one scream with the right porting, a big bore and a few other mods. They can make power that 125's make in modified form and they weigh 40 pounds less then a 125 (and like 60 less then a 250f).

Please explain to me how taking foam out of the seat is going to hurt the performance of a bike? You have called me an idiot now a few times and I think we're even. That's honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard..

• Like 2

My buddy is a adult that is 5 foot tall and 125 lbs and has been riding a CR 85. He now wants a 4 stroke and is looking at CRF 150 R's

Is he big enough for a crf 250 if he put a lowering link on the rear shock?

Or would he be better off with a 150R?

He wants to be able to throw it around, but I am afraid he will run out of power on a 150R and spend a fortune chaising more HP.

What do you think?

The crf150r sounds like the perfect choice in this case. I have ridden them back to back with the 85s and here are my obsevations:

They have a heck of a lot of power! Suprisingly so for such a small 4T. Definitely more than the 85.

They are louder, and definitely have that 4 stroke growl if that's what he wants.

They have enormous amounts of low end torque compared to the 85, just let the clutch out at idle and you're off and running.

They have a very smooth powerband, and every bit of the throttle is useful.

They are much heavier feeling and harder to start when stalled compared to the 85.

They provide a smooth confident ride, but not an exciting ride like the 85.

They are more expensive to buy and fix.

Edited by rjpjnk

Please explain to me how taking foam out of the seat is going to hurt the performance of a bike? You have called me an idiot now a few times and I think we're even. That's honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard..

Ever ride a bike with a shaved seat? I have. It sucks. It makes it much harder on you to ride, my last bike had a shaved seat and it was like sitting on a rock. Makes it feel a lot rougher and you feel every bump. Think about it, you're taking out foam from the seat, of course it's going to hurt the ride of your bike. That's what I was trying to say. Also, I stand by any of my past statements.

Ever ride a bike with a shaved seat? I have. It sucks. It makes it much harder on you to ride, my last bike had a shaved seat and it was like sitting on a rock. Makes it feel a lot rougher and you feel every bump. Think about it, you're taking out foam from the seat, of course it's going to hurt the ride of your bike. That's what I was trying to say. Also, I stand by any of my past statements.

your seat must not have been done right .my seat is shaved. looks like shit but feels amazing. doesnt make it harder, doesnt make you feel every bump.

your seat must not have been done right .my seat is shaved. looks like shit but feels amazing. doesnt make it harder, doesnt make you feel every bump.

My seat looks stock but it wasn't. If you're taking padding out you can't tell me it doesn't make it harder because it does. End of story.

My seat looks stock but it wasn't. If you're taking padding out you can't tell me it doesn't make it harder because it does. End of story.

That is what I'm telling you. I put a stock not shaved seat and I liked my stock shaved seat in the end did not notice it being any more bumpy than it was with out a shaved seat

I'm 5'3" 145lbs and I just got a 04 rmz 250 and I love it! I've been on an 85 for so long and been wanting a bigger bike.. Picked up the 250f for $900, set the sag, and never been happier. Only problem I have is taking off, I have to do this weird little hop lol.

Dont get a 150, im too tall for those and im only 5'2 100 pounds. I currently have a 2005 RMZ250 and i feel pretty comfortable on it. Although it will be good the have a lowering linkage if he does happen to get a 250

Edited by Atom6246

Get either a 125 or 250f. The 125 and 250f are about the same height but the 125 being much lighter. Easier to work on. Less money to repair.

Both bikes will be a little big for him at first but he'll get used to it. The 125 is gonna be super fun to ride. The 250f will too but in a different way.

I've ridden a 150r and it's got a huge load of bottom end torque and power, but it really isn't a "fast" bike speed wise. It's just very torquey.

The 250f will be the same way but have more top speed along with the torque.

The 125 is gonna have a flatter bottom end power but wakes up and it's very fun to ride. I just got one and i love the thing. It makes you ride with a big smile when you're in the power band pulling the front wheel off the ground.

My cousin is a little taller than your friend and he can ride my 125 with stock suspension. He just swings his leg over and leans to one side to touch. But if you sag the suspension down a little he'll have no problem and be glad he went with a bigger bike. He can keep it forever if he wants. I wouldn't soften up the suspension though, just sag it a little. I'm the same size as your friend but about a foot taller and the suspension feels nice to me. Doesn't sag too much, doesn't feel hard hitting but sags enough when you sit on it to make it feel right.

he can ride a 250f/125 as they're they same size seat wise, year depending of course. THough a 125 is significantly lighter as I found out the first time i tried to load my 250 after a day riding:P , it will just take getting used to as mentioned here. having your seat shaved can suck, or can not suck.. jeff @SDGUSA did mine with almost 1" cut and it looks stock almost because the lines wee kept, and feels great. i'm 5"2, 145lbs and I ride a 125 and 250f as well as have (but didnt like lol) a 450f, way too much power for my size. You can get a lowering link or get the the suspension setup for his size and weight. I used to have a link on both bikes and it did the job, got my 250f suspension respring for me and its much better, i can tiptoe on 1 side and stop normally anytime and all of that. like people have said, it just takes getting used to. Being 2" smaller then me, though, I would suggest getting the suspension done for his weight and shortened slightly. there's a few'pros' (who i absolutely guarantee are better then your friend yourself and me all combined into 1 person!) who have shortened suspension, like fiolek. she had it cut a small amount to help out and i'm guessing it didn't do much harm, you know, being wmx champ a few times:P Also virtually every pro has their seat cut one way or another, though not th extreme we're talking about here or the 1" i have done.

Either way, if he is really into it and really wants to, he can pull it off I think. It will be a rocky road, it was hell for me at first being 2" taller so i can only imagine for yoru friend. Just be sure to ge thte suspension resprung it will help for sure.

Good luck!

Edited by iggle

Ok here is the deal... I am 5-1" and 125 pounds and I am riding the cr85r and I have been looking at a crf150rb that I want to change out the wheels out on the shorten the bike back to the size of my 85...I would love to have the power of a 250 but I think the weight will kill me if I go down so I was hoping to get the 150 and modify the power without messing with suspension or ride height more than I already will be with the smaller wheels. That being said how much hp can I squeeze out of the 150? An will I be disappointed after riding my cr85?

Just go with a 125. You can get one for a good price and you'll have a blast riding it. Drop the suspension a little bit or just start it leaning against something.

A 150 has a ton of bottom end torque and power but that's about it. It's a torquey bike.

the 125 will have toned down bottom end power and a nice span of power once the power band hits.