What sprockets are you guys running?

Being the heavier slower old guy that I am becoming.

I am thinking I might as well go up in back and maybe even delete a tooth in front since I don't plan on needing 5th gear.

Is there any disadantage to gearing down at the MX track?

Is it possible to kill the top end punch at the MX track by gearing down to low?

Being the heavier slower old guy that I am becoming.

I am thinking I might as well go up in back and maybe even delete a tooth in front since I don't plan on needing 5th gear.

Is there any disadantage to gearing down at the MX track?

Is it possible to kill the top end punch at the MX track by gearing down to low?

I think If I was getting older and slower (which I guess I am) I'd go the other way. Mellow the bike out a little and shift less.

What model bike have you got? The 09 is relatively weak off the bottom, then hits in the mid revs. So it needs the gears close together. 13/51 or lower. All the other models have a good power spread and can easily use more spaced out gears.

Gearing is also greatly dependent on you and the target track. eg. There might be some jump out of some corner and you want the revs in a certain range on the approach, so you might run 13/48 and take it in second, or 13/50 and do it in third. I'm light and the 06 has broad power so these days I just run 13/48 everywhere and it rips. When I used 13/50 then I used a longer 116 link chain to keep the axle aft because I like the handling that way.

Edited by numroe